F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty expires in 15 days...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 07:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Warranty expires in 15 days...

hello- warranty expiring in 15 days on my 14 v8s with 17k miles or so...any suggestions as to what to tell service advisor to do for me? Or how about extended warranty purchase? I know it’s a bit expensive for what it covers and I do plan on keeping her for awhile. So far my cat has been terrific and well behaved with only one 02 sensor replacement and a speaker replacement. Thx in advance for your input!

Old 10-15-2017, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Suggestions:

1. Ask them to inspect water pump for small leaks
2. Ask them to inspect rear differential for play
3. Ask them to cut engine oil filter and look for metal

Extended "warranty" is mostly a miss, the key reason is that it is insurance product designed to make money. They make money two ways - providing inadequate coverage by introducing 'gotcha' clauses in fine print or charging more than average expected maintenance. The only time I'd buy extended warranty if you have lingering unresolved issues and plan to hold on to a car for a while.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

I agree with SinF on skipping any & ALL extended warranty plans. There is a REASON that insurance companies sell them and that is because, like you, 98% of owners never use them and even those that do only use them for a fraction of what they paid for them.

The following users liked this post:
Dremorg (10-25-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 01:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thx for the replies! This is what I got back from dealer...what do you guys think about the response? Make sense? Agree or not?

”For the water pump, you could check the level on the coolant tank under the hood and if it seem below the normal line indicator, lets bring it in. for the differential, I have been here a year and a half and only seen 1 go bad. You will hear a noise from the rear. For number 3, the same thing, have only seen 1 bad engine. Your car seemed solid during the last visit and It would be a little over kill to cut the oil filter, but we would do whatever your prefer.”

Old 10-16-2017, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

It is unlikely that you will have any issues, but these are all big ticket items if there is an issue. I suggest negotiating 1-2 hours of labor to inspect all of these.

You could check coolant tank, but that is assuming they weren't topping it off during service.

You normally do hear clunk from differential, but only if you pay attention.

Bad AJ engines are very rare, but if you want to be sure the best way is to cut filter and/or send oil for analysis.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
It is unlikely that you will have any issues, but these are all big ticket items if there is an issue. I suggest negotiating 1-2 hours of labor to inspect all of these.

You could check coolant tank, but that is assuming they weren't topping it off during service.

You normally do hear clunk from differential, but only if you pay attention.

Bad AJ engines are very rare, but if you want to be sure the best way is to cut filter and/or send oil for analysis.
The problem with the oil analysis is there is not sufficient time left on his warranty to get the results back in time.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:28 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I took mine in for the its last oil change this morning before the warranty runs out and mentioned I smelled anti-freeze from the time to time. They're currently in the process of swapping out the water pump.

Trending Topics

Old 10-18-2017, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The problem with the oil analysis is there is not sufficient time left on his warranty to get the results back in time.
If you have dealer send oil out, then arguably it is from the time it was collected (while warranty is in effect) and not from the time report became available (out of warranty).

Cutting filter isn't as reliable, as you can't always see the issue until it becomes catastrophic.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by tdienes
hello- warranty expiring in 15 days on my 14 v8s with 17k miles or so...any suggestions as to what to tell service advisor to do for me? Or how about extended warranty purchase? I know it’s a bit expensive for what it covers and I do plan on keeping her for awhile. So far my cat has been terrific and well behaved with only one 02 sensor replacement and a speaker replacement. Thx in advance for your input!
Well, if you’re nervous: Sell?

Old 10-18-2017, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

If you have dealer send oil out, then arguably it is from the time it was collected (while warranty is in effect) and not from the time report became available (out of warranty)..
Good point!

Cutting filter isn't as reliable, as you can't always see the issue until it becomes catastrophic.
+1.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:50 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Law of large numbers indeed, reversion to the mean. However, I bought a 3995$ 5 year extended warranty on my 2014-V8S and I am already in the money. Both front lights had humidity in them and clear visible lines that looked like oil. Getting them replaced for 6K + hours. I honestly believe that buying an extended warranty is a good option. This gives me full coverage until 2023. I rented an F-type twice from Turo when I was travelling to California and both times something broke while I had the car. First time, the door handle stopped working, had to climb in through passenger door. Second time the roof would not go down anymore. Both of those jobs combined cost 9K as he had to replace the entire roof mechanism. Under warranty you are covered.

For a high end-sports car, I believe it is worth the premium. 3995$ for 5yrs/100,000 KM.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:19 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Just curious as to which company did you purchase the warranty?

Old 11-12-2017, 09:51 PM

I got mine through the dealership which is ultimately Industrial Alliance in Quebec.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

I tend to agree on extended but something made me buy it for thr F Type. I bought 2 year Red Shield from Jag dealer, only sold thru dealers. If I sell early it is transferable and refundable less $200. I have low mileage and no problems so I can't rationally explain it. Just a feeling!Red Shield has no gothchas and is meant to help dealers keep fixing out of warranty cars. Not the cheapest tho. Everything attached is covered as new!My early '14 V6S has 14400 miles!

Old 11-13-2017, 07:26 AM

Mine is fully refundable if I do not use it. Transferable as well in case I sell, which I do not plan on doing. Either way, I figured paying a 5% premium on the total purhcase price of the car for a warranty that lasts until 2023 and covers 100,000KM so 150,000KM total given the mileage I have now is well worth it. Dealer is changing my lights for 6k this Friday as humidity crept in and left some stains. Then it is off to winter storage as we already have sub zero temperatures in Quebec. Will bring it back out in April.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:28 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info, and that's a lot of $$ for some lights, more reason to extend when time comes.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:55 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Im sorry Vali but theres no way our lights cost 6k, dollars or pounds.
I think your jag dealer is spinning you a line to make you feel good, im not saying it wont be costly but no where near that figure.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Mods please delete

Last edited by ndabunka; 11-13-2017 at 08:43 PM.