F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed CarPlay on my F-type

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 06:19 PM
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Installed CarPlay on my F-type

I took delivery of a 19.5MY F-type two weeks ago, and had CarPlay installed last week by my dealer. Apparently, they are now able to upgrade all F-types equipped with the InControl Touch Pro system. They did it for free and it actually fixed some bugs in the regular infotainment system while adding some functionality to it (in particular in queue management when listening to music).

The new CarPlay works with a voice command button integrated to the steering wheel:

The voice commands work very well, e.g. "Call xyz", "Play xyz song", "Play playlist xyz", "Launch xyz app", "Drive home" etc. It offers 15-20 apps, including Google Maps and Waze. This is what it looks like (note the Jaguar button on the top left, it brings you back to your regular infotainment system):

It is still a little bit buggy (cross my fingers)... but overall a great improvement. Looking for songs or phone numbers by flipping through lists with the right hand, while keeping an eye on the road and the left hand on the wheel, is not a strong point of the Incontrol Touch.

The following 5 users liked this post by Brock:
DJS (10-19-2018), Greggbhill (10-19-2018), KarimEls (10-20-2018), malbec (10-20-2018), PolkNole (10-21-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 09:15 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Thanks for the info.
Great to know.
Wonder how much will dealers charge to upgrade previous F years...

Old 10-21-2018, 06:03 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is that available to 'All' model years?

Old 10-21-2018, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirk Morey
Is that available to 'All' model years?
No. InControl Touch Pro system only came out with MY 19.5.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:41 AM
KVO
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyBlue
Thanks for the info.
Great to know.
Wonder how much will dealers charge to upgrade previous F years...
If only Carplay would become available for the previous F years...

Have Carplay in an other car, and like it much

The following users liked this post:
PolkNole (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

So the core question would seem to be -- can you upgrade to InControl Touch Pro from previous non Pro model years ? Cambo ?

The following 2 users liked this post by stmcknig:
PolkNole (10-21-2018), Supersprint Sport Exhausts (04-15-2024)
Old 10-22-2018, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by stmcknig
So the core question would seem to be -- can you upgrade to InControl Touch Pro from previous non Pro model years ? Cambo ?
You will most likely need a new steering wheel as well, since the voice commands require the press of a button on the wheel.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:24 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Gotta love my local dealer, says it not out yet, and won't be for another 6 months. I told him, a member on the forum had it installed at his local dealer, and he insist it must have come from the Factory like that. God I love dealers!

Old 10-23-2018, 06:30 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by KarimEls
Gotta love my local dealer, says it not out yet, and won't be for another 6 months. I told him, a member on the forum had it installed at his local dealer, and he insist it must have come from the Factory like that. God I love dealers!
Call Jaguar Darien in Connecticut, that is the dealer who installed CarPlay for me... he will confirm they are already doing it... of course, you would have to drive across the country, but i’ll buy you a celebration cigar and you can listen to music on CarPlay while checking for police on Waze on the way back to California.

KarimEls (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 10:03 AM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Steering wheel Switchpack

for what its worth....on my 2017 base, the left switchpack already has the voice momentary button. The only difference between the later model F-Pace switchpack and the F-Type is the F-Type uses a unmarked blank off button. Beneath the blank-off button is the actual switch, and it works (but of course not enabled in CCS). also, the difference is they leave out the LED and resistor in the voice Enable circuit on the PCB; If you did get just a F-Pace Button, it would work but not be illuminated.

If like me you are OCD and just gotta have illuminated Voice button - you can do what I did, and swap with a F-Pace part number switchpack (~$130 USD). Requires you to pull off airbag, pull off trim on wheel, and then swap switchpacks (maybe one hour job). You do not have to remove steering wheel or mess with clockspring.

Now I have fully illuminated working voice control feature (after I enables advanced voice in CCS).

HeinzXtype (12-26-2019)
Old 10-24-2018, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

I assume the other addition required would be a cabin microphone - in past cars, the wiring was usually there to the map light cluster and just needed a microphone physically installed. Anybody confirmed this for the Jag ?

Old 10-24-2018, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
I assume the other addition required would be a cabin microphone - in past cars, the wiring was usually there to the map light cluster and just needed a microphone physically installed. Anybody confirmed this for the Jag ?
Don’t all the F-types have an integrated mic for the hands free phone feature?

Old 10-24-2018, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Don’t all the F-types have an integrated mic for the hands free phone feature?
I was just seeing if you were more awake than I....you passed....

Old 10-24-2018, 05:08 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Apple Play

I agree, that it would be better to have Apple play. However I’m stuck with what I’ve got on 2017 F Type base convertible. So if I have a problem with navigation i use Waze on my phone.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member

Actually it seems lately Apple and Jaguar seem to have called a truce, the latest iOS 12 seems to play nicely with InControl stuff like Spotify again. <knock wood>. It would be nice if Waze was allowed entry to the InControl hallowed portals - it took long enough to get into CarPlay so I won't hold my breath. For now I'm happy that Spotify is back. Deezer would be nice but there you go again wishing on a star....

Old 10-24-2018, 09:57 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default European MY19 should be OK

MY19 in Europe (mine was delivered last April) has InControl Touch Pro and the 10 inch screen so I guess/hope this could play out fine.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts

@Fleer.
Nope.. it won't.. Unless you have a version with WiFi hotspot. Otherwise your SSD is too small and is completely reserved for InControl and Satnav..

I spelled it out here..

https://www.ftypeforums.co.uk/viewto...8ebd1ea675d160

Last edited by Dan_NL; 10-25-2018 at 03:59 PM. Reason: replaced link
Old 10-25-2018, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
@Fleer.
Nope.. it won't.. Unless you have a version with WiFi hotspot.
Now that’s interesting... because the Wi-Fi hotspot is something that you have to pay for separately here in the US. I already received an email from AT&T saying that a free trial had been installed on my car and would expire in 3 months. The dealer assured me this was not important... but apparently, based on what you wrote, letting it expire and not paying for future service will kill CarPlay! Hmmm... not good.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts

@Brock.

Nope. It only depends on the hardware. You have in-control-touch-pro and WiFi...

Read this for details :
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/23/.../?guccounter=2

Old 10-26-2018, 08:15 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Brock

Now that’s interesting... because the Wi-Fi hotspot is something that you have to pay for separately here in the US. I already received an email from AT&T saying that a free trial had been installed on my car and would expire in 3 months. The dealer assured me this was not important... but apparently, based on what you wrote, letting it expire and not paying for future service will kill CarPlay! Hmmm... not good.
AT&T recently cancelled my data plan after almost six months complimentary because I didn't subscribe. A quick call to AT&T (866 595-0010) confirmed that the vehicle came with a 3-month trial and they went over a couple plans I could sign up for to restore data use. The lowest price plan (data capped at 1GB) was $10 a month and the unlimited $20. I asked about being able to trade out the existing SIM card for one from my cellular provider and was told that wouldn't work. However, someone on this forum directed me to Freedompop as a source for a SIM that he acquired which works and involves no monthly fee, at least for a limited plan.
I haven't gone forward with my investigation because I really don't have a need the feature to begin with, but something sticks in my craw about having to subscribe to two cellular services.
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Installed CarPlay on my F-type