Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   More blower noise (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/more-blower-noise-176192/)

G4Z808 02-03-2017 01:04 PM

More blower noise

So im on a quest to get more SC whine. I've searched through the forums using the search bar and have read all the threads i could find relating to intakes, but havent found exactly what im looking for.

Im not trying to get any more flow through the intakes , i just want more induction noise, I understand the SC on the F Type is made to be quiet, but near redline it sounds so good.

On the diagram below i think #3 & #4 are silencers for the intake system, has anybody tried removing them ? I know the Eventuri intake replaces it, but im not looking to spend $2k just for a slight noise increase.

Has anyone else done anything to get more noise from the SC/intake. I'm thinking of getting the lower pully from VAP, but that probably wont happen till later this year. I have also removed my engine cover, and that did help make it a bit louder

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...67678b2ec9.jpg

jfranks 02-03-2017 01:42 PM

When I had an STI, there was an intake elbow used to silence the turbo noise that we'd remove. It was before the air filter panel too.

Does the aftermarket intake like the Eventuri make increased noise?

G4Z808 02-03-2017 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by jfranks (Post 1613962)
When I had an STI, there was an intake elbow used to silence the turbo noise that we'd remove. It was before the air filter panel too.

Does the aftermarket intake like the Eventuri make increased noise?

I'd guess so , since it uses a open element filter,

OzXFR 02-03-2017 03:40 PM

On the XF SC and XFR some have increased the blower noise a little by cutting off the resonators then plastiwelding a cover piece over each hole.
Two of them on the F-Type, on the under side of the top/centre pipes, number 9 in the pic and the same just under part number 8.

Cambo 02-03-2017 03:47 PM

There are three insulating foam pads around the supercharger, one underneath, one on each side, take them out you'll get more noise.

But! They probably serve a purpose of insulating heat too...

Burt Gummer 02-03-2017 03:50 PM

The quiet supercharger is one of the only design letdowns of the F-type - all personal taste of course.

I loved the whine of my Ford Lightning and a Dodge Hellcat with the proper CAI is glorious sounding.

ek993 02-03-2017 05:47 PM

More supercharger whine would definitely be on my wishlist as well.

This is the second supercharged car I have owned , had a supercharged Lotus Elise around 8 years ago and replacing the standard airbox with a factory TRD one gave the most amazing whine., absolutely loved it

Wish Jag offered an alternative to stock, maybe the SVR team could develop something.

SinF 02-03-2017 06:48 PM

I personally don't like blower noise, for that reason outside track days I always put engine cover back on.

frank james 02-03-2017 09:15 PM

Call Chris at Mina Gallery --- he just made aluminum intake tubes for my f type and they eliminate noise restrictiors and look very cool and only cost a couple hundred $

OzXFR 02-03-2017 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by frank james (Post 1614214)
Call Chris at Mina Gallery --- he just made aluminum intake tubes for my f type and they eliminate noise restrictiors and look very cool and only cost a couple hundred $

Pics or it didn't happen!

Stohlen 02-03-2017 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR (Post 1614215)
Pics or it didn't happen!

Sound clips or it didn't happen?

frank james 02-03-2017 10:25 PM

If you want more information and pictures --- look up Mina gallery online and look up XFR ---- performance items -they look the same as for the f type --- he does show them for f type yet but they are available ------ mine were installed on my 15 f type r a few weeks ago ----- he has lots of other Carbon fibre parts also not shown online

OzXFR 02-03-2017 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by frank james (Post 1614232)
If you want more information and pictures --- look up Mina gallery online and look up XFR ---- performance items -they look the same as for the f type --- he does show them for f type yet but they are available ------ mine were installed on my 15 f type r a few weeks ago ----- he has lots of other Carbon fibre parts also not shown online

Sorry, this doesn't make sense to me, I have both an XFR and an F-Type, and I can tell you that the induction tubing is completely different.

Stuart@VelocityAP 02-03-2017 11:50 PM

Here's a weird one for you. Drove my friend's 2WD 'R' extensively, it's the one in our exhaust videos. After we put a tune on it - supercharger noise increased substantially. And that was independent of actual boost levels. Going through the changes in the software I don't see a reason but then subsequently multiple customers reported the same after we tuned their cars.

Still don't know exactly why, but it seems to be repeatable.

DirtyAir 02-04-2017 12:03 AM

Stuart,

It sure seemed like the supercharger was louder to me, but it's so subjective. And I was running it pretty had to test the tune. I need more time with it.

If you build something that will give us the ability to hear the whine better, put me in line for the first V8s run!

Mike

Stuart@VelocityAP 02-04-2017 12:29 AM

Will do Mike. You get that exhaust fitted yet?

DirtyAir 02-04-2017 12:37 AM

Not yet.. it's been raining and I want some dry pavement to get the pre-install video. Got a little video when it was dry, but the GoPro was too far out in the wind so the sound wasn't great.

Mike

F-typical 02-04-2017 05:36 AM

There is - presumably - a bit of plumbing between the s/c outlet and the throttle body that dumps excess boost back to before the s/c intake. If that were disconnected and vented to atmosphere...

G4Z808 02-04-2017 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by F-typical (Post 1614323)
There is - presumably - a bit of plumbing between the s/c outlet and the throttle body that dumps excess boost back to before the s/c intake. If that were disconnected and vented to atmosphere...

Kinda like a BOV on a turbo car ? Didn't know SC cars had those, anyone know where the recirc hose is ?

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP (Post 1614257)
Here's a weird one for you. Drove my friend's 2WD 'R' extensively, it's the one in our exhaust videos. After we put a tune on it - supercharger noise increased substantially. And that was independent of actual boost levels. Going through the changes in the software I don't see a reason but then subsequently multiple customers reported the same after we tuned their cars.

Still don't know exactly why, but it seems to be repeatable.

Interesting, I just ordered your tune for the V6S yesterday, hopefully I can replicate what your hearing

Stohlen 02-04-2017 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by F-typical (Post 1614323)

This would either cause A... a massive boost leak, or B... unmetered air getting into your engine and subsequently it running lean. Would not advise before truly understanding where that air is going.