Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Sticky Thread For Known Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by mawheele
OK - my car is booked in with the dealership for tomorrow morning. Dealer Service manager playing cagey with me, likely because JLR have told them "nightmare customer." LOL.

Apparently JLR are deploying new systems that are delaying responses from Tech Support - so could be Friday night before I can update you all.

Lets see where we get to. JLR will have run out of excuses after 5 attempts.

This must be costing them a fortune in time and lost customers already. Had they dealt with this properly...

Best of luck!!!...."oh Wildman customer" LOL! Let's all compare notes, mine is next Monday.

The following users liked this post:
mawheele (05-30-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

JLR Own Goal in 3-2-1...

Ryan, it's time to get help, as there is no way to "win" this in court.

The following 2 users liked this post by F-typical:
Foosh (05-26-2015), mawheele (05-30-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
JLR Own Goal in 3-2-1...

Ryan, it's time to get help, as there is no way to "win" this in court.
No there isn't, not for any manufacturer on any car forum.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:14 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Herewith my update.

Well, first I have to tell you that perhaps helpfully on my way to the dealership I had the engine amber warning telltale appear in the dashboard. Apparently this was found to be some faulty oxygen sensors. Perfect timing and saved Jaguar yet another booking. They go on all cars, so no biggie.

First news item for you: Apparently there is a Jaguar Service Advisory for the audio issues. This is not a formal TSB, more a lower level communication to dealers with service advice should customers report the issue. I found this surprising after all the claims from the CRC and Executive Office that they've not had enough customers reporting the issue. So, first up - there is some formal admittance by Jaguar of the problem.

I'm due to collect the car later today. Apparently they have taken both doors apart, taped the cables per the service advisory. They also found a bunch of other issues to fix in the dashboard apparently - more on them later.

I will report back further later today when I've been able to speak with the Master Tech at the dealership.

And whilst my car has not been prone to the flaking paint, I did persuade the dealership to apply the foam fix to the rocker panels before such a problem did occur.

Back soon.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:29 AM

OK, car is back. I've seen in detail the work they've done and apart from the fact they seem to have scratched the side window - I'm guessing with a cutting knife - the work they have done inside has made some progress.

Essentially, they have wrapped a foam tape around every piece of wiring in the door - which is a lot. Speaker, windows, door accident sensors and the door handle itself.

Apparently, the Master Tech had also done similar to another F-Type reporting the same issues. This time though everything has been photographed and sent to Jaguar.

It is clear that Jaguar is continuing to experiment and the service advisory does not go that far.

Not really spent enough time yet to feel totally comfortable its fixed. More ANGRY that that they scratched the window, which adds to the screw driver scratch left on the plastic door entry trim left by the last dealer. I must admit to being a little surprised to find it as the guy who worked on the car seemed really good. Don't fancy sending it back for a new window and having it all taken apart for a 6th time, so will continue my war with JLR.

The centre vent was also replaced while they were there and new software has also been applied that controls its lift.

What would you do about the glass? The scratch is fine but very visible and is 3-4cm long in the upper left edge. Definitely been done by a scalpel or similar. Its on the inside of the glass.

Last edited by mawheele; 05-30-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:20 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, car is back. I've seen in detail the work they've done and apart from the fact they seem to have scratched the side window - I'm guessing with a cutting knife - the work they have done inside has made some progress.

Essentially, they have wrapped a foam tape around every piece of wiring in the door - which is a lot. Speaker, windows, door accident sensors and the door handle itself.

Apparently, the Master Tech had also done similar to another F-Type reporting the same issues. This time though everything has been photographed and sent to Jaguar.

It is clear that Jaguar is continuing to experiment and the service advisory does not go that far.
Good to see that you are making progress. I would be interested to hear about your listening experience after you have had a chance to test out the fix.

If your problem is anywhere similar to that which I am experiencing, I doubt that taping of the wiring will be sufficient to eliminate the problem entirely. My door panels and the panel behind the seats resonates pretty loudly at 75hz. The resonant tone can be changed by simply placing one's hand on the panel, which indicates that he panel itself needs to be dampened. At 50hz the center cubby hole assembly rattles and buzzes and the locking mechanism rattles quite loudly - its proximity to your ear makes it quite annoying.

My dealer's service manager responded very quickly after I had provided an "unsatisfactory" response on the customer satisfaction survey that I completed after my last service which did not fix the problem. She sounded truly alarmed when I described the problem and indicated that it was widespread across NA and the UK and that Jaguar did not appear to have taken responsibility for remedying the defect. She has indicated that if Jaguar does not have a fix and if they cannot fix it in house then they will send the car out to an audio shop to have the problem fixed - she said that they will do "whatever is necessary" to ensure customer satisfaction. We shall see.

I have an appointment on June 10 at which time I am meeting with the Service Manager, Service Rep, Shop Manager and the Service Tech. to demonstrate the problem using a playlist of music tracks and test tones that cause the most severe buzzing. I will keep you posted.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:27 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Not really spent enough time yet to feel totally comfortable its fixed. More ANGRY that that they scratched the window, which adds to the screw driver scratch left on the plastic door entry trim left by the last dealer. I must admit to being a little surprised to find it as the guy who worked on the car seemed really good. Don't fancy sending it back for a new window and having it all taken apart for a 6th time, so will continue my war with JLR.

The centre vent was also replaced while they were there and new software has also been applied that controls its lift.

What would you do about the glass? The scratch is fine but very visible and is 3-4cm long in the upper left edge. Definitely been done by a scalpel or similar. Its on the inside of the glass.

Maybe they can polish that out??

Old 05-31-2015, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stengli
Good to see that you are making progress. I would be interested to hear about your listening experience after you have had a chance to test out the fix.

If your problem is anywhere similar to that which I am experiencing, I doubt that taping of the wiring will be sufficient to eliminate the problem entirely. My door panels and the panel behind the seats resonates pretty loudly at 75hz. The resonant tone can be changed by simply placing one's hand on the panel, which indicates that he panel itself needs to be dampened. At 50hz the center cubby hole assembly rattles and buzzes and the locking mechanism rattles quite loudly - its proximity to your ear makes it quite annoying.

My dealer's service manager responded very quickly after I had provided an "unsatisfactory" response on the customer satisfaction survey that I completed after my last service which did not fix the problem. She sounded truly alarmed when I described the problem and indicated that it was widespread across NA and the UK and that Jaguar did not appear to have taken responsibility for remedying the defect. She has indicated that if Jaguar does not have a fix and if they cannot fix it in house then they will send the car out to an audio shop to have the problem fixed - she said that they will do "whatever is necessary" to ensure customer satisfaction. We shall see.

I have an appointment on June 10 at which time I am meeting with the Service Manager, Service Rep, Shop Manager and the Service Tech. to demonstrate the problem using a playlist of music tracks and test tones that cause the most severe buzzing. I will keep you posted.
Hi, glad they are taking this very serious. Let's all share the results of the fixes that are going on, for a positive outcome hopefully. I also have the meeting coming up with the NA engineer at my dealership. JLR itself is bending over backwards to help me out now, and I too have my playlist of variant sounds that the car plays upon listening, which includes the best sound, the rear speakers, which hardly play anything. Let's continue to share, maybe a new thread titled "attempted meridian fix"? Let me know what you think. It will help everybody involved, including JLR as a part of the community.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:24 AM
Veteran Member

At this point, I would have them replace it....doubt they would damage anything else, and also BTW I would go back to the other dealer on the other damage that they did, or show it to this dealer and see what they say. You have a low probability of something else happening. Sorry to hear about all of this.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by slojotaa
Sorry, what was the specific of the recall? Thanks
A "Battery discharge issue". Apparently. They also did something to the passenger door to deal with an intermittent buzz that I reported on arrival.

Very clean car on collection.

XF estate Courtesy car pleasant.

The following users liked this post:
slojotaa (06-02-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts
Default No way to access trunk when battery is dead

See https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/mechanical-manual-trunk-release-130168/ for more details.

I'm posting this here because it's a potential safety issue. If you have jumper cables for the car, do not place them in the trunk as you won't be able to access them if the battery is dead. Instead, place them somewhere in the cabin (I put mine now in the driver side space behind the seat).

p.s. this thread could use a little cleanup as I noticed a lot of conversational posts which is not the intent of the thread (see the OP) and reduces usability. It's better to summarize the issue here, and link to a separate thread for conversations/follow up.

Will see if I can flag it for a tidy up.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
p.s. this thread could use a little cleanup as I noticed a lot of conversational posts which is not the intent of the thread (see the OP) and reduces usability. It's better to summarize the issue here, and link to a separate thread for conversations/follow up.

Will see if I can flag it for a tidy up.
Has no one explained to you the futility of cat herding?

Old 06-12-2015, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member

JLR Technical Centre response time to dealer enquiry: 9 days - so far.

Odd for something the dealership say they've seen before.

To be updated.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:06 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slojotaa
Hi, glad they are taking this very serious. Let's all share the results of the fixes that are going on, for a positive outcome hopefully. I also have the meeting coming up with the NA engineer at my dealership. JLR itself is bending over backwards to help me out now, and I too have my playlist of variant sounds that the car plays upon listening, which includes the best sound, the rear speakers, which hardly play anything. Let's continue to share, maybe a new thread titled "attempted meridian fix"? Let me know what you think. It will help everybody involved, including JLR as a part of the community.
Took my F-Type to the dealership on Wednesday for the shop foreman and service tech to hear my playlist and sample tones that create the most buzzing and vibration. playing a 75hz tone at moderate volume causes the entire interior to resonate. They both agreed that it was "terrible" and reiterated the service manager's promise to do whatever was necessary to fix the problem.

Service had only booked me a loaner vehicle for one day, manager wanted the car for a week, so it is going back in this Monday at which time I will have a loaner for the week. I will keep you posted on how this turns out.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Stengli
Took my F-Type to the dealership on Wednesday for the shop foreman and service tech to hear my playlist and sample tones that create the most buzzing and vibration. playing a 75hz tone at moderate volume causes the entire interior to resonate. They both agreed that it was "terrible" and reiterated the service manager's promise to do whatever was necessary to fix the problem.

Service had only booked me a loaner vehicle for one day, manager wanted the car for a week, so it is going back in this Monday at which time I will have a loaner for the week. I will keep you posted on how this turns out.
Its really good to see that finally in North America JLR are sending out their own troops to start taking customers seriously.

I have been asking JLR in the UK to do the same since February 2014 and they've point blank refused. Had they been bothered at any time in the subsequent months my own relationship would likely be extremely different.

I can get my car to vibrate at will from 140-190Hz.

I'm guessing the US is under separate customer service management and policies as here in the UK they've done everything possible not to have a factory rep involved.

I'm glad to hear these more positive stories.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
Swajames posted a note on this some time back. The F-Type tank outlet hasn't been designed to work very well with overflow sensors common in US gas stations.
His suggestion, which worked for me, was to make sure the gas nozzle properly covers the entire outlet hole.
I'm in the US and have the same problem. You just can't start the pump and leave it to fill like you could with other cars. It will stop every few seconds.

I find that if you lift the handle and tilt the nozzle down at an angle it will go all the way, but you still have to hold the nozzle the entire time you're pumping gas.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:25 AM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Danny
I'm in the US and have the same problem. You just can't start the pump and leave it to fill like you could with other cars. It will stop every few seconds.

I find that if you lift the handle and tilt the nozzle down at an angle it will go all the way, but you still have to hold the nozzle the entire time you're pumping gas.
This has been the most frustrating issue I have had with my car. In California, I have had the easiest time pumping gas at Chevron stations. I used to go to Costco but their pumps run so fast that I cannot get any gas in the car without looking like an idiot. All the Chevron stations I have visited seemed to have slower flow nozzles that let me fill up without any issue. Just a suggestion and may not work for you in your area.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:07 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Danny

Hmmm.... I wonder if they fixed this in the 2016's as I haven't had this issue when filling up with mine. I am in California as well.

Last edited by Merlin; 06-16-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

The fueling issue is not a "U.S. problem" generally speaking. 99% of posters mentioning it are CA residents. I believe the California Air Resources Board (CARB) has imposed stricter standards for vapor capture than any other state, which for whatever reasons, doesn't interact well with the F-Type filler pipe geometry.

I remember perhaps 1-2 accounts outside of CA borders. On my car, I can hold the pump trigger fully-depressed and not once have I had it shut off before it was full at dozens of different gas retailers in DC, MD, VA, WV, DE, NJ, NC, and SC.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 293 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
The fueling issue is not a "U.S. problem" generally speaking. 99% of posters mentioning it are CA residents. I believe the California Air Resources Board (CARB) has imposed stricter standards for vapor capture than any other state, which for whatever reasons, doesn't interact well with the F-Type filler pipe geometry.

I remember perhaps 1-2 accounts outside of CA borders. On my car, I can hold the pump trigger fully-depressed and not once have I had it shut off before it was full at dozens of different gas retailers in DC, MD, VA, WV, DE, NJ, NC, and SC.
No problems at all in TX. (Except for the previously noted issue that you simply CANNOT top off this tank. Once it clicks you can only round off to the next 25 cents or you'll find gas on your shoes...)

Quick Reply: Official Sticky Thread For Known Issues