Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NorCal F-Type event

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
I'm getting the Pantera back next Friday, and I want to drive it for a while to earn the confidence that it can be driven on a long trip without hiccups. It's no fun getting stuck in it. It has a cavernous trunk compartment over the transaxle in the rear and a small trunk in the front, so it is capable of traveling well even with the Mrs. If I see that it's running without any issues (like overheating), I'll bring it, and everyone can get a shot at driving it. It's really a glorified go cart capable of tremendous speed with torque unlike anything I've ever driven in any gear. Not advisable for wet roads.
I got super lazy, but did take about 5 minutes to collect a bunch of Pantera pics from our Tiburon Father's Day car show, from each year.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jweUsf2vGGWGmZLT7

They are at different Novato Cars & Coffee events, from time to time, but I am too busy and already realizing I will be working really late tonight because of my forum goofing off today. =) Hope you enjoy.

The following users liked this post:
tberg (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Thanks for the de Tomaso pictures. That is one beautiful Mangusta, maybe not as good a driving car as the Pantera, but what a body! And they're nowing bringing in upwards of $400,000 apiece on the market. May my Pantera get to half of that someday.

Uncle Fishbits (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the de Tomaso pictures. That is one beautiful Mangusta, maybe not as good a driving car as the Pantera, but what a body! And they're nowing bringing in upwards of $400,000 apiece on the market. May my Pantera get to half of that someday.
From a Jag forum to your Pantera... you deserve it and congrats. Honestly, all my classic car fan friends look at me as insane whenever I think about buying a classic of any sort. They're a pain in the ***, cost too much to maintain, and are awful rides in most every one of them. Anyone committed to the art form of maintaining the utilitarian and functional sculpture and engineering that is a classic car deserves to have 10x the return when they are ready to sell.

The only worrying thing, as I mentioned Keith Martin, is that a lot of experts think there will be a HUGE glut in the market eventually, as baby boomers age and sell their collections, because children don't care about cars the same way. There's already some notion that exciting and fun 4x4 and odd off road vehicles have more return than some of the standard classics, because of younger interest in early SUV and off roaders, while the market begins to fill with dying men's prized collections.

Being 42, I will happily find a way to pick up some gems! I just need to find brick and mortar space near me to store them, because I don't even have a garage for one car where I live, and would love to get at least 3 of my current stable indoors with all these damned fires dropping ash all day. At least brick and mortar retail is failing to allow me an opportunity to find cheap rent. The last two sentences are brought to you by HOLY CRAP THE WORLD MAY BE ENDING;

LOL All you can do is laugh to prevent the tears.

But there's something called the Candy Store in Burlingame near my office, and I sort of want to find a place in Marin to do the same for other collectors and fans.
The Candy Store

tberg (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member

I looked at the Candy Store's Website, and I'm a bit confused. Outside of telling you about parties, meetings, and accommodations at the facility, it doesn't really tell you what it is. I am assuming it is a place where members store their classic automobiles in a nice setting that doubles as a banquet house to raise money for expenses, but nowhere does it tell you this or how you apply for membership. Sure looks good, though. As for the value of classics and exotics in the future, I think you're right. The incoming younger generation has been thoroughly convinced that it's sinful to enjoy the automobile and therefore they don't. I have always been drawn to older classics because they just are so much more interesting and beautiful looking than their modern counterparts. I bought the Pantera because one of my closest friends had a series of Ferraris, first a Testarossa, then a 512BBi, and finally a 550 Maranello, and I was envious of their beauty, not of his ownership. I knew I wouldn't be able to afford a Ferrari or its upkeep, and I started looking around for exotics that I thought were alluring and more reasonable to maintain. The problem along the last dozen or so years of ownership is that I was almost never driving the Pantera because of well known issues that had never been fully addressed that prevented me from just hopping in and taking it for a fun, spirited drive. For instance, if it was over 80F or if there was heavy traffic or if I hadn't started the car for a couple of weeks, it always presented a problem. And in Los Angeles the traffic and the temperature are always in the danger zone. But the other more important reason I wasn't driving it, was because once I purchased my 5.0L XKR, I could have all the trappings of a car that was much quicker than my Pantera, much more comfortable, without having to worry about it overheating, breaking down, or even starting due to a disagreeable carburetor. So four years ago, it was either get rid of it or finally sort it out and upgrade it so that I could enjoy it. What started as a simple swap out of carb for fuel injection turned into a comprehensive "redo" complete with high performance engine swap, fuel injection, complete interior replacement with all leather, new seats, respray, upgraded cooling system, etc. all in an attempt to make me WANT to make the effort to drive her. Next week, I get to find out if it was worth it. Its upgraded engine includes over 500hp and over 550 ft. lbs. of torque in a svelte 3000lb. car These numbers are similar to my XKR's but over a thousand pounds less weight. It was "hairy" before, it should be positively frighteningly fun now. The real questionw will be 1) Will it start without problem? 2) Will it overheat at the slightest provocation? 3) Will it be more reliable? We already know it looks gorgeous and the interior has been improved immensely, but these three questions will dictate whether or not I actually get to enjoy it. We'll see....

Uncle Fishbits (08-10-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 03:19 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks for all the ideas & links Uncle! When I won that auction for a weekend in a F-Type in 2014 (did I ever tell that story?) I went up 1 from Marin to Mendocino (busy) then went inland along Comptche-Ukaih road. Barely anyone and about 1/2 of it had just been repaved. Heaven in a vert!
Mangusta ... bringing in upwards of $400,000 apiece on the market.

Wow, that is amazing...
Is the black Pantera in the pix a GTS?
Not that many FTs down in the south bay (surprising with all the Silly-Con valley money around) but I am beginning to see more.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member

Misujerr,
The black Pantera in the photo looks like a GTS with some front end mods. The paint scheme on the GTS had the hood and trunk lids painted black in contrast to the car's color, and had slightly flared (more than normal but not as flared as the GT5) fenders.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:46 PM

Thanks tberg. The local JCNA affiliate, Jaguar Associates Group (JAG) did a field trip to the Candy Store & got a tour, looks pretty schweet! There is a number to call under "contacts" if you are interested (but guessing it is a little far for you!) harold355@comcast.net 650-743-8834.
Sounds like your project had, not scope creep, but scope leaps & bounds
Wishing you well on the upgraded-ness of it!
(Sorry for thread-jacking once again...)

tberg (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 08:46 PM

OK, back on track, I just saw this on one of the crackbook pages:
Didn't map it out yet to see how close to the fires it is. Who knows what will be burning at that point
2018 ? Sequoia Road Tour | Road Adventures
Whadaya think?

Old 08-12-2018, 03:08 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm down!

Misujerr (08-13-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 528 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
NB: I can line up hotels for overnights in Willamette Valley, Napa Valley, Marin, Presidio of SF (that links to our new Lodge, but there's an inn as well). I helped build and open the OR, Marin, and Presidio props! Also in Carmel, more than likely. Used to work with Post Ranch, and wife used to work with Carmel Valley Ranch and Ventana, so those may be options. She is at Meadowood now, in St. Helena, so there's that too.

My thoughts on other options, if it's just day drives?
Skaggs that becomes Annapolis from Geyserville to the coast north of Sea Ranch is so fun (you mentioned).
But all those are... the one that spits you out on the coast tween Point Arena and Manchester is nice... Mountain View Road.
In fact... that would be a stellar circle. Start in or around SF, up to Cloverdale, through the Yorkville highlands (highest CA elevation winery named "bob's dogs" is there, and it could be a fun tasting!),
to the coast from boonville, back down south on the 1. That Jenner drive is creepy tho. Here I made a sample map! =) https://goo.gl/maps/BnuQx2sw4hu

I am not sure if people want to overnight, or have a day with that much driving?

A simpler one would be one of my favorites..... Lucas Valley Road, up and over and through the GGNRA into Olema, stop for lunch, tour Pt Reyes, and then head back south towards Stinson. We can do Conzuleman Dr at Hawk Hill too... that steep curve is so fun!

However, it would be cool to link up all of CA, meet in the middle.... we could do a drive from SF to Carmel. Stay there, and then do HWY 1, and head down to Hearst castle? Or do it in reverse?

I would leave work right now to meet you in Yosemite, if it wasn't for Ferguson. Bah. I can't believe how many trips were cancelled due to that fire. It impacted us in SF and Napa for summer tourers who were meant to have SF or Napa as a 2nd leg.

Honestly, a huge Nor/Central loop that includes a few days, and Tahoe south to Yosemite's East entrance would be so fun. It would be cool to lock this into an annual thing, whoever makes it, makes it! =)

Mendocino would be awesome.... the Avenue would be so fun.

Obviously I got excited. Sorry for too many options. I guess finding the time is what's important.

Some blogs on other drives (just found the links, didn't explore them):
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...ern-california
https://www.visitcalifornia.com/attr...nia-road-trips
https://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/10/...rn-california/
https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/nort...rives-nor-cal/
I just got back from a trip to Tahoe. This is great! I'll catch up on this thread and put up some more options. I like the idea of the big loop.

Misujerr (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

Fishbits, I looked around the hotels in your list and loved them, especially the Marin location, but close to a grand a night would be more than I'd want to budget. The Napa location in St. Helena is pretty epic and more affordable. How deep of a discount are we talking?

Old 08-13-2018, 12:35 PM
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

I just did the California Dream Drive hosted by the California Visitors Board. It went from Laguna Seca Raceway to MorroBay last Thursday 8/9, with stops at Vantana for lunch overlooking the ocean, a pit stop and wine tasting at Hearst Ranch Winery on the beach and a private party at the base of Morro Rock in Morro Bay for the end of a fantastic drive. check out some of the photos and videos at Visit California's dropbox. I am the only orange car so you should be ably to pick me out
Visit California Dropbox

Pulling onto the track at Laguna Seca at the start of the drive.

Finish Party at Morro Rock

Dream Drive Flier

Wayne B

Last edited by WayneB; 08-13-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:56 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

I am also interested in joining the Blueberry West, maybe it'll evolve to the Grape West. Couple "car" spots in the East Bay are the Blackhawk Museum in Danville, and the Cobra Museum in Martinez. We might get a track day at Sears Point in wine country. Thanks eeeek for getting this started!
Doc

Old 08-13-2018, 07:30 PM
Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by 16fnrbrg
Couple "car" spots in the East Bay are the Blackhawk Museum in Danville, and the Cobra Museum in Martinez. We might get a track day at Sears Point in wine country. Thanks eeeek for getting this started!
Doc
FWIW, I went to Blackhawk last year and it was very disappointing compared to my first visit the year after it opened. Only 1 of the 3 floors has cars now - other floors have art and history museum.

definitely up for track day

Old 08-13-2018, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member

Track days are a blast, but I think that would work for a separate event.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:35 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I like where these plans are going. I have a V8S vert near Fresno and would be happy to join. Not many good driving roads here much south of Yosemite but I'll keep checking back to see what you guys decide and add input where I can.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by eeeeek
Fishbits, I looked around the hotels in your list and loved them, especially the Marin location, but close to a grand a night would be more than I'd want to budget. The Napa location in St. Helena is pretty epic and more affordable. How deep of a discount are we talking?
Cavallo in Marin could come down significantly.
St. Helena was my first thought as best property.... Friday from Bay Area roll up there, dinner, Saturday head to the coast via st helena hwy, or petrified forest road, to Calistoga road to santa Rosa, or 128 to geyserville, then up past Cloverdale to boontown, towards the coast on mountainview... We could VRBO/Airbnb a couple homes and cook up a nice grill dinner in a kitchen, or find a coastal spot for dinner.

But depending on count of rooms, and especially time of year, the prices come down signficantly in Napa. November is usually stunning, and summer rates (and fall crush) drop off a cliff. I am sure we could $200 or so. If we could do it pre-spring break, same thing. Midweek almost any time of the year could be signficantly less and available.

As we get closer, I will start estimating. Also the other Napa property is strictly "affordable" by definition, great staff, but no luxury type place. Depending on proclivities, we could have two room blocks. They are equidistant (10-15min) from yountville for a lovely dinner.

Our current napa websites are being rebuilt, as they aren't the best (we inherited them). The Allison is the type of site we are moving to. Btw- The Allison is a 9.75 hour haul from SF, but I could do a bonkers rate there, also depending on season, weekend vs midweek, etc.

granted, I need to rebuild my car and have it delivered prior to this, so you might have to have some fun without me if they can't deliver in an expedient time frame.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

Do we want to get ambitious and try for something in November this year (which is a great time in NorCal) or play it safe and go 2019. I'm kind of a cavalier-fear-nothing kind of guy, so I might not speak for the majority, but November could work..

Old 08-14-2018, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
St. Helena was my first thought as best property.... Friday from Bay Area roll up there, dinner, Saturday head to the coast via st helena hwy, or petrified forest road, to Calistoga road to santa Rosa, or 128 to geyserville, then up past Cloverdale to boontown, towards the coast on mountainview...
[...]
Our current napa websites are being rebuilt, as they aren't the best (we inherited them). The Allison is the type of site we are moving to. Btw- The Allison is a 9.75 hour haul from SF, but I could do a bonkers rate there, also depending on season, weekend vs midweek, etc.
[...]
granted, I need to rebuild my car and have it delivered prior to this, so you might have to have some fun without me if they can't deliver in an expedient time frame.
I haven't been on 128 in a while, but it's a great road. From 101 to 1 you get a nice cross-section of California, from oak grassland to riparian redwood forest, to the rocks and coves of the coast.

I looked up The Allison. It looks pretty swanky.

I hope the replacement car comes soon. Good luck!

Old 08-14-2018, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
Do we want to get ambitious and try for something in November this year (which is a great time in NorCal) or play it safe and go 2019. I'm kind of a cavalier-fear-nothing kind of guy, so I might not speak for the majority, but November could work..
November in Yosemite and at altitude could be dicey on the summer tires.

Quick Reply: NorCal F-Type event