Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Should I buy this Ftype with issues? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/should-i-buy-ftype-issues-253698/)

Oscargoldman6 11-23-2021 07:56 PM

Should I buy this Ftype with issues?

So I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on an F-Type in my price range. Always been a do-it-yourselfer with every car I've owned including a Porsche Boxster with good luck. Timing chains, wheel bearings, simple electrical issues, etc. A YouTuber basically.

Here is the description of a 2015 F-Type in the exact exterior and interior I'm looking for. I'm trying to ignor 'car fever' and let logic guide me on this one. Any suggestions on whether I should run from this deal or possibly buy and try and fix the issues? Thanks to anyone and everyone in advance for your advice. I know the final decision is mine, but man I dig this car! Just not in a position to drop 50K-60K! Hence rebuilt and salvage is under investigation.

"2015 Jaguar F-Type S 3.0 6cyl SUPERCHARGER. Car runs and drives great with out any mechanical problems.

1. Car mileage unknown due to the dash not changing to that option.

2. Audio display don't wont and same with climate control ( needs new module) . Car will come with a rebuilt title."

KalamazooJag 11-24-2021 09:40 AM

You can rebuild it...better, stronger, faster!

Seriously though...any idea what happened to the car that caused the total loss and "rebuilt/branded title"?

SouthSider 11-24-2021 09:46 AM

Personally I would pass. Mechanical issues are one thing, but electrical "Gremlins" are a different ballgame. Especially in todays world. Be patient, a better deal always comes around.

zach05855 11-24-2021 10:00 AM

Sounds like a flood damaged car....Hard Pass

lizzardo 11-24-2021 10:40 AM

I agree that it sounds like a flood-damaged car, and also agree that this one is best let go.

The part about the dash not switching to a mode that shows mileage is highly questionable. I don't think there is a mode that doesn't show mileage. I'll look later but I think mileage is always displayed.

Mahjik 11-24-2021 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Oscargoldman6 (Post 2468438)
So I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on an F-Type in my price range. Always been a do-it-yourselfer with every car I've owned including a Porsche Boxster with good luck. Timing chains, wheel bearings, simple electrical issues, etc. A YouTuber basically.

If you do these things for a YouTube channel, you'll probably get a lot of views repairing such a car. I will say, depending on the condition of the car and how it got into that condition, this type of repair could stretch your knowledge around cars. That could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it.

uncheel 11-24-2021 11:35 AM

I'm in the "pass" camp. A Carfax should give you some idea of history/location/mileage. But, the electrical issues and rebuilt title sound suspect.

lizzardo 11-24-2021 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo (Post 2468601)
The part about the dash not switching to a mode that shows mileage is highly questionable. I don't think there is a mode that doesn't show mileage. I'll look later but I think mileage is always displayed.

I checked when I was out running an errand today. The mileage is always shown, at least in every mode I tried.

JacksonvilleJag 11-25-2021 03:04 AM

https://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/d/...411427753.html

This one? Run. I agree it's probably flood damage. Car is filthy and looks as though the "dealer" (used loosely) is trying to do a quick flip.

OzXFR 11-25-2021 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag (Post 2468846)
https://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/d/...411427753.html

This one? Run. I agree it's probably flood damage. Car is filthy and looks as though the "dealer" (used loosely) is trying to do a quick flip.

Yep, that one for sure.
Another clue that it is probably flood damaged or maybe pulled out of a river/pond etc is it's missing the front tow hook hole cover.

RGPV6S 11-25-2021 07:46 AM

Looks to me from the photos that the front of the car is a different shade of silver too.

Dwight Frye 11-25-2021 08:44 AM

I wouldn't touch that one with a 3.048 meter pole. Even if you can do a lot of mechanical work yourself, electronic gremlins can be a real nightmare to fix. And you'd still have a car with questionable history and a salvage title that would be very difficult to sell again.

Taking a quick look online for 2015 F Types with the V6 for sale, you should be able to buy one for under $45k or even less from a private seller. I understand that is about 2X what the car in question is selling for, but you would get 4X the car for that extra money. I'll bet that salvage title car smells like swamp water too.

Whatsnext 11-25-2021 08:47 AM

Any electrical issue I would agree on the pass. Those are typically very hard to pinpoint and you can chase those issues forever and go broke. One will come up that will fit what you are looking for.

uncheel 11-25-2021 12:16 PM

Look at the engine cover and the trim around the nose. This cat has been swimming.

Oscargoldman6 11-25-2021 01:08 PM

Well, it sounds like a resounding NO from everyone. Have to admit I was hard leaning that way myself. Guess I needed a slap to get back to earth. Thanks to everyone for their knowledge and insight.

Water damage always puzzles me though. How the hell does anyone allow their car, especially an expensive exotic car, to be dunked in water? Anyway, thanks again to everyone!!!

The search continues!

sov211 11-25-2021 01:10 PM

Yup...definite flood car...not to mention that the "audio system don't wont and same for climate control" (sic) - and couldn't they have made SOME effort to clean the interior, at least? This car and this dealer are to be avoided at all cost.

scm 11-25-2021 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Oscargoldman6 (Post 2468979)
Water damage always puzzles me though. How the hell does anyone allow their car, especially an expensive exotic car, to be dunked in water?

In a flood, the water comes to the car!

davidmaria1 11-25-2021 02:16 PM

Here's a thought, before I start stuffing my face.
That craigslist ad just got a LOT more hits and exposure...

F-Type-Tailpipe 11-25-2021 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo (Post 2468742)
I checked when I was out running an errand today. The mileage is always shown, at least in every mode I tried.

This is different for my 2014, you can click the blinker button in (may be wrong term for the button but you get the point) and it will switch from mileage, active mpg, etc.

lizzardo 11-25-2021 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by F-Type-Tailpipe (Post 2469018)
This is incorrect. On my way (2014 f type), you can click the blinker button in (may be wrong term for the button but you get the point) and it will switch from mileage, active mpg, etc.

It's correct for the 2016, but apparently not for the older instrument pane. When I cycle through those same choices, the total mileage is always visible. Going to the link posted later I can see it's got the older display.