F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather steering wheel issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 09:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leather steering wheel issues?

Hello all- just curious to see if anyone else is having the same issues with their leather wrapped steering wheel? I have a 2014 v8s leather wrapped OEM steering wheel and the top portion of the wheel is wrinkling terribly and very soft to the touch. I only have 16k miles and yes I live in south Florida so it's hot but I don't believe the leather wheel should look this abused already!? (I also don't park directly in the sun most of the time) I will send pics tonight...anyone else having this issue? Or is this something I can ask to replace under warranty? Thx in advance!

Old 07-13-2017, 09:58 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd definitely ask for a warranty replacement. I've had issues with the paddles and buttons getting sticky and the finish going to pot. Guess the Brits don't know what sunshine is capable of...

Old 07-13-2017, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,583 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by tdienes
Hello all- just curious to see if anyone else is having the same issues with their leather wrapped steering wheel? I have a 2014 v8s leather wrapped OEM steering wheel and the top portion of the wheel is wrinkling terribly and very soft to the touch. I only have 16k miles and yes I live in south Florida so it's hot but I don't believe the leather wheel should look this abused already!? (I also don't park directly in the sun most of the time) I will send pics tonight...anyone else having this issue? Or is this something I can ask to replace under warranty? Thx in advance!
No question that that would be covered under the warranty. It's funny but I am having a similar issue with my daughter's 2014 Mazda 3 steering wheel. The leather is wearing in a premature fashion - and she, and the car, have been in South Florida the past 3 years - and when I contacted Mazda they are well aware of this issue and plan to replace it as soon as my daughter can take it in (now that she is back in NY). Her car has about 21,000 miles and neither her car or yours at 16k should experience that.

Haven't heard any issues here about premature wear of the steering wheel...but there's always a first.

Good luck,
RJ52

Old 07-13-2017, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Use leather conditioner, like Lexol, on all leather surfaces and don't leave your car in the sun without sunscreen in the front window. They won't replace it second time.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,583 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Use leather conditioner, like Lexol, on all leather surfaces and don't leave your car in the sun without sunscreen in the front window. They won't replace it second time.
I think using leather conditioner is very important on ALL leather surfaces (as I've noticed my seats "wrinkling" more than I would like unless I use conditioner which helps immensely). The OP states that his wheel is wrinkling badly, and soft to the touch, which one would not expect of a steering wheel. Seats yes, wheel no.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi all, not sure if this is similar to what you have experienced, and curious of others' feedback on this. I have a 2018 MY F type R convertible. Already, the steering wheel and leather portion of the shifter appear to be getting sticky, almost like the gunk buildup that happens over time with older cars....anyone have that experience/recommend a solution? I have tried (albeit not Lexol) and also magic eraser (which I saw on a youtube post). Any thoughts much appreciated!

Old 07-16-2018, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Actual leather must be cleaned with PH-balanced cleaner. I recommend Lexol leather cleaner. It is unlikely that 2018MY car from IL, even if left outside all summer, would have issues with leather. It just doesn't degrade that fast.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:16 AM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

The sun is a very powerful thing...

Old 07-16-2018, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky fuze
The sun is a very powerful thing...
lol...I don't think so!

The following users liked this post:
dmchao (07-19-2018)