F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dashcam Integrated with Rearview Mirror Assembly

Old 08-21-2023, 11:26 PM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Dashcam Integrated with Rearview Mirror Assembly

Was curious if anyone has experience with this dashcam product that mounts behind the rear view mirror, replacing the OEM shroud that covers the rain sensors and other tech in that location with a new shroud which contains the camera, SD card slot and plug that taps into power from the auto-dimming rearview mirror.

https://fitcamx.com/products/fitcamx...ar-f-type-x152

Old 08-22-2023, 08:48 AM
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks interesting. I may be a candidate also.

Old 08-22-2023, 09:28 AM
Received 358 Likes on 229 Posts

I agree it looks like an interesting design. I would like to have a dash cam but want it to be as unobtrusive as possible and am loathe to start pulling trim pieces off in order to run wires. That one has a good solution and appears to be an easy & simple install with plug & play capability.

Of course if you want a matching rear camera plus coverage when the car is parked wires need to be run down the A pillars to the fuse block and around to the rear hatch but it sure looks like an easy install for just a forward camera.

Old 08-22-2023, 11:43 AM
Received 129 Likes on 77 Posts

Deleted for incorrect statement.

Last edited by Ray Ray; 08-22-2023 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-22-2023, 04:45 PM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
iirc you lose whatever is mounted up there, automatic high beam and/or headlight leveling.
I certainly can't say for sure, but based on the installation video, there doesn't seem to be any removal or disconnection of OEM hardware/sensors, which are compartmentalized in a pod that is sealed against the windshield. The camera looks as if it plugs inline into the OEM power source.

Old 08-22-2023, 05:25 PM
Received 129 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin_jag
I certainly can't say for sure, but based on the installation video, there doesn't seem to be any removal or disconnection of OEM hardware/sensors, which are compartmentalized in a pod that is sealed against the windshield. The camera looks as if it plugs inline into the OEM power source.
my brain just clicked, i got it messed up with frameless mirror retrofit!

Old 08-23-2023, 09:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I actually attempted to buy this exact unit several months ago. Additionally, JagMadness has what appears to be the same exact unit. What's unfortunate, is that it won't work if you have the auto high-beam lense as it occupies that space in the mirror assembly.

For what it's worth, I asked JagMadness about a unit that's compatible for vehicles with auto high-beam. They got back to me right away (over the phone even) and said they'd look into it. That interaction was more recent, about 90 days ago.

Last edited by zochmenos; 08-23-2023 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Mispell/grammar
Old 08-23-2023, 10:28 PM
Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by zochmenos
I actually attempted to buy this exact unit several months ago. Additionally, JagMadness has what appears to be the same exact unit. What's unfortunate, is that it won't work if you have the auto high-beam lense as it occupies that space in the mirror assembly.

For what it's worth, I asked JagMadness about a unit that's compatible for vehicles with auto high-beam. They got back to me right away (over the phone even) and said they'd look into it. That interaction was more recent, about 90 days ago.
Don't hold your breathe as there isn't enough room for both. You will have to forgo one or the other to get the integrated look.

Old 08-23-2023, 10:37 PM

I think it wouldn't be too hard to add a small bump out below or to the passenger side to accommodate both; however, I am indeed not holding my breath.

Last edited by zochmenos; 08-23-2023 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 08-24-2023, 07:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have opted instead for a Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2, it fits perfectly behind the rearview mirror on passenger side and it takes nothing from my filed of view. I´ve tucked away the supply wire behind trim all the way to armrest 12V port and used its own power adapter, it starts by itself when I start the engine and stops automatically when I switch off the engine. Very easy installation, camera cost around 130 USD. The downside - you have to use the phone for viewing recordings, and it is only 1080p resolution.

Old 08-25-2023, 07:54 AM
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm very interested in this also, but I sure would prefer not to be an early adopter. If we had several forum members that report success, I'm in.

In the install video he sure is shoving a lot of wire back into the housing. Seems the harness is unnecessarily long? Any problems with this step?

There is a port (USB?) on the lower right side - does anyone know what that's for?

Old 08-25-2023, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Clutch
I'm very interested in this also, but I sure would prefer not to be an early adopter. If we had several forum members that report success, I'm in.

In the install video he sure is shoving a lot of wire back into the housing. Seems the harness is unnecessarily long? Any problems with this step?

There is a port (USB?) on the lower right side - does anyone know what that's for?

Just guessing, but I imagine a USB port would be for file transfer and the buttons for capture/transfer options. I think it's important to note, this is very likely a Chinese operation, so the pictures provided could be real but could also be chopped, cut, and pasted to give purchasers "the gist" of what the final product will look like.

Last time I checked, it had no reviews on Jagmadness, which is not surprising given the number of owners who very likely have the OEM lens in that space (more than those who don't, I'd guess). I would have given it a chance, but the sellers in the OP messaged me after purchase to tell me it wasn't compatible and offered a refund, which I took.

Old 04-10-2024, 05:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently use the Mercylion hidden dash cam. It integrates seamlessly with the rearview mirror assembly, offering both dashcam and rearview mirror functionality in one unit. The 9.35-inch touchscreen display provides clear visuals, and the 1080P resolution ensures high-quality video recordings. It's easy to install and offers convenient features like loop recording, parking mode, and G-sensor technology for added protection on the road.

Old 04-10-2024, 06:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,

I find the mirror dash cam to be the perfect invisible solution.
I have installed it in two vehicles so far and the quality of the recordings was really good.

Unfortunately, I haven't yet found an option for our Jag with an automatic low beam function in the mirror.

greetings Frank

Old 04-10-2024, 03:47 PM
Received 124 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhli

Hello,

I find the mirror dash cam to be the perfect invisible solution.
I have installed it in two vehicles so far and the quality of the recordings was really good.

Unfortunately, I haven't yet found an option for our Jag with an automatic low beam function in the mirror.

greetings Frank
Which model of dash cam did you install in the other cars? Was it the FITCAMX mentioned above?

Old 04-11-2024, 05:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello MajorTom,

The dashcam for the Audi was from InCarBite. The cable still had to be laid under the cladding.
But it wasn't bad either.

I think the Fitcamx is great because you can get the power from the roof control unit.
I would have bought it straight away if the Jag hadn't already installed the light sensor there.

Greetings Frank

Last edited by Kuhli; 04-11-2024 at 05:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MajorTom (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 08:21 AM
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I was looking at the Fitcamx as well but didn't know about the light sensor. Hardwiring for parking mode looks like a PITA too so it looks to be a total pass for me now. Its seems due to the F-Type's small windshield our choices in dashcams are very limited. I've seen other posts from here and Reddit of dashcams installed in a F-Type but the wiring looked awful, lol.