Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   OBDII Port issue (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/obdii-port-issue-219291/)

jode 06-18-2019 09:57 AM

OBDII Port issue

Does anyone know if there was ever a fix for the OBD2 port issues with the battery draining if anything was plugged in? I read the posts about disconnecting the battery to reset and that fixed my problem but I never plugged my GPS tracker in again for fear of the same issue.

Jo

DJS 06-18-2019 10:13 AM

Nope, no fix. Not all devices to it - check to see if your hazard indicator on the dash is still on 10-15 minutes after shutting the car off, to see if it'll be an issue.

jode 06-18-2019 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by DJS (Post 2086575)
Nope, no fix. Not all devices to it - check to see if your hazard indicator on the dash is still on 10-15 minutes after shutting the car off, to see if it'll be an issue.

Darn it, ok. I will just have to troubleshoot it. Ill wait until the husband is back in town so he can deal with the battery reset thing. Thank you for your reply

Tel 06-18-2019 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by jode (Post 2086572)
Does anyone know if there was ever a fix for the OBD2 port issues with the battery draining if anything was plugged in? I read the posts about disconnecting the battery to reset and that fixed my problem but I never plugged my GPS tracker in again for fear of the same issue.

Jo

There is work going on in the background to resolve this issue; I'm in contact with ScanTools (maker of many OBD diagnostic devices your side of the pond) and we are doing some work looking at the finer technical aspects of why this is happening.

Once I have run some more tests with Y-Leads and other adaptors, hopefully, fingers crossed we should be able to 'see' what is missing from so many devices that cause the F-Type to hang and subsequently drain the battery.

Mahjik 06-18-2019 05:32 PM

FWIW, many other cars have the same issue when plugging in things (like Bluetooth adapters) to the OBDII ports. There might be some alternatives out there, but that port isn't developed to be used for anything other than diagnostic purposes.

Unhingd 06-18-2019 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mahjik (Post 2086758)
FWIW, many other cars have the same issue when plugging in things (like Bluetooth adapters) to the OBDII ports. There might be some alternatives out there, but that port isn't developed to be used for anything other than diagnostic purposes.

The Maryland Emissions Test causes the fault as well.

jode 06-19-2019 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2086847)

Here as well. They accessed the OBD port for my state inspection then the car sat for the weekend resulting in a battery drain.

Dogbreath! 06-19-2019 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2086847)

Strangely, I have not had the same experience.

Itismejoshy 06-19-2019 08:19 AM

it depends on the device for sure, and i believe if the devise "closes" the connect rather then being yanked from the OBD port is the difference, could be wrong. i have been "closing" or exiting the software i am using and havn't had the issue is since.

Unhingd 06-19-2019 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dogbreath! (Post 2087063)
Strangely, I have not had the same experience.

My experience was at a self serve kiosk. If you had yours done by an inspector, their equipment might be different.

F-Toype 06-19-2019 10:01 AM

Has happened on mine from a state inspection (NH) done at a local indy, as well. It also just happened after a visit to the dealer.

Dogbreath! 06-19-2019 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2087123)
My experience was at a self serve kiosk. If you had yours done by an inspector, their equipment might be different.

Mine was with an inspector. To me it's worth the extra $4.00 to have somebody else do it - I'm lazy.

Lani Kai 06-19-2019 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dogbreath! (Post 2087249)
Mine was with an inspector. To me it's worth the extra $4.00 to have somebody else do it - I'm lazy.

Funny, if I had the choice I'd pay $4 to not have someone touch my car.
The NY test is done by an inspector and causes the battery drain to issue. I've never had it happen to any other make of car I've had, nor have I heard it happening to those around me.

Unhingd 06-19-2019 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dogbreath! (Post 2087249)

I like crawling around under the dash. ;)

O'Dell 06-22-2019 01:37 AM

It happened to me with a Georgia inspection, too. The dealer replaced the battery under warranty. My question is 'is this going to be an annual thing'?

Unhingd 06-22-2019 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by O'Dell (Post 2088476)
It happened to me with a Georgia inspection, too. The dealer replaced the battery under warranty. My question is 'is this going to be an annual thing'?

Hopefully, you'll remember what you need to do next time. ;)

jaguny 06-23-2019 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by jode (Post 2086925)
Here as well. They accessed the OBD port for my state inspection then the car sat for the weekend resulting in a battery drain.

Mine in New York as well, whatever the indie shop does for the inspection (which access the OBDII port).

Terrance39 06-23-2019 04:36 PM

Never had the issue, I keep my bluetooth reader plugged in at all times, you just have to disconnect your phone from it before leaving the car.

mbelanger 06-24-2019 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Itismejoshy (Post 2087086)
it depends on the device for sure, and i believe if the devise "closes" the connect rather then being yanked from the OBD port is the difference, could be wrong. i have been "closing" or exiting the software i am using and havn't had the issue is since.

I vaguely remember seeing similar comments, that the program has to have run to conclusion and THEN the device can be removed from the port without issue. Have never confirmed it independently though. But the only time I had the problem rear its ugly head was after the initial State inspection here in Texas...work done at the dealership never resulted in the problem arising.

O'Dell 06-24-2019 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2088521)
Hopefully, you'll remember what you need to do next time. ;)

And what might that be?