F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More blower noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Bruce, lots of threads and posts around here about if/how/when a tune affects the warranty. Put simply, yes it invalidates the warranty, whether it be the "without pulley" tune or the "with pulley tune", which is the main reason I waited until the warranty expired before I got the pulley installed.
That said it depends a lot on what your potential warranty claim is for (eg engine/drive train related or not) and your dealer. If the claim is engine and/or drive train related (eg a blown engine, even if you are sure it was not caused or contributed to in any way by the tune) then you are screwed, but if it's something completely unrelated (eg sound system) then you have a chance depending on how "hard ball" your dealer is.
Some dealers will notice the unavoidable code (non standard ECU calibration) that their SDD system will see and make a fuss about, others either won't notice or won't make a fuss.
You pays your money and you takes your chances!

The following users liked this post:
BruceTheQuail (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Cheers, yes I did that in my s60R with no problems at all. I'll have to figure out what I'd rather - car with more blower noise or car with more warranty. But ultimately every time I've paid for a longer warranty on a car I've spent $3K plus and either have sold the car within a year or never claimed on it.

With the F Type I'd be completely happy if it had more supercharger whine so that might keep me in it longer and actually save a bucket on changing cars (this is how justification works). Extra power would be fine too but I'm happy enough with grunt as it is - I cant use it on the road with speed cameras everywhere, and I prefer to use Jag's cars on driver days - it is more the sound that drives me.

I have to say I'm leaning toward getting the tune and pulley. You got it all from VAP?

Old 06-11-2018, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member

Bruce, it's in my sig!
Tune from VAP but pulley kit from Eurotoys.
The Eurotoys pulley is the exact same size as the VAP one but it's generally cheaper and was going on special at the time (15% off???) so that's why I bought it.
I would have liked to stay loyal to VAP but the Eurotoys deal was too tempting and the timing was just right.
The other difference is the Eurotoys pulley is anodized aluminium whereas the VAP one is steel (although I think VAP do an aluminium version as well).
Being aluminium it is a bit lighter and as a result spins up quicker (= slightly better acceleration), but the downside is it may have a lesser balancing effect than the steel pulley although I haven't had a single problem.
As I said before, yer pays yer money and yer takes yer chances!

BruceTheQuail (06-11-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 06:21 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Chris,
I have reported elsewhere on this forum that when I applied the VAP "without pulley" tune to my V6 the SC whine didn't change, it was still almost non-existent, but as soon as I put the larger lower/crank pulley and associated tune on I got heaps of SC whine, especially under WOT. Apparently that is because the 2nd tune closes the SC bypass valve (inside/on top of the SC) more and sooner.
I haven't yet seen any F-Type V8 owners with the lower pulley upgrade and associated tune reporting this same effect, so who knows if it even exists on the V8, but I can't see why VAP would have this feature in the V6 tune but not the V8 tune.
Bottom line - if one or more V8 owners chime in and confirm they are now getting lots of SC whine as a result of the VAP "with pulley" tune then that is the way you should go as well. Never mind that the pulley and tune will take you from 550 PS to 610 PS+!
Hey

I have been reading many threads on this and had seen your previous comments. A pulley upgrade is out of the question for me due to warranty.

So far I’ve removed the engine cover and the insulation under the bonnet. This has improved the noise slightly already, I heard the S/C for the first time with my own ears today (that Annan external mic and GoPro recording).

The new stainless intake should be shipped today so we’ll see if this makes any improvements.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:32 AM
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Puntoboy

Hey

I have been reading many threads on this and had seen your previous comments. A pulley upgrade is out of the question for me due to warranty.

So far I’ve removed the engine cover and the insulation under the bonnet. This has improved the noise slightly already, I heard the S/C for the first time with my own ears today (that Annan external mic and GoPro recording).

The new stainless intake should be shipped today so we’ll see if this makes any improvements.

What is this stainless intake you speak off, can you post up pictures when you get it please, also if it installed too?

Old 06-12-2018, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

Gibbo,
Puntoboy (Chris) has an XFR-S not an F-Type so whatever intake he is getting would not fit an F-Type.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:35 AM

Gibbo,
Puntoboy (Chris) has an XFR-S not an F-Type so whatever intake he is getting would not fit an F-Type.
looking at th diagram in the OP it’s not that dissimilar to the main intake tube on the F-Type before it drops down behind the headlights.

The difference for the XF is there is room for the air filters inside the engine bay whereas on the F-Type there is not.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

looking at th diagram in the OP it’s not that dissimilar to the main intake tube on the F-Type before it drops down behind the headlights.

The difference for the XF is there is room for the air filters inside the engine bay whereas on the F-Type there is not.
Is this an off-the-shelf item or did you have this custom fabricated? I is this an off-the-shelf item or did you have this custom fabricated?

Old 06-12-2018, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd

Is this an off-the-shelf item or did you have this custom fabricated? I is this an off-the-shelf item or did you have this custom fabricated?
I’m buying it second hand but I believe the previous owner had it fabricated.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

I dont know whether this has already been posted here, but see this thread with a nice clip of the sound in it. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...2/#post1911489

OzXFR (06-13-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

I’m buying it second hand but I believe the previous owner had it fabricated.
Too bad. I would have liked to have seen if that might fit on the F-Type.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:06 PM
Received 118 Likes on 29 Posts

Does anyone know the length of the Eventuri intake pipes? I have been thinking of fabbing and intake since the moment I purchased this car.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:30 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone ever figure out about the Mina intake? If it is in production for the f type yet?

Old 06-13-2018, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ntbrinkl
Anyone ever figure out about the Mina intake? If it is in production for the f type yet?
Still nothing on the Mina web site so little chance it is in production.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:09 PM
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

This is a great thread and I find it interesting that this same subject permeates the C7 Z06 Forum....” I want more whine out of the S/C.” What’s amazing to me and I have already been told by members on this Forum, that lack of enthusiasts types of issues (gauge package and no dipstick are two that come to mind) is designed into the car because the buyers aren’t looking for that. That single point is one of the biggest arguments between the Z06 and Hellcat owners. The Hellcat howls like a banshee when you drive it....S/C whime starts at about 2500 rpm and is completely outrageous (a.k.a. fantastic) from 4000 rpm, up! Why is it the that manufacturers decide what we buyers want without asking us? In a forced air induction car, hearing the howl of the blower ( turbo or S/C) is almost orgasmic to most all owners who bought that specific package!!

Old 06-13-2018, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I dont know whether this has already been posted here, but see this thread with a nice clip of the sound in it. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...2/#post1911489
Thanks Bruce.
Please let us know if/how the blower and/or induction noise changes after you fit the BMC filters, as my filters are due for replacement in 7 months' time anyway and BMC is one option I was considering.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

I'm telling you guys...the only way you're going to get that Hellcat sound is with open cone filters. In dynamic mode, my supercharger is so loud it turns heads and sounds like a police siren. If somebody can explain to me how to post a video clip here, I'll do it.

-Mina Gallery intake pipe
-Specter Cone Filters
-Remove engine cover
-Remove hood insulation

That's it.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Bruce.
Please let us know if/how the blower and/or induction noise changes after you fit the BMC filters, as my filters are due for replacement in 7 months' time anyway and BMC is one option I was considering.
The whine in that video is negligible compared with that coming from my MINI. No special filter element needed, just the sound baffle door in the airbox left open. Exchanging all of the plastic piping and baffles in the F-type with stainless or polished aluminum smooth piping would do the trick nicely.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member

Cheers, that is probably achieved by taking out the other filter (the one the fellow called a carbon blowback filter).

I've got the filters but it looks like a production and a half to get at the boxes so I'll have my local wheel guys do it next week. While it might not be as good as the sound from the Mini, it was pretty loud compared to stock and doesnt require the major surgery and no warranty risk.

What I find curious is that in Jag's promotional videos for the project 8 and F Pace SVR the cars have significant supercharger whine, but when you hear the cars being driven in other clips it doesnt sound as though it is present at all. My dream car would have the whine like the Project 8 purports to in this clip

Old 06-13-2018, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member

Bruce, see post#131 in this thread, not really a big job to change the air filters.

BruceTheQuail (06-13-2018)