Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Progress pictures of my Plastidipped F-type inside (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/progress-pictures-my-plastidipped-f-type-inside-150264/)

doctordeuce 09-22-2015 01:47 AM

Progress pictures of my Plastidipped F-type inside

5 Attachment(s)
I dropped off the F-type a few days ago and the guys doing the work have sent me a few progress pictures. There have been a total of 7 coats applied (I believe it was 4 coats of the base coat called flex blue and then 3 coats of pearlescent bora bora). The bora bora is a color changing coat. The first picture is when they washed my stock car to remove any contaminants and the following pictures are how the colors evolved with the coats applied.
The next step is for the car to dry fully and then they will be plasti-dipping the front chrome grill surround, the side mirrors, the front quarter chrome accent and the spoiler a color called hyperblack. I will post more pictures as the car is completed and when I pick it up.

MarcusXFR 09-22-2015 08:31 AM

You like to switch things up every now and then don't ya DD. The blue color is not bad but I would love to see some shots of the different hues it will morph into like during the evening. Enjoy!

Foosh 09-22-2015 08:39 AM

I assume (hope) this can be removed without any leftover residue or paint damage. I'm wondering how labor-instensive that is and whether my assumption is correct.

Unhingd 09-22-2015 09:19 AM

Why did you feel compelled to do this?

DFW 09-22-2015 09:20 AM

I've seen people use Plasti Dip on cars before... won't the finish on the car be "rough" to the touch? Also, doesn't Plasti Dip have a dull finish - even when they overspray with the clear gloss?

Foosh 09-22-2015 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by DFW (Post 1313656)
I've seen people use Plasti Dip on cars before... won't the finish on the car be "rough" to the touch? Also, doesn't Plasti Dip have a dull finish - even when they overspray with the clear gloss?

Yes, I've seen DIY jobs on beaters. I don't think I've ever seen it done to an expensive, late-model car.

buickfunnycar.com 09-22-2015 10:48 AM

Not my cup of tea but hey...if it floats your boat, I say rock it! :icon_headbang:

enderle 09-22-2015 11:20 AM

Plasti-dip. I use this stuff for a lot of things. Most recently to cover up the dings on my black wheels on the truck. It comes off pretty easy and often in car washes particularly if you have sprayed around the edges. But it is actually easier on the paint then wrap is (particularly some of the Chinese stuff). It is pretty easy to apply as well. It is great particularly if you want a short term solution, for instance the guy I parked nest to at the last show used this to turn his new Corvette into something that looked much more race ready (he used it to black out much of his lower body and add accents). He also had a bunch of race looking stickers made with the show name instead of the vendor. he won an award but it was all coming off the following day. If you wanted to change your car's color regularly this likely is the best way to go.

shift 09-22-2015 11:33 AM

nice! If there was a reputable guy who did it in the Bay Area I was thinking of plastidiping my car/wheels for fun. Seems much easier than a vinyl wrap since I'd probably only want it on for a few months.

doctordeuce 09-23-2015 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1313635)
I assume (hope) this can be removed without any leftover residue or paint damage. I'm wondering how labor-instensive that is and whether my assumption is correct.

There is zero residue left on the paint when removed. The issue with removal is when DIY'ers use cheap aerosol cans and do not apply even coats or only a few coats. In that manner, the plastidip tears and come off in little pieces. There are 7 coats applied here. Total removal would take between 1 to 1.5 hours.

doctordeuce 09-23-2015 12:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1313658)
Yes, I've seen DIY jobs on beaters. I don't think I've ever seen it done to an expensive, late-model car.

Dip Coat protective spray has been applied, which makes a smoother surface and enhances the pearl color. I picked up the car tonight and it is striking! Have already gotten 2 compliments at traffic lights in about 30 mins of local road driving. I'm excited to see how the color will pop in the sun.

TXJagR 09-23-2015 05:46 PM

Just curious how the price compares to a complete vinyl wrap?

Tel 09-23-2015 07:45 PM

I didn't have the heart to comment when I first saw the post as it wasn't my cup of tea at all, however, seeing the last picture, I quite like it.

It's a shame though (to my eye at least), that the matté effect seems to dull down some of the cars design lines and makes it look more rounded, which is a shame.

But hats off to you!

There are some French Blue wrapped F's appearing in the UK now...

Foosh 09-23-2015 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tel (Post 1314801)
I didn't have the heart to comment when I first saw the post as it wasn't my cup of tea at all, however, seeing the last picture, I quite like it.

It's a shame though (to my eye at least), that the matté effect seems to dull down some of the cars design lines and makes it look more rounded, which is a shame.

But hats off to you!

There are some French Blue wrapped F's appearing in the UK now...

I agree, it's better than I expected and doesn't look bad at all. However, I'm not a matte fan either.

doctordeuce 09-24-2015 12:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by TXJagR (Post 1314714)
Just curious how the price compares to a complete vinyl wrap?

Total cost was $1,600. ($1350 for the main body, $100 for the roll bar hoops, and $150 for side vent, front grill surround, and spoiler)).

hardwired 09-24-2015 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by shift (Post 1313743)
nice! If there was a reputable guy who did it in the Bay Area I was thinking of plastidiping my car/wheels for fun. Seems much easier than a vinyl wrap since I'd probably only want it on for a few months.

Anyone know a good, and not too expensive, shop on the Bay Area?
I'd like to plastidip the side skirts and vents in a different color for a couple of months.

Op: love the color and hope to see a lot more pics

EightJagXKRS 04-24-2024 03:30 AM

What is the state of it after a longer period of time. Is it still holding?

Carbuff2 04-24-2024 09:06 AM

Note that doctordeuce hasn't looked at the Forum since 2017... :icon_angel: