Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Poor Salesmanship (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/poor-salesmanship-149413/)

perfectson 09-07-2015 07:17 AM

Poor Salesmanship at Jaguar ....but a ray of hope

Had a "horrible" dealer experience the other day, thought I would speak on it. Curious if others had similar treatments.

So, probably a month ago I went to a dealership , met this sales person who took me out for 1 ride in an Ftype. At that point, wasn't sure what my next car was and he's kept in touch (by sending me spam mail basically). Anyway, I don't like to judge people but I could tell he wasn't my type of guy, but at the end of the day I'm buying a car not getting drinks with the man. So after the 1st meet, which was him telling me about the car and him telling me why I should lease and not buy. I basically been checking out other options, reading this board, signing up for JCNA (:icon_rtfm:) and just getting ready to make a proper offer on F type.

So yesterday, I go back to visit the sales person and ask him about the base model. He has 1 in stock and it's fairly loaded , alot of options I do not need or want; however, price point was about $1500 - $2000 more than I was willing to pay. Even had a spare tire, which I asked if they could just remove (which he wouldn't).

So while trying to negotiate down about $2K, he gets up and says let me see if there's a cheaper car in the area we can get for you. I approve, as at the end of the day, the car had too many options I didn't need driving the costs up and I have a set budget.

He comes back and says they can get a car in that's in my range, but doesn't give me any particulars (not to mention he was gone for at least 10 minutes and I could have swore I heard him joking around with a colleague while I waited). So, at this point I ask him again if that was the lowest he could go on the car he showed me on the lot. He said yes. So, I told him, I was just stopping by and would check back. At this point, he lets out an audible sigh. I get up and he stays seated, looks at his desk, starts shuffling papers. I stand for probably 5 seconds, he doesn't look up, doesn't reach his arm out, doesn't say anything. So I tell him, "have a nice holiday weekend" , he says "you too" never once looking at me. And I walk out.

I immediately, go 20 minutes away and meet with a sales person who literally tells me "I don't know if the guys down the street will be here in 3, 5, 10 years - but I expect to and I would love the opportunity to earn and keep your business". The stark contrast in treatment from one dealer to another (or one sales person to another) almost made me buy a car on the spot, drive it to the other dealer, and burn circles in their parking lot.

So, all this to ask has anyone encountered less than stellar salesmanship at Jaguar dealers?:icon_munching:

Whirlinturbin 09-07-2015 07:45 AM

Yes, I have. And had I not already ordered the car to spec and waited so long for it, I'd have cancelled the deal based on the salesperson's attitude and antics alone.

Originally Posted by perfectson (Post 1303309)
Had a "horrible" dealer experience the other day, thought I would speak on it. Curious if others had similar treatments.

So, probably a month ago I went to a dealership , met this sales person who took me out for 1 ride in an Ftype. At that point, wasn't sure what my next car was and he's kept in touch (by sending me spam mail basically). Anyway, I don't like to judge people but I could tell he wasn't my type of guy, but at the end of the day I'm buying a car not getting drinks with the man. So after the 1st meet, which was him telling me about the car and him telling me why I should lease and not buy. I basically been checking out other options, reading this board, signing up for JCNA (:icon_rtfm:) and just getting ready to make a proper offer on F type.

So yesterday, I go back to visit the sales person and ask him about the base model. He has 1 in stock and it's fairly loaded , alot of options I do not need or want; however, price point was about $1500 - $2000 more than I was willing to pay. Even had a spare tire, which I asked if they could just remove (which he wouldn't).

So while trying to negotiate down about $2K, he gets up and says let me see if there's a cheaper car in the area we can get for you. I approve, as at the end of the day, the car had too many options I didn't need driving the costs up and I have a set budget.

He comes back and says they can get a car in that's in my range, but doesn't give me any particulars (not to mention he was gone for at least 10 minutes and I could have swore I heard him joking around with a colleague while I waited). So, at this point I ask him again if that was the lowest he could go on the car he showed me on the lot. He said yes. So, I told him, I was just stopping by and would check back. At this point, he lets out an audible sigh. I get up and he stays seated, looks at his desk, starts shuffling papers. I stand for probably 5 seconds, he doesn't look up, doesn't reach his arm out, doesn't say anything. So I tell him, "have a nice holiday weekend" , he says "you too" never once looking at me. And I walk out.

I immediately, go 20 minutes away and meet with a sales person who literally tells me "I don't know if the guys down the street will be here in 3, 5, 10 years - but I expect to and I would love the opportunity to earn and keep your business". The stark contrast in treatment from one dealer to another (or one sales person to another) almost made me buy a car on the spot, drive it to the other dealer, and burn circles in their parking lot.

So, all this to ask has anyone encountered less than stellar salesmanship at Jaguar dealers?:icon_munching:

Unhingd 09-07-2015 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by perfectson (Post 1303309)

Of the 3 Jag dealers I went to, 2 were going out of their way to get my business and 1 didn't even try to accommodate or get my business (salesperson was real arrogant). That dealership had the most cars on the lot and probably had no interest in selling built-to-order cars (the only way I could get into a 6 speed at the time). I was able to get excellent deals from the other 2 dealers but went with the one that had the first 6 speed coupe allocation). The dealer I selected clearly focuses on customer satisfaction. As soon as the salesperson realized the transaction would be more complex than selling off the lot, he turned me over to the General Manager for the negotiation and 7.5 month wait time.

Uziel 09-07-2015 10:14 AM

I've been spectating this board for a long time, and just recently placed an offer on a new build for an F-Type S.

I can honestly say that I was surprised at my experience with the closest Jaguar dealership. I've made two visits there now, and both were rather strange (I have been steadily car shopping over the last year, as we just bought my wife a brand new mid-size SUV for her and the kids).

My trips to the Jag dealership were different than every other brand out there - BMW, Land Rover, Lexus, Audi, Acura, and (for that matter) both Ford and Kia.

The salesman who helped me had been working at the place for "13 years" and was nice enough - but didn't seem to really know particulars about the car. Moreover he tried to convince me that the MSRP in the "configurator" was a "no-haggle price" when virtually no one lays out MSRP on these cars. Hell, true-car has the F-type tagged as "highly negotiable."

I countered with something closer to 5.5% off the MSRP and he implied that this was below invoice (it was not). I told him about the JCNA rebate (guess we're not getting that anymore). There was no manager on site during either visit and I've gotten correspondence by email haggling about the price. When we finally got to a reasonable number - I got the "price plus fees" line, which I missed at first pass.

Frankly, you'd think that a brand with a (perhaps undeserved) reputation for unreliability, very high price point, marginal resale value, and a generally low take-rate would be more accommodating? Both times I visited the lot, it was like a ghost town. I cant imagine these things fly off the shelf.

TXJagR 09-07-2015 12:02 PM

I shopped 2 dealers. The first one was a Jag / Lotus dealer. I wasn't ready to buy but spent some quality time with a nice salesperson. About 2 weeks later I stopped by again to ask some more questions, and he was no longer employed at the dealer, so I pretty much started over again with a new salesperson. Still wasn't ready to buy, but I knew I wanted the F-Type at this point.
About a month later I stopped by and was ready to work out a price and order my car. Guess what... the new salesperson I had spoke to was no longer employed there either... Just left a bad taste in my mouth, so I went to a different dealer.

The second dealer sells all kinds of high end cars including McLaren, Bugatti, Rolls, Bentley, and yes, Jags. I was treated like nothing short of royalty even though I was buying their least expansive brand. To this day my sales person still shoots me an email and checks up on me. I honestly feel we have a connection and he is a real car enthusiast. So much better than just a salesperson.

Bret_T 09-07-2015 12:06 PM

Not Jaguar, but I did have a similar experience with BMW. I went in to the closest one to me three different times and talked to three different sales representatives when I was looking to buy a 435i. I told them to give me a call when they found out about their availability. Not once did I get a call back even though I knew cars were being shipped to dealerships. I called around and found a dealership about an hour away that ordered me exactly what I wanted and seemed very appreciative. The fact is that you just can't give some people money.

As for Jaguar, I've been speaking with a sales representative at one dealership who has let me drive two different cars (one auto and one manual). I'm kind of surprised as he seems like the least aggressive car salesman I've ever met. He communicates with me, but isn't at all pushy. I like it so far, but I guess I'll really find out how things are when the money part starts. Unfortunately, all three dealerships in Atlanta are owned by the same company, so shopping around is difficult.

SoCalJagS 09-07-2015 01:15 PM

There are lousy dealers and salesmen in all brands, from the most prestigious to least. If one suck, just move on the another.

Stohlen 09-07-2015 02:19 PM

A dealership is not a representation of the manufacturer and a manufacturer isn't a representation of the dealerships. If you don't like one its easy to move on and find another, which it looks like you did.

That being said, this doesn't seem like a terribly bad sales experience. It kinda just sounds like he wouldn't meet your price requirements and you didn't like that. Also, why were you trying to buy a car that had things you didn't want?

slojotaa 09-07-2015 03:29 PM

I must agree. I have seen bad behavior from three sales people, including one that I bought on of my Jags from. Here is the secret sauce. Strange, unacceptable behavior in any dose warrants not an encounter, but rather a result......."EXIT STAGE LEFT"!!!!! $ on a car, speak louder than blood pressure medicine.

lizzardo 09-07-2015 03:51 PM

Is this a contest? At a local Subaru dealership:

Salesman: Can I help you?
Me: I'd like to look at a few cars.
Salesman: Are you going to buy today?
Me: No. I'm trying to decide on my next car.
Salesman: When will that be?
Me: Three to six months.
Salesman: (turns back, and speaks while walking away) Come back when you're closer to buying.

Do I win?

I also had a Porsche salesman not even look up from his phone when I walked in. He kept texting and gave a vague gesture towards the cars.

You'd think they don't need to sell cars.

At the Jaguar dealership I had a very different experience. Starting in 2013: The salesman liked my motorcycle (what's not to like?) and we drove a couple of cars. I mentioned that I didn't really want a convertible and heard a coupe was coming. We kept in touch. The Coupes came in. I drove one and said I'd heard a manual transmission was coming. He said something like, "I'm not interested in selling you the wrong car. I'm sure you'll represent Jaguar well if you get one, but you should be sure it's the car you want."

That did more than any pressure to convince me they would get my business if that's the way my decision went.

RickyJay52 09-07-2015 03:51 PM

Quite right Joe - and Happy Labor Day to all - which mirrors my attitude towards any business which doesn't provide me with the services I'm seeking (restaurants, coffee shops, or car dealerships, etc.); take your $'s and your business elsewhere.

At some point you will find the professionalism, proficiency, and positive personality - in other words, a great experience - you seek.

lizzardo 09-07-2015 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by RickyJay52 (Post 1303594)
Quite right Joe - and Happy Labor Day to all - which mirrors my attitude towards any business which doesn't provide me with the services I'm seeking (restaurants, coffee shops, or car dealerships, etc.); take your $'s and your business elsewhere.

At some point you will find the professionalism, proficiency, and positive personality - in other words, a great experience - you seek.

Absolutely. Vote with your feet.

I'm also reminded of an experience at the Maserati dealer. I stopped by to look, but knew the Gran Turismo was out of reach. The Ghibli was too big, but the salesman convinced me to drive one anyway. It was very nice, but not for me. I came back later, and coincidentally they had an Alfa Romeo 4C. No drives, but they were having an official reception there. I was talking to the same salesman as before and noted that the GT was beautiful, but not in my budget. His response? "Have you driven one yet?" He knew it wouldn't get a sale that day, or year, but he still took the time and I got to drive what was the best-sounding car I've ever driven. If I ever do get one, I know where my business will go.

RickyJay52 09-07-2015 04:05 PM

Beautiful! And...there's nothing magical about someone making you feel good about the experience and who knows...it could possibly lead to a sale later on.

It's the way everyone should treat everyone!

bjg625 09-07-2015 05:48 PM

I found buying our Maserati the lowest key ever. Salesman was very competent but obviously has learned you really can't talk anyone into a Maser or Ferrari, either you want one or you don't. They help you pick one and then negotiate price. I spent 2 weeks deciding, my wife had already decided before I ever saw car so I don't know what I was waiting for. Salesman never lost his cool and there was no typical dealer BS! Jag was more back and forth over 2 months as dealer was out of town and trade was sight unseen! Salesman hung in there!

perfectson 09-07-2015 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Stohlen (Post 1303551)
A dealership is not a representation of the manufacturer and a manufacturer isn't a representation of the dealerships. If you don't like one its easy to move on and find another, which it looks like you did.

That being said, this doesn't seem like a terribly bad sales experience. It kinda just sounds like he wouldn't meet your price requirements and you didn't like that. Also, why were you trying to buy a car that had things you didn't want?

Perhaps, you're right. When trying to buy a 75K item, you should receive sighs, discourteous behavior, and be provided a poor sales experience (by not even shaking hands or looking the customer in the eye). I guess pouting is a new sales strategy.

I didn't go to the jaguar dealer asking the sales associate to show me a car with things I don't want, so I can make random bids on it. That's the car he showed me that had the basics I wanted, it just had "extras" I did not want/need...

Stohlen 09-07-2015 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by perfectson (Post 1303684)
Perhaps, you're right. When trying to buy a 75K item, you should receive sighs, discourteous behavior, and be provided a poor sales experience (by not even shaking hands or looking the customer in the eye). I guess pouting is a new sales strategy.

I didn't go to the jaguar dealer asking the sales associate to show me a car with things I don't want, so I can make random bids on it. That's the car he showed me that had the basics I wanted, it just had "extras" I did not want/need...

Yeah but you kinda asked for the vehicle at the price you wanted regardless of what options it had. I get it, not everything is perfect, and this situation clearly wasn't... but you can't blame a whole cooperation based on some joe schmo who's frustrated about loosing a sale.

perfectson 09-07-2015 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Stohlen (Post 1303731)
Yeah but you kinda asked for the vehicle at the price you wanted regardless of what options it had. I get it, not everything is perfect, and this situation clearly wasn't... but you can't blame a whole cooperation based on some joe schmo who's frustrated about loosing a sale.

I realize you didn't actually read my post, you just skimmed it and are making broad assumptions that didn't actually happen.

Stohlen 09-07-2015 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by perfectson (Post 1303751)
I realize you didn't actually read my post, you just skimmed it and are making broad assumptions that didn't actually happen.

okay, sure friend...

meefer 09-08-2015 12:04 AM

A dealer I didn't even buy from bent over backwards for me. I test drove a V6, V8S, 15 V8R, 16 V8R vert over the span of over a year. I even got a 24 hour test drive in a 2014 V8S with less than 1700 miles on it. No other marque was even close to that level of pre-sale service (the Aston guys came closest and it'll probably be my next plaything when my lease is up).

And I still didn't buy a thing from him! I felt terrible but he couldn't get me the same deal and it was too good to pass up. To his credit he didn't yell, kick, or scream when I told him I was taking the other offer. He just said "maybe next time."

Possible caveat, I do live in Southern Cali so there are a lot of dealers and generally anyone in this luxury tier needs to bring their A-game or you're dust. Within 100 miles of where I live are probably 12-13 Jag dealers.

AnD3rew 09-08-2015 02:08 AM

I bought my F as a second hand car, but from a jag dealer and it was actually a Jaguar company car. But the salesman was a complete dick, the first thing he tried was that I had to sign a purchase contract before I could drive it, of course I just turned around and went to walk out, and then he tried every other crappy used car salesman trick in the book. I would have walked except it was the prefect car at a price I could afford and there were none others around like it. Then at the end he had the gall to ask me to send him an email of recommendation. I just ignored him.