Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Rolling Your Windows Down Holding Unlock (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/rolling-your-windows-down-holding-unlock-110903/)

New2Jag 01-30-2014 10:11 PM

Rolling Your Windows Down Holding Unlock

Not sure if anyone knew... I searched, it hadn't been posted that I could see, sorry if it had been.

Windows roll down holding unlock on the key fob long enough. They will not roll back up that I can tell, nor does the top come down. Figured I'd share as it was a 'surprise' to me.

themacs 01-31-2014 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by New2Jag (Post 901162)
Not sure if anyone knew... I searched, it hadn't been posted that I could see, sorry if it had been.

Windows roll down holding unlock long enough. They will not roll back up that I can tell, nor does the top come down. Figured I'd share as it was a 'surprise' to me.

All sorts or mysteries! This can be done by pushing both windows buttons at the same time of course Too bad it doesn’t put the top down!!!!!!!! That would be a great feature.

I’m sure some of us will find more!

Scott

New2Jag 01-31-2014 08:37 AM

My fault for not being clear. I meant on the Key fob remote.

Holding down lock while sitting in the car to roll windows down wouldn't be a feature to me it'd be an electrical issue. Lol

pembroke 02-02-2014 12:37 AM

I think that is common to a lot of cars. My Lexus IS 250 does the same.

Forrest Keith 03-04-2019 06:07 PM

News to me!
(Didn't see that in the manual.)
Thanks!

jaguny 03-04-2019 07:05 PM

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...bought-150558/

Try above link to a forum thread that covers discoveries.

Unhingd 03-04-2019 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by New2Jag (Post 901162)

Windows roll down holding unlock on the key fob long enough. They will not roll back up that I can tell, nor does the top come down. Figured I'd share as it was a 'surprise' to me.

That works on my 2002 MINI, but not a feature that works on my 2016 F-Type.

Unhingd 03-04-2019 07:48 PM

OK Jay, it looks like both Vince and I got shnookered into responding to a 5 year old thread.

jaguny 03-04-2019 09:21 PM

n

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2035409)
OK Jay, it looks like both Vince and I got shnookered into responding to a 5 year old thread.

I responded to Forrest Keith's post and even so, some 5 year threads deserve a second life.

lizzardo 03-04-2019 10:32 PM

If I hold the button down long enough, my coupe turns into a convertible! (But the windows stay up).

scm 03-05-2019 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2035404)
...not a feature that works on my 2016 F-Type.

Isn't it an option in the Vehicle Settings?

Robman25 03-05-2019 03:25 AM

That worked on my ‘92 XJ40, its called global open/close it also does the sun roof. It worked on the key with the ‘40 as I didn’t have a remote.

usgpru27 03-05-2019 10:25 AM

This is a great product. I put on on my Porsche. Plug and play. Computer interface to adjust the features as you like.

mods4cars Online Shop

Unhingd 03-05-2019 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by scm (Post 2035524)
Isn't it an option in the Vehicle Settings?

Might be. I'll take a look. If I keep the unlock pressed, the car goes berserk and starts to sound like a trapped roadrunner (meep, meep...meep). And then the burglar alarm goes off when you try to open the door. Fortunately pressing the unlock button again calms the beast down. I swear...this f...ing thing is alive. DO NOT MISTREAT!

Well...it kinda works, but not consistently. Haven't missed it over the past 3.5 years, so I ain't going to obsess over it. I never use the fob to lock or unlock the car anyway.

Unhingd 03-05-2019 06:52 PM

Here's what I've concluded:
1. Global windows open works if enabled in settings.
2. Even if enabled in settings, Global windows close will not work in the U.S. This feature is not mentioned in the U.S. Owner's Manual.

To verify, can anyone in the U.S. close the windows by keeping the lock button depressed on the fob for more than 3 seconds?

lizzardo 03-05-2019 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2035754)
I swear...this f...ing thing is alive. DO NOT MISTREAT!

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/a-minus-minus.png

OzXFR 03-05-2019 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2035824)
Here's what I've concluded:
1. Global windows open works if enabled in settings.
2. Even if enabled in settings, Global windows close will not work in the U.S. This feature is not mentioned in the U.S. Owner's Manual.

To verify, can anyone in the U.S. close the windows by keeping the lock button depressed on the fob for more than 3 seconds?

Same here in Oz.
I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but it works differently in different markets due to different "health & safety" laws and regulations.
In Oz and I guess the US the powers that be are scared that some little tyke or critter unseen by the external fob operator might get their little paw caught by the closing window so "global close" (but not "global open") is outlawed and therefore disabled from the factory.
But I have never figured out why this is needed as I understand all Jags and pretty much all cars these days already have "anti-trap" to prevent anything being caught in a closing window, probably just the usual Nanny State over-reach.

jaguny 03-06-2019 10:43 PM

This was discussed some time ago, somewhere in this forum. Can't global close in US, only open. There must be a way to reprogram. I'd expect you'd need a knowledgeable and willing technician? A Cambo type person who can crack the Hammurabi code.

DJS 03-07-2019 09:32 AM

A SmartTop controller does the trick for us vert owners. Got it to remotely raise/lower the roof, of course, but it can also open/close the windows, either with the roof up/down, or by themselves.

scm 03-07-2019 05:44 PM

In the UK we're trusted to be responsible on global close, with the following warning in the handbook: "Make sure no children, pets or obstructions are in any open aperture before operating global closing feature."