Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Pops when changing gear (V6) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/pops-when-changing-gear-v6-220399/)

Falkenhayn 07-12-2019 03:16 AM

Pops when changing gear (V6)

I have a MY2020 V6 and nopticed that I only can get pops when changing gears if I do it manually. It's pretty easy, just change gears when you are above 2500rpm. However I saw some videos where the V6 also does this automatically when driving in S and Dynamic however it doesn't work for me. Is this normal? Does it only work automatically if I'm driving it very hard and even then it's not guaranteed?

OnlySlightlyEvil 07-12-2019 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Falkenhayn (Post 2097697)
I have a MY2020 V6 and nopticed that I only can get pops when changing gears if I do it manually. It's pretty easy, just change gears when you are above 2500rpm. However I saw some videos where the V6 also does this automatically when driving in S and Dynamic however it doesn't work for me. Is this normal? Does it only work automatically if I'm driving it very hard and even then it's not guaranteed?

Try dynamic, S shift, then floor it.

RGPV6S 07-12-2019 07:11 AM

I only get pops and crackles when I let off on the gas or when car downshifts in sport mode. During upshifts in auto mode nothing really and if upshifting with paddles just a shift burp.

Falkenhayn 07-12-2019 07:30 AM

Yes, I was talking about the shift burp/fart, but if your 2014 model doesn't do this in auto mode then it seems to be normal, maybe only when you push it really hard as evil said.

Jklad 07-12-2019 01:54 PM

To hear the pops and crackles in an auto, you’ll want to drive in manual mode. Give it around 40% throttle or more, then when you’re above 5000rpm let off the gas. You can do this in any gear, but will probobly hear it better in 1st-3rd.

Unhingd 07-12-2019 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jklad (Post 2097937)
To hear the pops and crackles in an auto, you’ll want to drive in manual mode. Give it around 40% throttle or more, then when you’re above 5000rpm let off the gas. You can do this in any gear, but will probobly hear it better in 1st-3rd.

Any higher gear than that, you’d be exceeding the speed limit anyway.

I know...that comment is irrelevant.

StormtrooperFtype 07-15-2019 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Falkenhayn (Post 2097697)

so you're not talking about the backfire/overrun pops, the Fart on upshift, typically known as a DSG fart. my v6s doesn't do it in auto mode S mode really ever, very rarely, but in manual it will do it basically 100% of the time on hard acceleration.

uncheel 07-17-2019 07:28 PM

I get less on upshifts if I'm running automatic, but it's reliably farty if I'm pushing at all and use the paddle shifters. (There's no automatic RPM adjustment for the gear change.)

Overrun pops happen in all modes when you back off, but will be a bit more pronounced in Sport mode (because it downshifts quicker than Normal), and even more so when you're using the paddles, since you're in complete control. (And, when it gets too quiet, just drop down another gear and start all over.)

To the OP, you'll should get more noise as the car gets broken in, so don't give up.