F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Jaguar F-Type Picture Post Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 02:50 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought my 2015 Firesand R Coupe this winter and had some work done to it; retrofitted black pack, changed back to the original suspension and changed wheels to the carbon blades. See below for after and before shots.

Before all work was done to it (and before the spring cleaning!)

The following users liked this post:
dmchao (04-11-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 02:52 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jlsthlm
I bought my 2015 Firesand R Coupe this winter and had some work done to it; retrofitted black pack, changed back to the original suspension and changed wheels to the carbon blades. See below for after and before shots.

Before all work was done to it (and before the spring cleaning!)
Much better blacked out

dmchao (04-11-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 03:12 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,063 Likes on 1,369 Posts

I think the blades look great with Firesand.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts

I like the blacked out better as the chrome too... .. I realised that after I finally took delivery of my new 2-Liter car in Ultra Blue with chrome trim. I did maybe a hundred configurations, but nothing beats the 'live viewing' of a paint of trim. The colour as such , Ultra Bleu is supposed to be metallic. But this is hardly noticable, unless the sun shines bright and to put your nose almost on the paint. The colours in the configurator are far off reality, also for the fire sand.

Waiting at the dealers, hidden as it would jump out among dark and grey cars.

Like an introduction on a global car show, these guys put on a show for us...

My wife pulled the cover off while I filmed the event. With indirect light the colour is dark and glowing almost. Thats how I like it to be.

Direct sunlight makes the colour flat, like its not metallic. I didn't take chrome covers for the mirrors as I suspected it to be too much. I now think the chrome bonnet vents are too much as well.
In retrospect I would have blacked everything out...

I already had after market bolsters fitted, manually inflatable. Once set, forget about them.
I asked the dealer to take three panels out of the centre console. Thes will be treated to look like wood.
In a few weeks I post the pictures..

Last edited by Dan_NL; 04-10-2018 at 07:18 PM. Reason: align text
Old 04-11-2018, 12:04 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Beautiful.

Front wheel looks setback a lot relative to the wheel well, is that intentional? Caster?

Old 04-11-2018, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by mshedden
Beautiful.

Front wheel looks setback a lot relative to the wheel well, is that intentional? Caster?
Hmm, not intentional. You're making me a bit worried - haven't owned it for very long so haven't been able to scrutinize everything in detail. Will take a closer look this evening to see if there's something wrong.

IF there's something wrong - what could that possibly be?

Old 04-11-2018, 01:41 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,063 Likes on 1,369 Posts

I'd guess either the steering wheel isn't straight, or you used a wide-ish angle lens which gives an odd perspective.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:48 PM

Hmm, not intentional. You're making me a bit worried - haven't owned it for very long so haven't been able to scrutinize everything in detail. Will take a closer look this evening to see if there's something wrong.

IF there's something wrong - what could that possibly be?
Well, assuming it not an artifact of camera / wheel angle in the pic:

Definitely looks different to those cars, I'd say, where the wheel is more centered. The white car (above) looks lowered, and its front wheel looks slightly forward of center.

Not trying to induce panic! I'm no expert, and I don't own an F-Type (yet...) but on my non f-type sportscar I have adjustable tension rods (came with non adjustable from the factory), which allow for CASTER adjustment, which can allow alignment to be put back in spec when using lowering springs. That particular adjustment does move the wheel back and forth in the wheel well. I don't know what caster adjustment is available on the F-Type specifically.

I guess first things first - is it the same on both sides?

What's been done to the suspension (if anything) wrt springs or shocks (you mention 'put back factory suspension' - what did it have before? It does look the same in the pic with the silver wheels tho as far as I can tell.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by mshedden
Definitely looks different to those cars, I'd say, where the wheel is more centered. The white car (above) looks lowered, and its front wheel looks slightly forward of center.

Not trying to induce panic! I'm no expert, and I don't own an F-Type (yet...) but on my non f-type sportscar I have adjustable tension rods (came with non adjustable from the factory), which allow for CASTER adjustment, which can allow alignment to be put back in spec when using lowering springs. That particular adjustment does move the wheel back and forth in the wheel well. I don't know what caster adjustment is available on the F-Type specifically.

I guess first things first - is it the same on both sides?

What's been done to the suspension (if anything) wrt springs or shocks (you mention 'put back factory suspension' - what did it have before? It does look the same in the pic with the silver wheels tho as far as I can tell.
I just went out and looked. It's unfortunately not the same on both sides.

Left front wheel

Right front wheel

The previous owned had lowered the car, but I got the original springs in the purchase. I changed back to the original ones at my dealer a couple of weeks ago at the same time as the black pack upgrade. To my knowledge, the only thing that had been done to the car was installing a new set of springs, no shocks. I agree with you though that it looks like it had the same misalignment before.

When I did all the upgrades to the car, Jaguar found that the car had been in an accident which wasn't previously reported. According to them, a minor accident that can be fully restored. As the dealer I bought it from (not a Jaguar dealer) had claimed that the car was undamaged, they are responsible for covering all costs related to restoring the vehicle to an "undamaged" state. I will hand in the car to a Jaguar-certified shop to do the restoration work on Monday - not sure whether this has anything to do with that repair, but I just hope that this doesn't mean that the damage is greater than they first anticipated and that I won't be able to get the car fully restored.

Sigh.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:22 PM

Ouch.

The right side looks fine.

Lets hope something minor got bent and can be fixed without major effort.

I would have thought somebody would have noticed it was off when doing the springs. Also, they probably should have done an alignment at that time, which you would think would have been off by a fair bit.

Sorry...

jlsthlm (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Could it be the front bumper that's wonky and not anything to do with the wheel?

Old 04-11-2018, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
Could it be the front bumper that's wonky and not anything to do with the wheel?
Unlikely.
I have played with the fit of my front bumper, moving it back / pushing it in a bit to close up the gap with the front of the hood/bonnet, and the maximum it moves is about 4 mm. Even if the OP could move his front bumper back the full 4 mm he would probably end up with a very tight fit across the front of the hood. Also, that left front wheel looks to me to be "out" (too far back) by a lot more than 4 mm.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Unlikely.
I have played with the fit of my front bumper, moving it back / pushing it in a bit to close up the gap with the front of the hood/bonnet, and the maximum it moves is about 4 mm. Even if the OP could move his front bumper back the full 4 mm he would probably end up with a very tight fit across the front of the hood. Also, that left front wheel looks to me to be "out" (too far back) by a lot more than 4 mm.
Look at those closeups again. The clearance between the tire and the back of the wheel well looks identical. The clearance between the tire and the front of the wheel well looks markedly different. It's almost as if the curvature of the bumper is off.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Unlikely.
To me it looks like the left side of the nose is bent upward which would cause that severe gap at the front of the front left wheel. Measure the distance from the left and right spoiler whiskers TO THE GROUND to see if there is a difference.

ADDENDUM: I just zoomed in on the original photo. It shows a sizable scuff mark on the front of the wheel well.

EDITED to make sense

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-12-2018 at 05:12 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
Look at those closeups again. The clearance between the tire and the back of the wheel well looks identical. The clearance between the tire and the front of the wheel well looks markedly different. It's almost as if the curvature of the bumper is off.
Yep, I agree (who was it that said "when the facts change I change my mind"?).
It looks like the left side of the bumper is sitting up too high, problem is the side gap between the bumper and the hood (from the rear of the light cluster) on that side already looks even and reasonably tight with almost no room to move for dropping the left side of the bumper a bit lower. I still reckon there must be some chassis / suspension / caster misalignment problem going on here.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:57 PM

Yep, I agree (who was it that said "when the facts change I change my mind"?).
It looks like the left side of the bumper is sitting up too high, problem is the side gap between the bumper and the hood (from the rear of the light cluster) on that side already looks even and reasonably tight with almost no room to move for dropping the left side of the bumper a bit lower. I still reckon there must be some chassis / suspension / caster misalignment problem going on here.
Thanks for the input guys. As I mentioned in my previous post, I will turn it in on Monday for measurement and correction. I guess I'll find out soon enough. I'll keep you updated if you're curious.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the input guys. As I mentioned in my previous post, I will turn it in on Monday for measurement and correction. I guess I'll find out soon enough. I'll keep you updated if you're curious.
Please do. Hopefully a body shop can put it right. Have the frame checked.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:50 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

felt like posting a before and after of my wheels and new MPSS....I know unhinged will say its time to be lowered....these pics may be in another side thread but most probably havent visited.

Last edited by watson6505; 04-13-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Tork Monster (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Looking good Watson!

Old 04-14-2018, 02:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi! This is my Jaguar P300! Only 2 weeks of life!

Attached Thumbnails Official Jaguar F-Type Picture Post Thread-foto-04-04-18-18-47-59.jpg   Official Jaguar F-Type Picture Post Thread-foto-07-04-18-16-46-29.jpg   Official Jaguar F-Type Picture Post Thread-foto-06-04-18-14-01-01-1-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Official Jaguar F-Type Picture Post Thread