Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob checking in ** in need of guidance please**

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 05:09 PM
Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Noob checking in ** in need of guidance please**

Hello from Seattle!

New to the forum and Jaguar. Longtime gear-head with Porsche and MB AMG experience.

I was in search of a topless sunday driver and wanting to buy a Boxter GTS when I happended on a 2014 F-Type 'R coupe RWD and have now fallen hopelessly in love! The exhaust note has me hooked and I am now in the hunt full bore!!

I need some help - I drove the above mentioned coupe and have since driven a cabrio in the V6SC to make sure I fit properly in the cab (6'2 & 220Lbs) . Clear to me that I want a V8 for sure but I can't find any 2014+ 'R variants in the cabrio that are NOT 4WD. From my research, the car is made but I dont beleive there are any for sale.

So my question for those of you in the know is this:
  • Does anyone here have a type 'R in the convertable with RWD? if so what year is it? My local Jag dealer has been $hit for answering questions.
  • Am I correct in my understanding that the 'S is a 495HP while the 'R is 545? RWD versions only.
  • There are plenty of 'S that will fit the bill but I am affraid that the drop in HP and TQ will be noticable and disappointing?
  • Are there any options that I need to be aware of that the 'R does/does not have that the 'S does or vice-versa.
  • I feel the car sits high by 2-2.5". Any thoughts on lowering options??
  • Lastly - I would love and welcome any advice regarding ownership experience and maintenance issues from actual owners.
Thanks in advance for the help here fellas - super excited about finding the right car.

Deemo

Old 05-26-2019, 05:14 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

The only V8 RWD convertible in the US was the 2014 V8S. It had 495 hp officially from the same engine that is now in the R.

I don't think you can lower it that much. Mine is about 30mm lower than stock and that's really pushing it.

Last edited by Mark G; 05-26-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark G
The only V8 RWD convertible in the US was the 2014 V8S. It had 495 hp officially from the same engine that is now in the R.

I don't think you can lower it that much. Mine is about 30mm lower than stock and that's really pushing it.
The V8S RWD vert was also available in MY15. Nominally 50 fewer horses than an R, but folklore indicates it has the same output.

The following users liked this post:
Mark G (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 11:23 PM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a 2014 V8 s and the power and torque is insane. I love every minute of it when I drive it. Definitely not disappointed by the power at all, but I will eventually tune it to be above svr numbers when my warranty is up. Drive the convertible and drive the Coupe. There's nothing like hearing that exhaust with the top down, I guarantee it.

Deemo (05-28-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 563 Likes on 382 Posts

I picked the V6S 'vert over a Cayman/Boxster. For me, it was the beauty of the car that made the difference; the exhaust tones were a lucky plus. Porsche still has the edge as a pure driver's car, but the F-Type is a special experience. When my son moved up to a GT3, he offered me his 997 Turbo. I was happy to decline.

I personally like the balance of power in the V6S with RWD. You can even push the HP with a tune, if you like, but I'm happy with stock. If I were going with a V8, I'd personally recommend AWD (in case I sneezed).

If you haven't run across it, check out the original Top Gear review. It's a classic:

BTW, Clarkson later purchased a V6S.

Deemo (05-28-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 01:39 PM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Double post...

Last edited by Tel; 05-27-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:46 PM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Deemo
Hello from Seattle!

New to the forum and Jaguar. Longtime gear-head with Porsche and MB AMG experience.

I was in search of a topless sunday driver and wanting to buy a Boxter GTS when I happended on a 2014 F-Type 'R coupe RWD and have now fallen hopelessly in love! The exhaust note has me hooked and I am now in the hunt full bore!!

I need some help - I drove the above mentioned coupe and have since driven a cabrio in the V6SC to make sure I fit properly in the cab (6'2 & 220Lbs) . Clear to me that I want a V8 for sure but I can't find any 2014+ 'R variants in the cabrio that are NOT 4WD. From my research, the car is made but I dont beleive there are any for sale.

So my question for those of you in the know is this:
  • Does anyone here have a type 'R in the convertable with RWD? if so what year is it? My local Jag dealer has been $hit for answering questions.
  • Am I correct in my understanding that the 'S is a 495HP while the 'R is 545? RWD versions only.
  • There are plenty of 'S that will fit the bill but I am affraid that the drop in HP and TQ will be noticable and disappointing?
  • Are there any options that I need to be aware of that the 'R does/does not have that the 'S does or vice-versa.
  • I feel the car sits high by 2-2.5". Any thoughts on lowering options??
  • Lastly - I would love and welcome any advice regarding ownership experience and maintenance issues from actual owners.
Thanks in advance for the help here fellas - super excited about finding the right car.

Deemo
Have had the luck in having the V6S on long term loan, the V8S 2014 and currently the V8R...all RWD. The V6 was a coupé, the V8's are both convertible.

You are correct with your HP points.

A couple of other clinchers for me why the V8R is a 'better' car over the V8S:

It utilises just one battery, whereas the the V8S uses 2, thus a weight saving.

The R has Torque Vectoring by braking. Having tracked both, the TVbB is effective at negating understeer.

2015 R also uses electronic as opposed to the 2014 hydraulic setup for steering assistance.
No noticeable difference in wheel feel, perhaps the only difference I have noted, is a little modulation at low parking speeds on the electric system, but again more importantly, less weight and potentially less drag/load on the engine.

The trim level differences on the R vs the S are small, but things like all black internals on the headlamp internals (V6S/V8S has chrome), wider choice of trim options are niceties.

Remember though, this information is based on UK models, but I'm guessing that US versions are pretty much similar for the year.

If you do go for a RWD V8, whichever variant, you will enjoy. Don't listen to B.S about it being too tail happy to use all it's power...that's an excuse for lack of driver skill - hence the need for AWD versions...

A V8 doesn't need modding at all...well, that is until you get used to using all the torque ;-)

Look at what VAP has to offer with regard to tunes, shocks etc.
Just shy of 1'' seems to be what others have chosen as a compromise that keeps from bottoming out the car that still looks good.

Anyone that references Clarkson needs to remember that he is a car journalist forst and foremost, not a pro driver.
Listen to Chris Harris, someone that has weaker journalistic skills, but knows how to race and drive on the limit with skill.

...and whilst on the subject of Clarkson being an utter pratt, he blatantly copied the ''Unhinged'' quote from a real driver a year later! (Quote - 6:10 minutes in), and we all thought Clarkson was sooo cool!?

Last edited by Tel; 05-27-2019 at 01:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tel:
Chawumba (05-28-2019), Deemo (05-28-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 05:32 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
... and we all thought Clarkson was sooo cool!?
We did?

Old 05-27-2019, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

The V6S also has torque vector braking (TVB) if it has the big brake option (super performance brakes).

Old 05-28-2019, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tel
Have had the luck in having the V6S on long term loan, the V8S 2014 and currently the V8R...all RWD. The V6 was a coupé, the V8's are both convertible.

You are correct with your HP points.

A couple of other clinchers for me why the V8R is a 'better' car over the V8S:

It utilises just one battery, whereas the the V8S uses 2, thus a weight saving.

The R has Torque Vectoring by braking. Having tracked both, the TVbB is effective at negating understeer.

2015 R also uses electronic as opposed to the 2014 hydraulic setup for steering assistance.
No noticeable difference in wheel feel, perhaps the only difference I have noted, is a little modulation at low parking speeds on the electric system, but again more importantly, less weight and potentially less drag/load on the engine.

The trim level differences on the R vs the S are small, but things like all black internals on the headlamp internals (V6S/V8S has chrome), wider choice of trim options are niceties.

Remember though, this information is based on UK models, but I'm guessing that US versions are pretty much similar for the year.

If you do go for a RWD V8, whichever variant, you will enjoy. Don't listen to B.S about it being too tail happy to use all it's power...that's an excuse for lack of driver skill - hence the need for AWD versions...

A V8 doesn't need modding at all...well, that is until you get used to using all the torque ;-)

Look at what VAP has to offer with regard to tunes, shocks etc.
Just shy of 1'' seems to be what others have chosen as a compromise that keeps from bottoming out the car that still looks good.

Anyone that references Clarkson needs to remember that he is a car journalist forst and foremost, not a pro driver.
Listen to Chris Harris, someone that has weaker journalistic skills, but knows how to race and drive on the limit with skill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m46ds7UxxQI

...and whilst on the subject of Clarkson being an utter pratt, he blatantly copied the ''Unhinged'' quote from a real driver a year later! (Quote - 6:10 minutes in), and we all thought Clarkson was sooo cool!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRPLoO89vB8

Tel - valuable information brother and thank you for the insight. Update: At this point, I have only been able to test drive the 'R and a Convertible V8'S and the 'S was beaten to ***** (12k miles!!) and felt tired and sloppy so I really need to find a healthy 'S Vert in order to have a proper comparison.

After my research for the last 3 days, it does not seem that there were any 2013-2015 Convertible 'R cars imported to the US. That or I simply can't find a one anywhere on the web and being that I absolutely want the tail-happy RWD, it looks like a proper 'S might be my only option.

Again thanks for the input and YES on the Harris Vs Clarkson bit!! I also enjoyed the Harris vid where he does the Pepsi challenge with the Astin, 911 and F-Type

Old 05-28-2019, 02:41 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,064 Likes on 1,369 Posts

There was no convertible R in 13-14 - the V8S was the original V8, replaced by the R in ‘15.

Deemo (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
There was no convertible R in 13-14 - the V8S was the original V8, replaced by the R in ‘15.

Right? and all the Convertible 'R cars that I have found for sale in the US are AWD only.... looks like we are getting closer to solving the puzzle.

So this begs the next question, If I do get an AWD, will it still be tail happy and fun or is that all but gone?

Old 05-28-2019, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Right? and all the Convertible 'R cars that I have found for sale in the US are AWD only.... looks like we are getting closer to solving the puzzle.

So this begs the next question, If I do get an AWD, will it still be tail happy and fun or is that all but gone?
If you get an AWD R the tail is not going to step out much at all, if ever. When you mash the gas pedal it mashes you into the seat and jumps to hyperspace. It's still ridiculously fun.

If you get a V8S, you can easily have it tuned to match the power of the SVR. They are all the same motor.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Nati
If you get an AWD R the tail is not going to step out much at all, if ever. When you mash the gas pedal it mashes you into the seat and jumps to hyperspace. It's still ridiculously fun.

If you get a V8S, you can easily have it tuned to match the power of the SVR. They are all the same motor.

Nati - appreciate the feedback. the fact that its all the same motor makes more sense now and also makes the decision to find a nice 'S and go from there a bit easier.
I noticed you are stateside - I can't seem to find any tuners here locally. can you point me to the right direction? My googling is bringing up Canadian and British companies only

Old 05-28-2019, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

I am pretty sure if you turn off all the nannies in the AWD R you can get yourself in trouble.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Nati - appreciate the feedback. the fact that its all the same motor makes more sense now and also makes the decision to find a nice 'S and go from there a bit easier.
I noticed you are stateside - I can't seem to find any tuners here locally. can you point me to the right direction? My googling is bringing up Canadian and British companies only
VelocityAP has produced reliable safe results for numerous owners on this forum (this is who I plan to go with after the warranty is up - they can't give me many more horses but I want their exhaust and the overrun mapping)

Eurotoys Ltd has some options

There is a shop in Cincinnati (and four other locations in the US) called Eurocharged that has a package for the F Type as well

Deemo (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member

Check out Velocity Automotive Performance, Inc.
Most of us on this forum who have tuned have used the VAP tune.

Deemo (05-28-2019)