F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob here...need advice on F-Type R

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 12:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noob here...need advice on F-Type R

about a week ago I started my search and came across a 2016 F-Type R AWD and quickly found out it was sold But then discovered a 2015 F type or rear wheel drive for sale with red and black seats. In your opinion, which is better? I know you can come At this from so many angles depending on the type of driver you are and what you want. But I love raw power and great handling. My daily is an Infiniti Q50 Red Sport so about 400hp and RWD. Live in FL so no snow. As luck would have it the 2016 came back up for sale also certified preowned cars Thoughts or some guidance?

Old 12-29-2018, 01:06 PM
Banned
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a slightly juiced V8 RWD that dyno'd 602 est at the crank. It will mildly break the rear end loose in a straight line in upper third gear, sometimes it'll wag a little under pure thrust. I love it, and wouldn't trade RWD for AWD for anything. You can't be an idiot on the throttle with lateral G on the car or the tail WILL, predictably, slide out. As it should be. The RWD V8 F-Types will be the ones to have 20 years from now.

A CPO warranty will get you to 7 years/100K miles which is well worth the typical premium.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 12-29-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:16 PM
Banned

Also worth knowing is that a 2014 or 2015 V8S RWD will consistently dyno between 495 and 500 at the wheels, making them pretty similar to an R in hp. The engines are identical.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:37 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,382 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by Tpaxc
Thoughts or some guidance?
I believe the AWD is predominantly RWD anyway, just feeds in a bit of front as conditions dictate. I also think I read somewhere that it's even more RWD in Dymanic mode. I'm impressed at how planted my AWD is, much more so than my previous 5.0 XKR. I don't think you'd be disappointed whichever you go for. The V8 has plenty of raw power, and the exhaust crackles and pops are extremely addictive - ask anyone!

Old 12-29-2018, 01:38 PM
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

RWD is a million times better.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:57 PM

Great thank you. I was looking at the 2013 Viper but am more stoked after hearing that exhaust system. It sounds like my replica 65 cobra!

Old 12-29-2018, 02:20 PM
Banned

Both great cars.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by John Jones
Both great cars.
Thank you

Old 12-29-2018, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

It's unfortunate, but true, that you will get almost as many different answers as you get responses. The issue of AWD v RWD, MT vs AT, and other things boils down to individual preference. There are pros and cons to all of these alternatives, and your unique preferences will weight those pros and cons. Don't be afraid to go test drive the various option you are considering. That's the only way you can know for certain what direction to go in.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:03 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Buy the one with the lowest miles, best looking, or cheapest priced.
Otherwise, who cares what others think?

BTW, RWD is not a million times better than AWD. Basic math says it's only half as good, since 2 wheels is half of 4 wheel drive. But basic Physics says it's exactly the same since it's sharing the same engine HP....

Old 12-29-2018, 05:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NavyBlue
Buy the one with the lowest miles, best looking, or cheapest priced.
Otherwise, who cares what others think?

BTW, RWD is not a million times better than AWD. Basic math says it's only half as good, since 2 wheels is half of 4 wheel drive. But basic Physics says it's exactly the same since it's sharing the same engine HP....
But half is still 500,000x better.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:56 PM
Banned

RWD vehicles have less drivetrain loss, and are faster.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:03 PM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Thoughts from a current AWD R owner who has driven several RWD V8 F's...AWD has a wonderful balance of rear bias. RWD versions I drove were more "tingle up the spine" on the street based on ability to act like a Mopar in a tuxedo. My AWD is just finishing "break-in" so I haven't had any real spirited driving in it yet and it is winter here in the N.E. USA. I can't wait for Spring!

Very individual preferences you ask about. So you know where my experience and personal enjoyment come from:

AWD cars I've owned: Current, '18 F Type R Coupe. Past, '12 Audi V10 R8 Coupe, '16 BMW 650i Gran Coupe (twin turbo V8)
RWD cars I've owned: 3 Vipers ('04 vert, '08 vert, '09 ACR), 996 Porsche 911 GTS, 3 Vettes ('94 & 02 Coupes, 98 Vert), 2 Hellcat Challengers

I love the RWD, high horsepower experience.
The Vipers would wear you out after 90 minutes behind the wheel. I have not spent extended time behind the wheel of the last gen Viper, so they might be different. I loved me each of those bang up your spine, noisy, hot beasts!
Waiting to be flamed but...didn't enjoy the 911 GTS much and sold it after 6 months.
Vette's were fine, got them out of my system.
Hellcats were a hoot. Just a crazy, heavy, powerful American Muscle machine. I really enjoyed them and might have another at some point.

AWD, nothing was as much fun as my current ride, the F Type. The R8 got looks from everyone but was, dare I say, not crazy enough for me. The BMW 650 was a wonderful grand touring car...comfortable with a thrust of power always there. Sounded good too.
F Type...lots of comments to be searched on this forum..."great theatre" is a comment trademarked to this car! I love she!!!

If you liked your Cobra, you might like the RWD better. As others have suggested, best to drive both and see.

Last edited by Hayabusa; 12-29-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:30 PM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by John Jones
RWD vehicles have less drivetrain loss, and are faster.
Quicker, not faster. Unless you spin the wheels because they can't gain traction. Very usual with the RWD F-type.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I know most people think they are God's gift to driving, but what is your driving skill? High-powered RWD car is harder to handle than an AWD car, if your idea of going fast is to mash GO! pedal, then you need AWD. Outside of winter driving, where AWD is very helpful, I find such cars to boring to drive, but then, I exclusively drive on pavement.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

You must be talking about me! I had the 5.0 XKR, the tail was always out, I could never launch especially in the wet, I got spanked on a little track by a friend who was driving his WRX as I couldnt get any power down and was too scared to cut off the dts etc. With the V6 S F type I am able to control the car much better, I've had enormously better track times (driving Jag's cars, not mine), I am getting probably 60% out of the car instead of 40% and I can have a ball at street legal speeds. Even though I didnt like the AWD R to drive as much as the RWD R as I felt the weight in the front end on the track, if I was to buy one it would def's be the AWD.

The following users liked this post:
scm (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 03:25 AM

Wow this is all great feedback. I will drive both and by next Saturday I should be the owner of one of them.

I did have an 87 GN and that put close to 600hp at the wheels. Awesome to drive in a straight line lol. I would probably do this in a year or so but from what I’ve seen the easiest modification on these cars Is a pulley and a tune (and who sells the recommended parts for this) but has anyone put a methanol kit because with my Grand National it would actually save the motor from detonation and added a lot of power and relatively cheap to do

Old 12-30-2018, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Hayabusa
Thoughts from a current AWD R owner who has driven several RWD V8 F's...AWD has a wonderful balance of rear bias. RWD versions I drove were more "tingle up the spine" on the street based on ability to act like a Mopar in a tuxedo. My AWD is just finishing "break-in" so I haven't had any real spirited driving in it yet and it is winter here in the N.E. USA. I can't wait for Spring!

Very individual preferences you ask about. So you know where my experience and personal enjoyment come from:

AWD cars I've owned: Current, '18 F Type R Coupe. Past, '12 Audi V10 R8 Coupe, '16 BMW 650i Gran Coupe (twin turbo V8)
RWD cars I've owned: 3 Vipers ('04 vert, '08 vert, '09 ACR), 996 Porsche 911 GTS, 3 Vettes ('94 & 02 Coupes, 98 Vert), 2 Hellcat Challengers

I love the RWD, high horsepower experience.
The Vipers would wear you out after 90 minutes behind the wheel. I have not spent extended time behind the wheel of the last gen Viper, so they might be different. I loved me each of those bang up your spine, noisy, hot beasts!
Waiting to be flamed but...didn't enjoy the 911 GTS much and sold it after 6 months.
Vette's were fine, got them out of my system.
Hellcats were a hoot. Just a crazy, heavy, powerful American Muscle machine. I really enjoyed them and might have another at some point.

AWD, nothing was as much fun as my current ride, the F Type. The R8 got looks from everyone but was, dare I say, not crazy enough for me. The BMW 650 was a wonderful grand touring car...comfortable with a thrust of power always there. Sounded good too.
F Type...lots of comments to be searched on this forum..."great theatre" is a comment trademarked to this car! I love she!!!

If you liked your Cobra, you might like the RWD better. As others have suggested, best to drive both and see.

wow you have have had some extensive cars that I have dreamt of owning. Especially the hellcat and R8. Surprised the R8 was uneventful.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:33 PM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

It's rooted in growing up below the poverty level, focusing after almost going the wrong way, and finally seeing financial results after 40 years of age. Owning a car at all was a dream until I was out of college and paid off most of my student loan.

I've made up for it and feel fortunate I've had the opportunity to enjoy the cars listed and some cool trucks and motorcycles as well.

The R8 wasn't uneventful. It was beautiful and composed with really nice performance. I happen to like a bit of naughty. Just didn't have the "spice" to match the looks for me. When it comes to fun, I like a bit of sassy & sexy from my ride that will require some exertion on my part to tame it. The R8 was really sexy but a bit too mannered for me. Again, personal preference.

The F Type has a huge amount of character. It is really fun to drive, is a most beautiful design, and sounds like a maniac. Chris Harris said it best "...it has a bit of Mopar feel to it..." and "...it wants to have fun...there's a sense of joy about this car...". I can watch this video all day.

I've always enjoyed this commencement address when you think of impact and determination. His "few suggestions" are strong:

Last edited by Hayabusa; 12-30-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:45 PM

Thank you and agree. I’ve owned a few fun ones too but this will be my first Jaguar so very curious to see how that 550hp motor performs. The deal I’m getting on the rear wheel drive one is pretty significant compared to the all wheel drive so I’m going to check out the rear wheel drive one 1st plus I like a car that dances a bit.

Quick Reply: Noob here...need advice on F-Type R