F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratched side windows

Old 01-03-2019, 03:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Pete,

It was the smoothest I could get off the internet, I will root it out and post a photo. The scratches do return but don’t seen as bad. Let me know how you get on with the dealer

kevin

Old 01-03-2019, 08:21 AM
WJV
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

JLR's warranty has to be among the best in the industry. BMW SA's would laugh if you brought anything like this to their attention. So happy to be a Jag owner now. I have this scratched glass issue on my driver's window and will bring it up during my next service visit in a few months.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:04 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Mine were scratched had the door seals and windows replaced under warranty well done jaguar but sad to say they have both cone again in the same place. 2 deep vertical scratches on drivers side on one on passenger side . Drivers side is worse due to window getting wound up and down more

So Will be back to main dealer to see what they say

Old 01-07-2019, 04:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xdave
Hi Pete,

If the scratches can be felt with your fingernail then polishing won't remove them 100% but can make a big difference to blending them in as it will round off the corners that catch the light. If the scratches are superficial only they should be completely removed with polishing. Any suitable glass polishing compound and a machine polisher would do the job easily (it would likely be cheaper to take it to a body shop to have it done if you don't already have the tools/compound). Hand polishing would take longer but you should be able to achieve the same result. Note that the side windows (at least in the UK) have a water repellent coating that would need to be reapplied after polishing if you want to retain it. (Useful in heavy rain, but it does cause those vertical white lines when the glass mists up.)

If the dealer won't do the replacement under the warranty (which they probably won't) then at retail cost the seals are £64 and the glass is £130 per side so not excessively expensive and probably only twice the price of the polishing. You can easily replace yourself with just a few hardware store tools. You'd need to replace the seals to prevent the scratches coming back anyway, so for £130 per side you may just want to get new glass and keep the olds as spares (or sell them on as used).
thanks for getting back appreciated, after I get the seals replaced Im gonna try polishing either myself or professionally. I hadn't noticed them when I picked her up a month ago, I assume they'd been polished out previously by whoever sold on to dealer as the dealer swears they hadn't seen them either and is at least willing to part pay for the fix if no joy on warranty.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Horne
Hi Pete,

It was the smoothest I could get off the internet, I will root it out and post a photo. The scratches do return but don’t seen as bad. Let me know how you get on with the dealer

kevin
thanks kevin appreciated , currently sitting in costa while ftype' s in Jaguar dealer now. Will update in due course but Im definitely going to try the compound after seals replaced! Did you completely hand polish or use a buffer at all?

Old 01-07-2019, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4uk
Mine were scratched had the door seals and windows replaced under warranty well done jaguar but sad to say they have both cone again in the same place. 2 deep vertical scratches on drivers side on one on passenger side . Drivers side is worse due to window getting wound up and down more

So Will be back to main dealer to see what they say
not very reassuring that it's likely to come back mind, think Kevin's cleaning method mentioned earlier might be a regular tactic Ill use to ensure grit free

Old 01-07-2019, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Pete from Newcastle
thanks kevin appreciated , currently sitting in costa while ftype' s in Jaguar dealer now. Will update in due course but Im definitely going to try the compound after seals replaced! Did you completely hand polish or use a buffer at all?

Old 01-07-2019, 05:45 AM

Hi Pete,

kevin

Here's the quote Kevin, a little more than expected so Im definitely trying your method first. How often have you had to clean the seals and polish btw? Cheers , Pete

Old 01-07-2019, 11:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pete

I clean the seals each time I wash the car which is probably once a month, it only takes a couple of minute to clean the seals. I have only polished the window once, and, although I know there are very small scores on the glass you can hardly notice and if I didn’t already know then I don’t believe you would notice at all.
the bottom line is that there is no way I would spend £1,000 to have this rectified when I would continue to worry of it would happen again.

hope this helps

kevin

Old 01-07-2019, 11:53 AM

Pete

I clean the seals each time I wash the car which is probably once a month, it only takes a couple of minute to clean the seals. I have only polished the window once, and, although I know there are very small scores on the glass you can hardly notice and if I didn’t already know then I don’t believe you would notice at all.
the bottom line is that there is no way I would spend £1,000 to have this rectified when I would continue to worry of it would happen again.

hope this helps

kevin
I'm with you on that one Kevin, I don't mind paying some extra attention to cleaning like this but I do mind forking out £1000 for a design fault that "may" re-appear. Cheers for the advice and let me know the compound you use and I'll order some asap !

many thanks

Pete

Old 01-08-2019, 07:20 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

hi Pete nice to meet some one else with an F type from my neck of the woods

Old 01-08-2019, 12:24 PM

Hi yes its great to meet you too! Not too many F-types up here in the North ! makes this car look so special when you do see one and I get tons of appreciating glances and comments when out and about as I'm sure you do to!!

Old 01-08-2019, 01:45 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,382 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Not too many F-types up here in the North!
Not just in the North - we're a very exclusive bunch!

Old 01-08-2019, 06:18 PM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I have always uses Chrome Polish on any glass issues. Works great. I have been using it for years.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by usgpru27
I have always uses Chrome Polish on any glass issues. Works great. I have been using it for years.
thanks for the tip, any particular brand you'd recommend for the chrome polish? Cheers, Pete

Old 01-10-2019, 10:44 PM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

thanks for the tip, any particular brand you'd recommend for the chrome polish? Cheers, Pete
Not really. I just use Turtle Wax. Let me know how you make out.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 671 Posts

I restore old cars as a hobby and often the only option is to polish the glass. I've managed to polish out some seriously deep 50+ year old scratches with cerium oxide compound. You can look up how-to videos online and even purchase inexpensive kits online with all the supplies for a small project. If the scratches are deep or numerous, just be prepared to spend some quality time. I don't know anything about the F-type side window glass specifically tho so it might be wise to remove the glass and test a spot below the belt line. Actually, the compound tends to splatter (you have to keep it wet) and get into places you wouldn't think possible so its probably best to remove the glass for the procedure anyway. But I suspect you could save several hundred dollars vs replacing it.

Last edited by pdupler; 01-11-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by pdupler
I restore old cars as a hobby and often the only option is to polish the glass. I've managed to polish out some seriously deep 50+ year old scratches with cerium oxide compound. You can look up how-to videos online and even purchase inexpensive kits online with all the supplies for a small project. If the scratches are deep or numerous, just be prepared to spend some quality time. I don't know anything about the F-type side window glass specifically tho so it might be wise to remove the glass and test a spot below the belt line. Actually, the compound tends to splatter (you have to keep it wet) and get into places you wouldn't think possible so its probably best to remove the glass for the procedure anyway. But I suspect you could save several hundred dollars vs replacing it.
Many thanks for the advice, the scratches are not seriously deep but you can feel them with your fingernails , such a shame but I will definitely look at trying the cerium oxide compound

Old 01-15-2019, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by usgpru27

Not really. I just use Turtle Wax. Let me know how you make out.
will do I'm going to order some now and let you know the result. Can't have a go until next Wednesday but will keep you updated cheers , Pete

Old 01-15-2019, 12:39 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

I've printed out the bulletin below to show to dealer next time I'm in for service:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...or-windows.pdf

Search this Thread