Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio goes off when passenger gets in or out

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 10:05 AM
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Radio goes off when passenger gets in or out

I am in a 2014 Coupe RHD.
When the passenger door is opened wide my radio goes off for about two seconds then comes back on. Has anyone else had this?

Old 12-30-2017, 10:38 AM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

I don't have this issue, but I wouldn't change a thing. What a classic Jaguar idiocentricity . Just think how many times you will be able to remark, "It's a Jaguar, what can I say."

Old 12-30-2017, 10:40 AM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

Perhaps the clue is in opened WIDE. Wire being stretched?

Old 12-30-2017, 11:04 AM

Does the Ariel cable run along the door? I would have thought that went down the centre.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:13 AM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Gollom122
Does the Ariel cable run along the door? I would have thought that went down the centre.
I was thinking of wires to a speaker, temp short?

Old 12-30-2017, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by malbec
I was thinking of wires to a speaker, temp short?
I need to confirm, but I think it only happens on radio. I have had windows replaced in both doors, so the short could be correct if radio and bluetooth both have this behaviour.
I'll report back.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

On a 2014 with the IAM2.1 system fitted the coax to the radio antennas run from the IAM between the seats straight up the C pillars to the antenna modules.

Malbec's suggestion of a temp short or open circuit to the passenger door speakers sounds feasible. A short might cause the amplifier to either restart itself or maybe temporarily stop the outputs until it detects the fault has gone if it goes open circuit. Can you reproduce it consistently, and if so is it only when the door is in certain positions?

I'm guessing you've had your windows replaced for the vertical scratching if it has been done to both doors. That requires the door-side connectors to be disconnected from the speakers and the harness temporarily re-routed so it is possible that it hasn't been put back together correctly.

I don't suppose you have had the radio rattle fix done as well have you? If that is done incorrectly it can result in the harnesses becoming too rigid and putting strain on the connectors. There should be about 100mm of unbundled wires at each connector to prevent that. It is not unfeasible that with the door opened wide there is enough strain put on a speaker connector that it has 'stretched' the female pin/s so they make a poor connection.

I also recall a DAB module update to resolve a buffer overlow restart that took around 2 seconds, so if it only occurs with the digital radio and not other audio sources that may be the cause. It only affected early cars, and was common across all the JLR vehicles using the same DAB modules when the UK changed the way it transmitted DAB signals.

In the UK a 2014 will be out of the original warranty period now, but if the windows were done under warranty then you may have some luck taking it back and claiming the fault appeared after the work was done. If nothing else you may get free diagnostics.

Otherwise I would remove the door card/trim and check for any damage to the harness, and check the speaker connectors are snug. You can pop the female pins out and make sure the sprung 'tang' has not been bent out of position so they make good contact with the male pins. Check for signs of water ingress - you will get water on the outer half of the door by design but if the inner bulkhead has not been refitted correctly you may get some on the dry side causing problems. I'd also check the drain holes in the base of the door are not blocked while you are there.

The following 2 users liked this post by xdave:
DuhCar (12-30-2017), SinF (01-02-2018)
Old 12-31-2017, 09:20 AM

Thanks - all good information here. I bought the car used nine months ago with the 2 year warranty from Jaguar. First thing i did was have the scratched windows replaced so cannot say if the car had the door issue prior or not. I also have not experienced a rattle but the previous owner may have done.
I'll do a bit of testing in the next few days to see what I can narrow down, but all fingers are pointing at the mechanics that replaced the windows (of which one does not quite fully seal) so it will be going in at some point.

Cheers

Old 12-31-2017, 09:40 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Have you tried the 'window reset' procedure, for the window that doesn't quite seal? Try searching here for that, as there are reports that the procedure in the manual may or may not work.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:44 AM

First off - window reset will not get the drivers window to sit right. The top corner adjacent to the rear window is not square and not high enough - dealer job.
As for the radio issue. I have spent a bit of time on this following the above comments. It happens when the door is actually a third open and I can swing the door through this part of the arc causing the fault to happen. It does not happen when source is on FM, it does not happen when source is on BT. It only happens when on DAB radio and I can make it happen consistently.
Guessing this is also a dealer job.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:16 AM

Just dropped the car off at the dealer. Said that the extended warranty may not cover the job if it's a DAB module or similar.
I thought the extended warranty was exactly that - an extension to the three year warranty not some third party limited warranty?
I also pointed out that I've only had the fault since they replaced both door windows.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:02 AM

Update. Dealer said they found a poor connection to the DAB Ariel on the rear side window. Fingers crossed that this cures the fault. No charge by the way.