Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik

If you really want a cool helmet, you can always get them painted. There are many places around the world that will customize your helmet for you. Here are some examples in the USA:

CC Custom Coatings & Graphics...Custom Paint That Rocks! - Helmet Custom Paint
Custom Helmet Painting and Design
Be careful: paints and varnishes can destroy the integrity (strength) of the shell and the helmet will lose its rating. Do not apply either without consulting with the manufacturer.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Be careful: paints and varnishes can destroy the integrity (strength) of the shell and the helmet will lose its rating. Do not apply either without consulting with the manufacturer.
As long as you don't bake the paint, it's fine. Every professional race driver out there has their helmet painted.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
As long as you don't bake the paint, it's fine. Every professional race driver out there has their helmet painted.
The solvent in some coatings can deteriorate the shell. It's still worth checking with the helmet manufacturer.

This is your brain:

This is your brain on track:

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
SinF (03-24-2016), Uncle Fishbits (03-24-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 02:24 PM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

I think Kyle/Mahjik has it right....not sure if the M helmets don't comply with the multiple hit part, they do not have the nomes liner.
Pretty sure most HPDE groups permit the M helmets.
A bit strange to worry about fire as we all in HPDE seem to wear cotton pants and shirts, often short sleeves and so on, so to obsess about a helmet liner is a trifle amusing.
As mentioned fit is everything...many have a Shoei head...many have an Arai head.
Then we can get into full face v. open....the topic has endless possibilities.
Bottom line...just like voting, go HPDE'ing "early and often".

Old 03-23-2016, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

The solvent in some coatings can deteriorate the shell. It's still worth checking with the helmet manufacturer.
It's an old wise tale that pops up on car forums from time to time with zero evidence to back up the claim. Maybe if you have some 60 year old lead paint in a barn, that may not be a good idea to use... However, the suggestion in this thread is for a professional painter who specializes in painting helmets, rather than suggesting the OP do it on his/her own.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (03-24-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Awd
I think Kyle/Mahjik has it right....not sure if the M helmets don't comply with the multiple hit part, they do not have the nomes liner.
Pretty sure most HPDE groups permit the M helmets.
Motorcycle and Automobile standards are different. I was going to look for a simple link but started down a rabbit hole of dry specs, baseless opinions, and everything in between. I gave up, so if it is critical to you, do your own research. I've been through a fair number of motorcycle helmets and have sufficient trust in the sanctioning bodies that I get what is required for what I do. Or better.

I'd be multiply dead without quality motorcycle helmets. When the car event organizers tell me that I need a different helmet to satisfy them, I buy one. For HPDE I was OK with an M/C helmet, but not for wheel to wheel racing, and not just because of the SFI rating.

Last edited by lizzardo; 03-23-2016 at 09:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Arne (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

This is your brain:
[/IMG]
It's a moot point as autocross isn't racing, and I might be one and done anyway. LOL I saw that Nuremberg crash reel and yeah I am so super duper not going to do that. AND NOT BECAUSE I'M SAVING IT FOR A FUTURE COLLECTOR. LOL

Old 03-24-2016, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
It's a moot point as autocross isn't racing, and I might be one and done anyway. LOL I saw that Nuremberg crash reel and yeah I am so super duper not going to do that. AND NOT BECAUSE I'M SAVING IT FOR A FUTURE COLLECTOR. LOL
I've never autocrossed but HPDE was a hoot, especially at a track where I have so many motorcycle laps. Still, I imagine there's nothing quite as much fun as saving your car for a future collector. Maybe I'll give that a try. Someday. Maybe.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Coming back to this, I spent a few more minutes and found a brief FAQ on differing standards on the Snell Memorial Foundation website:

Snell Foundation - Helmet FAQ

Flammability and multi-impact are the two factors listed.