Sponsored by:

More blower noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 12:15 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
Our prayers are answered with a simple mod kit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GRmBeSZVyU
Maybe I missed it but what mods are done in this video? Are these just the ITG come filters only?

edit: Nevermind I rewatched the video and figured it out lol.

Last edited by FR500GT; 06-24-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:40 PM
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Our prayers are answered with a simple mod kit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GRmBeSZVyU
www.fosterscmods.com.

Drill a hole in the firewall and in the MAF tube, connect these two holes with a tube and a plastic diaphragm that transmits sound...

No thank you....

Old 06-24-2018, 08:38 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

ok so after hearing that whine sound on the video, i'm out

in hindsight it sounded better in theory than it actually does irl

Old 06-25-2018, 11:19 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Unfortunately you won't be able to hear that from the outside, and it's much too loud through the 'sound tube'....

However, making it much more subtle (pipe in less sound) might be worthwhile for some of us.

Until someone switches to cone filters (with no other mods), we don't know if it works as well as it did on the XF.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:49 PM
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Is this enough SC whine for you guys.

In person sounds even better.

The following 3 users liked this post by Gibbo205:
alphakinase (07-24-2018), BruceTheQuail (07-24-2018), Chawumba (07-25-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 01:50 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

How did you achieve that?

Old 07-24-2018, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by alphakinase
How did you achieve that?

I spotted on Project 7 and 8 images of early prototypes Jaguar worked with ITG who make performance filters, a British company and as such I contacted ITG to confirm if true and they did indeed confirm that SVO ran their intakes on the first Project 7 and 8 cars during testing because of course early prototypes there was no ABS moulded air boxes made yet and in the end Jaguar just used the standard air boxes for F-Type and made new air boxes and intake kit for Project 8.

So £245 later I had a pair of ITG maxogen cone filters (foam media with outer oil layer) along with some silicon couplers and jubilee clips.

I can post up install pictures if useful but just a case of remove stock air boxes and put ITG in their place, lots of SC whine and a good quality filter with no risk of maf fouling as the oiled layer is on the outside foam, interior foam is dry, kind of a dual approach to get better filtering, better flow and of course the new filters weigh literally nothing, so a weight saving too.

The following 4 users liked this post by Gibbo205:
15FTypeR (07-25-2018), alphakinase (07-24-2018), BruceTheQuail (07-24-2018), dmchao (07-26-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 02:18 PM

Wait wasn’t I the one who found the ITG logo on those pics you posted? Credit where it’s due my friend

Seriously though the install and price are very reasonable. I wonder if it would bolt to the XE, it sounds like it should. Pics of the install would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:34 PM

I spotted on Project 7 and 8 images of early prototypes Jaguar worked with ITG who make performance filters, a British company and as such I contacted ITG to confirm if true and they did indeed confirm that SVO ran their intakes on the first Project 7 and 8 cars during testing because of course early prototypes there was no ABS moulded air boxes made yet and in the end Jaguar just used the standard air boxes for F-Type and made new air boxes and intake kit for Project 8.

So £245 later I had a pair of ITG maxogen cone filters (foam media with outer oil layer) along with some silicon couplers and jubilee clips.

I can post up install pictures if useful but just a case of remove stock air boxes and put ITG in their place, lots of SC whine and a good quality filter with no risk of maf fouling as the oiled layer is on the outside foam, interior foam is dry, kind of a dual approach to get better filtering, better flow and of course the new filters weigh literally nothing, so a weight saving too.
Do we know if these will fit across all F-Type platforms? Maybe we can get a group buy going.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by FR500GT
Do we know if these will fit across all F-Type platforms? Maybe we can get a group buy going.
All all V6 and V8 use the same dual air boxes, then in theory yes should work across all F-Types.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:53 PM

Do post some pics and part numbers as well for ordering from ITG would be great.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

One more question Gibbo - are the new cone filters just "hanging" on the tubing but not wobbly because they are mounted nice and stiff, or did you have to figure out a way of tying them down to stop them from wobbling around such as using some sort of bracket?

Old 07-25-2018, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
One more question Gibbo - are the new cone filters just "hanging" on the tubing but not wobbly because they are mounted nice and stiff, or did you have to figure out a way of tying them down to stop them from wobbling around such as using some sort of bracket?
The upper part of the induction system is mounted in place and as these filters use silicon hose which is also firm and the filter have zero weight, they do not move around or wobble so to speak.

I shall post up pictures and install guide later, just very busy with work.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:42 PM

If I can get ahold of these filters soon enough, I can probably get a before and after dyno to see if it has any increase in flow/power. Who do I need to contact?

Old 07-25-2018, 04:01 PM

Dyno would be great. I feel like a decrease in power is almost as likely as an increase with mods like this. If anything it’ll be very slight in either direction, but worth the SC sound either way.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by alphakinase
Dyno would be great. I feel like a decrease in power is almost as likely as an increase with mods like this. If anything it’ll be very slight in either direction, but worth the SC sound either way.
My thoughts exactly. Please let us know who to contact when you get a minute Gibbo205!

Old 07-25-2018, 07:52 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Very interested in parts list, etc.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:19 AM

Hi there

Sorry for the delay guys, mega busy at work with setting up deals for our customers on PC hardware.
Anyway back to this.

So company is question is British ITG performance air filters who worked with SVO on the Project 7 and Project 8 prototype cars, hence them having this option, though its not an official part or one advertised by themselves but was spotted by a forum member here, credit to them above and I then made the communication with ITG.

Those after a group buy or purchasing these as I doubt their is a discount because the kit is very low price to begin with at £245 excluding taxes and shipping:
Sahd Sharif
Development Engineer
Induction Technology Group Ltd
Siskin Drive
Coventry
CV3 4FJ
Tel: 024 7630 5386
Fax: 024 7630 7999
Email: technical@itgairfilters.com
Email2: sahd.sharif@itgairfilters.com

I'd advise dropping them an email, they can supply more kits, no idea if they'd do a group buy and how they feel about shipping to international/US but cannot see an issue.

Anyway the install and some notes:

This is what you get in the kit:
Pair of ITG maxogen cone foam filters (oiled only on outside) with re-inforcement inside to prevent collapse, pair of silicon hoses, 4x jubilee clips.

I would advice as additional items you will need some cables ties and velcro or adhesive fabric.

So I installed by jacking up front of car and removing front wheels, I left the bumper on the car, of course that is another option to simply remove the front bumper, you can do either. Then remove the factory air boxes, do note on drivers side (UK) some harnesses are clipped to the air box, so disconnect them before trying to remove the air box and cable tie them out the way. Remove the stock air boxes and put the screws back in the air box for maf tube and securing bolt tape to air box so you don't lose those parts should you ever wish to go back to stock.

On my car the SVR the front vents are functional and open for downforce and cooling reasons, as such I needed to tweak the filters a little in their fitment to ensure they were behind the splash guards / blanks, whatever you prefer to call them so that when it does rain they are somewhat shielded from getting soaked.

I also noted that the cone filters metal base was touching the metal frame of the car, this is where the velcro or fabric comes into use as you never want any metal on metal contact with the induction system or possibility of metal on metal clunking anywhere in the intake, engine or exhaust system. Reason for this is our cars will be fitted with two or four knock sensors which monitor for engine detonation and as such retard or advance the timing (spark). Any metal on metal clanking can cause false knock, if this occurs your ECU will retard timing an thus reduce power. Hence me mentioning the need for velcro or sticky fabric to stick to the metal base part of the cone filter where it may knock against the metal frame structure in the engine bay. Hope that makes sense. Of course if your front vents have no opening like some models, then you can simply locate the filters in a slightly different position where they cannot touch.

Some pictures of them install and if you look closely you will see the velcro fabric:

View from above:

View from behind wheel arch liner:

View showing how front SVR vents are functional and open:

So you will see the Velcro on the metal parts of the cone filters if you look closely where they may touch against the cars metal frame, in short I pretty much covered half of the cone filters metal base on the side where it might touch. I will say however that as the filters are extremely light and the fact they do not wobble, wiggle or move that any clanking or banging is extremely unlikely and as such chance of false knock very unlikely, but when I do things I like to do them right.

The car drives the same, there is no ill effects, power feels no different but on a 600HP car you will never notice 10HP loss or gain. I also left the snorkels in place, due to the air ducting I have to catch cold air so made sense to leave them, but of course you could remove the snorkels if you wish to save further weight but they are only plastic items and weigh a few grams. Of course the cooler the air you can feed to your intake can help reduce IAT and as the cars mapping for spark advances uses IAT and knock sensors, lowering IAT can give you some additional spark advance, just like on a cold day cars feel faster, that is because on cold days you make more of the power you should have due to lower IAT.

The noise gains are totally worth it though, there is audible whine in the cabin, especially so if you put the exhaust to quiet and go partial/medium throttle and from the outside it is very loud indeed if you give some throttle, people will look around for sure now and SC whine is very rare to hear on any modern car.

Hope that answers peoples questions.

Last edited by Gibbo205; 07-26-2018 at 07:36 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Gibbo205:
alphakinase (07-28-2018), Chawumba (07-26-2018), Unhingd (07-26-2018), WayneB (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 10:53 AM
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Something to be aware of, I used to use an ITG foam filter just like these on my BMW M Roadster cold air intake and after a few years of uses I noticed the foam started to rot. Pieces of foam (lots of them) would just crumble off the filter. I was worried that pieces of plastic foam would get sucked into the engine and do damage so I promptly removed the ITG filter and replaced it with a Amzoil double cone pleated gauze filter, that uses no oil. Other people on the BMW forum reported the same issue and recommended the Amzoil filter.
Since this mod does seem to work so well at increasing blower whine. Why doesn't the Eventuri Intake system seem to make as big of difference in whine? It's basically the same thing but with a shroud around the sides?
Thank for doing this.
Wayne

Old 07-26-2018, 11:10 AM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by WayneB
Why doesn't the Eventuri Intake system seem to make as big of difference in whine? It's basically the same thing but with a shroud around the sides?
Thank for doing this.
Wayne
Was thinking the exact same thing. Perhaps the sound is more noticeable on SVR models as they have the functional vents? If a SC whines inside the bumper cover, but no one is there to hear....