F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paddles not upshifting at full throttle 2014 V8S - Please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 07:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paddles not upshifting at full throttle 2014 V8S - Please help

Would anyone be willing to sacrifice some rubber and tell me if this happens to you as well? To see the problem, drive at about 40 mph in 2nd gear in dynamic / sport / manual paddle shift, FLOOR IT COMPLETELY and try to up-shift to 3rd. If you try it at 20 mph the car will automatically downshift to 1st.

In my car, the gear indicator in the center dash says "3" but no shift happens and 1/2 second later the car hits the rev limiter and the indicator flashes back to "2". Shifts normally at 95% throttle. My dealer says this is normal but I can't believe that and it's driving me crazy. The sales person from the dealer drove my car and was able to reproduce the problem so it's not just me. Thank you for your help !!!

Old 05-07-2016, 07:01 PM
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

So to get this straight: @40, in 2nd manual, D and S mode, floor it completely, and up shift immediately to 3rd?

The following users liked this post:
HoneyBadger (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

It's doing this on purpose. The car thinks you're trying to avoid a collision and giving you max acceleration.

HoneyBadger (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

If the F-Types are like the old X150 XKRs, there should be a noticeable "detent" in the pedal travel. As long as you don't hit the detent, the transmission won't kick down.

My XKR doesn't have a dynamic sport mode, but I thought if in the F-Types if you are in one of those modes it won't shift unless you tell it to, up or down.

HoneyBadger (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Sound normal to me.
On my XFR, when I use Dynamic + S + paddles, it will still downshift/kickdown automatically when I floor it from a higher gear than optimal for best performance, but it won't upshift unless I tell it to by using the right paddle, otherwise it will hit the rev limiter and stay there.
So in your case I guess what it is doing is declining your paddle upshift because you are trying an upshift too early for optimal performance. It's effectively kicking back down to the lower gear without using kickdown as such.

HoneyBadger (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 08:38 PM

Thank you. S@40, in 2nd manual, D and S mode, floor it completely, and up shift immediately to 3rd...

Yes, exactly. Dynamic everything (engine, transmission...), S mode shifting (shift lever kicked to the left) will not accept upshift under full throttle.

I don't believe it could be a safety issue to give me max accel because the car hits the rev limiter and abruptly stops accelerating which is more unsafe in my opinion.

Last edited by HoneyBadger; 05-07-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
If the F-Types are like the old X150 XKRs, there should be a noticeable "detent" in the pedal travel. As long as you don't hit the detent, the transmission won't kick down.

My XKR doesn't have a dynamic sport mode, but I thought if in the F-Types if you are in one of those modes it won't shift unless you tell it to, up or down.
In dynamic, sport manual paddle shifting the f-type will still down shift on it's own if you push the pedal past the "detent" and RPM's are low enough to allow a down-shift. The transmission will not upshift automatically however and will bounce of the rev-limiter.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Sound normal to me.
On my XFR, when I use Dynamic + S + paddles, it will still downshift/kickdown automatically when I floor it from a higher gear than optimal for best performance, but it won't upshift unless I tell it to by using the right paddle, otherwise it will hit the rev limiter and stay there.
So in your case I guess what it is doing is declining your paddle upshift because you are trying an upshift too early for optimal performance. It's effectively kicking back down to the lower gear without using kickdown as such.
Thank you. Yes, the F-type does kickdown automatically if the RPMs are low enough and it is declining my upshift. However, it doesn't happen at just 4k RPM, At WOT it declines the upshift at any RPM 4k, 5k etc as 5.5k all the way up to redline.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

So when you say you're at WOT, are you saying you're mashing the pedal to the floor, past the detent?

HoneyBadger (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

On most cars, the kickdown switch will override the other controls. Pushing past the detent will give you no additional fuel delivery. If you want to upshift during WOT, don't push the throttle past the indent. The car cannot read your mind. It will prioritize conflicting demands.

HoneyBadger (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
So when you say you're at WOT, are you saying you're mashing the pedal to the floor, past the detent?
Yes. It shifts fine at anywhere less than 100% throttle including below the detent.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
On most cars, the kickdown switch will override the other controls. Pushing past the detent will give you no additional fuel delivery. If you want to upshift during WOT, don't push the throttle past the indent. The car cannot read your mind. It will prioritize conflicting demands.
Very interesting and thank you all for your patience. This is the only car I've daily driven that is an automatic so I'm really not all that familiar with them. Are you saying the detent is actually a switch telling the car to downshift? This would totally explain what's happening. This is what Wikipedia has to say...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_control_unit

It says this about a kickdown switch

"One of the most common inputs into a TCU (Transmission Control Unit) is the kick down switch which is used to determine if the accelerator pedal has been depressed past full throttle.[3] When activated the transmission downshifts into the lowest permissible gear based on current road speed to use the full power reserves of the engine. This is still present in most transmissions though is no longer as necessary to use as the TCU uses the throttle position sensor and rapid rate of change to determine whether a downshift may be necessary, thus there is no need to use the kickdown feature in most circumstances."

I would think this transmission would be programmed to bypass the kickdown switch if the lower gear would result in RPM's > redline at the current speed and allow for the upshift. Seems like a programming mistake to me but I know nothing about transmissions.

The F-type does have a kick down switch. It's mentioned in the Jaguar Quick Start Guide here: http://www.jaguarusa.com/Images/Quic...m97-145720.pdf because it allows you to override the ASL (Auto Speed Limiter) controller.

There only other mention of the kick down switch (detent switch) in the owners manual is how it is used to activate dynamic launch (V6S only).

So is full throttle achieved at the kick down switch or do you get additional throttle by pushing the gas pedal completely down to the floor past the kick down switch?

Last edited by HoneyBadger; 05-08-2016 at 12:50 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by HoneyBadger
Are you saying the detent is actually a switch telling the car to downshift?
Exactly!

HoneyBadger (05-08-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

...try doing the same thing with the traction control disabled (somewhere safe, obviously). I was having a similar issue and I thought it was because I was hitting the rev limiter, but now I think it was just the traction control cutting power and it refused to shift via the paddles at the same time. With the traction control in Trac DSC, it doesn't seem to have a problem.

Dave

HoneyBadger (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by DPelletier
...try doing the same thing with the traction control disabled (somewhere safe, obviously). I was having a similar issue and I thought it was because I was hitting the rev limiter, but now I think it was just the traction control cutting power and it refused to shift via the paddles at the same time. With the traction control in Trac DSC, it doesn't seem to have a problem.

Dave
Great thought, thank you. I'll try it out and report back.

Dan

Old 11-12-2016, 09:13 PM
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by HoneyBadger
Great thought, thank you. I'll try it out and report back.

Dan
I'm having this issue. I am used to pulling the paddles 50rpm early in the C63 but it's not accepting shifts here. At WOT ( w kick down) this car will not upshift into 3rd, despite me pulling the upshift paddle. It's infuriating

Old 11-12-2016, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mueller

I'm having this issue. I am used to pulling the paddles 50rpm early in the C63 but it's not accepting shifts here. At WOT ( w kick down) this car will not upshift into 3rd, despite me pulling the upshift paddle. It's infuriating
That should say 500 not "50".

Old 11-13-2016, 08:35 AM

My neighbor just acquired a C63, beautiful car.

The detent switch "drives" me crazy as well. It's really hard to feel the detent in the gas pedal at full throttle on bumpy roads or high lateral G's. I think it probably has to be that way to override ASL function and cruise control but they could have programmed around it. For example my old BMW would not allow cruise control when you turned traction / stability control off. They could have programmed the detent switch to be inactive when in dynamic / sport shift mode.

I've gotten used to it now that I understand it better. I've done a Eurotune and there is so much more torque and a significantly faster throttle response that it feels like I'm at 100% WOT when the pedal is only 50% down. One effect is that I rarely am close to the detent switch. I've also learned to be less "ham footed" with my right foot.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:45 AM

Is there a technique to pulling the paddles at WOT to prevent the car banging off the rev limiter? I was on it yesterday and slammed into the rev limiter in second gear and pulled the paddle at least twice and it still wouldn't shift up. Someone has to have found a fix for this. I can't believe that the engineers would have essentially disabled the paddles when the kick down switch is engaged. The trans should at least shift up on its own, but that doesn't happen when in manual mode.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:10 AM

Is there a technique to pulling the paddles at WOT to prevent the car banging off the rev limiter? I was on it yesterday and slammed into the rev limiter in second gear and pulled the paddle at least twice and it still wouldn't shift up. Someone has to have found a fix for this. I can't believe that the engineers would have essentially disabled the paddles when the kick down switch is engaged. The trans should at least shift up on its own, but that doesn't happen when in manual mode.
No fix that i'm aware of. What I didn't understand is that WOT is before the detent in the pedal and pushing the gas past the detent doesn't get you more throttle. So I just have trained myself to be more aware of when I hit the detent in the pedal.

Quick Reply: Paddles not upshifting at full throttle 2014 V8S - Please help