F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SimCard Issue

Old 07-21-2018, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by MaineJagMike
SIM card is required for the vehicle to communicate using cellular network telematics module that is ATT specific. You can't just pop another SIM in there and in fact the SIM needs to be programmed to the VIN of your vehicle through JLR.
Mike,

Thats only the case for the SIM dealing with the cars security systems. This [second] SIM is for the satnav and WiFi hotspot for 2018 onwards...

Old 07-21-2018, 06:30 PM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Pie944
New simcard and now it shows 3G.
x1 start. Second start no data and it says “data only available for SOS”

Old 07-21-2018, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member

@Pie944.
Is this the sim in the slot under the armrest ? Thats the one for the satnav/WiFi [ if your model has WiFi] . That simcard needs to be DATA ONLY ! So not a regular mobile-phone-sim, but a special card for a tablet, a simcard
that can NOT be used for phoning. If you put it in an old phone [ beware only use micro-sim , don't reduce it to 'nano' as it will not like to be fitted with a nano/micro adapter in the car afterwards[ says the manual also..],
it should NOT be able to make calls ! And the system is 4G ... .. might show 3G if no 4G masts available in your area.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
@Pie944.
Is this the sim in the slot under the armrest ? Thats the one for the satnav/WiFi [ if your model has WiFi] . That simcard needs to be DATA ONLY ! So not a regular mobile-phone-sim, but a special card for a tablet, a simcard
that can NOT be used for phoning. If you put it in an old phone [ beware only use micro-sim , don't reduce it to 'nano' as it will not like to be fitted with a nano/micro adapter in the car afterwards[ says the manual also..],
it should NOT be able to make calls ! And the system is 4G ... .. might show 3G if no 4G masts available in your area.
yup! That’s the one. It’s a minor issue, but would be nice to resolve.

The initial att simcard the dealer provided never worked as far as I know(didn’t notice until a week after owning). They sent me a new one this past week after trying a few minor things and initially it showed 3G. Today was the second time I started up the car and it had no connection. In the connectivity area it also showed a comment under mobile data “data only available in sos”. I think this is an issue on the dealer side. The only thing is when I setup incontrol after getting an email it initially failed since the car was in a building gettting detailed, however 12 hours later is setup. I might delete the car and add it from that angle.

Any ideas would be great? I’ve been letting the dealer handle it to no avail. I called att who said the dealer needs to set it up. I might call jaguar myself, but because it is such a minor issue I haven’t had the drive.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

They sent me a new one this past week after trying a few minor things and initially it showed 3G.
What you see as '3G' can be your phone connected to 3G throught BT and your car... Put your phone on flight mode and check again. Go to a downtown area or a place you are sure the provider has covarage.
I am quite certain its the wrong type of simcard... What you could try, if you have a 'micro sim' suitable mobile phone, is to put the sim in that phone. Go to security / PIN code and reset the simcard PIN to 'not required'..
That was the final step the simcard I have now needed to work. Entering the PIN '0000' in the car did not work , it never even asked for the pin..

Old 07-21-2018, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
What you see as '3G' can be your phone connected to 3G throught BT and your car... Put your phone on flight mode and check again. Go to a downtown area or a place you are sure the provider has covarage.
I am quite certain its the wrong type of simcard... What you could try, if you have a 'micro sim' suitable mobile phone, is to put the sim in that phone. Go to security / PIN code and reset the simcard PIN to 'not required'..
That was the final step the simcard I have now needed to work. Entering the PIN '0000' in the car did not work , it never even asked for the pin..
The package had a PIN 1111, I tried that in the car and it didn't work(phone off). Unfortunately, I don't have a phone that can utilize micro sim. The simcard came directly from the dealer in a package both times, it briefly connects to ATT before showing the no signal image in the upper right hand corner of the screen. I reset the InControl with the car, also no change. I also notice I have no WiFi option to Tether even if I create it from my phone where I think the car should have this? Not sure if it needs the SIM functional to create it from other sources. I won't even use this with the car, it's just you have this internal itch to make sure everything is working. I know this is some minor fix, most likely from the side of the dealer. So it's a little annoying that a simple thing can't be resolved by the dealer, it makes me worry if a big issue comes up how it will go. The car is otherwise perfect. The only other issue is I can't get the Tire/Wheel insurance contract yet because the dealer claims Jaguar hasn't produced them for the MY19.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:50 PM
Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

yup! That’s the one. It’s a minor issue, but would be nice to resolve.

The initial att simcard the dealer provided never worked as far as I know(didn’t notice until a week after owning). They sent me a new one this past week after trying a few minor things and initially it showed 3G. Today was the second time I started up the car and it had no connection. In the connectivity area it also showed a comment under mobile data “data only available in sos”. I think this is an issue on the dealer side. The only thing is when I setup incontrol after getting an email it initially failed since the car was in a building gettting detailed, however 12 hours later is setup. I might delete the car and add it from that angle.

Any ideas would be great? I’ve been letting the dealer handle it to no avail. I called att who said the dealer needs to set it up. I might call jaguar myself, but because it is such a minor issue I haven’t had the drive.
In addition to the SIM card needing to be programmed to your VIN your dealer needs to log on to the admin site and enroll the new SIM to your vehicle and account so the network can match it up. I doubt it will work properly until this is done and it sometimes takes 48 hours or more before the network refreshes and it will pass data.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:03 AM
Veteran Member

The package had a PIN 1111, I tried that in the car and it didn't work(phone off). Unfortunately, I don't have a phone that can utilize micro sim. The simcard came directly from the dealer in a package both times, it briefly connects to ATT before showing the no signal image in the upper right hand corner of the screen. I reset the InControl with the car, also no change. I also notice I have no WiFi option to Tether even if I create it from my phone where I think the car should have this? Not sure if it needs the SIM functional to create it from other sources. I won't even use this with the car, it's just you have this internal itch to make sure everything is working. I know this is some minor fix, most likely from the side of the dealer. So it's a little annoying that a simple thing can't be resolved by the dealer, it makes me worry if a big issue comes up how it will go. The car is otherwise perfect. The only other issue is I can't get the Tire/Wheel insurance contract yet because the dealer claims Jaguar hasn't produced them for the MY19.
First : are we talking about the SIM under the armrest , otherwise you have to listen to 'MaineJagMike'... They use TWO sim's . One for the incontrol, all the cars have that. The second SIM is since MY2018, under the armrest.
If it is under the armrest : this has NOTHING to do with 'in control'. You have to get the sim functionality to work, before you get to the WiFi part. But : its not sure your car has it ! Ihave the toprange infotainment, but no WiFi.
In the Netherlands and UK they left it out...

I suggest you get to a mobile repairshop. Explain your problem and tall your dealer doesn't know what to do. Ask them if they have an old mobile around with a microsim, then they can set it up that the PIN is not requested by the car.

Good luck !

Old 07-25-2018, 03:30 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Actually all of this reminded me of something that happened this weekend and I forgot when I went by the dealer to get the stuff I had left in my trunk back on 7/3 when I dropped her off. As mentioned above, in my loaner, under the armrest in the center console I discovered the SIM that runs the navigation by accident. On Saturday when I stopped somewhere and went to put my shoes back on (yes, I drive barefoot if possible, don't judge me!) there was a "thing" (like my technical term?) that had AT&T on it and it has the pins like it was plugged in to the port. I just threw it in the door pocket and promptly forgot about it until this discussion. Is this something that should be plugged in for car computer purposes? Something someone else accidentally left in the car? Tracking? Now I'm curious. Again, it's a Disco, not one of our Jags, but I would think similar enough for this conversation.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:57 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Here are pictures of SIM cards...
https://www.google.com/search?q=sim+...iw=999&bih=853

A SIM card is an encrypted thingy that lets the mobile data/phone provider tie you to your account. You need one to connect at all.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by PBBarb
there was a "thing" (like my technical term?) that had AT&T on it and it has the pins like it was plugged in to the port.
If its 'plugged in' you can hardly see it, just a 1 cm long white stripe ; the back of the simcard.. If its loose, lingering about in the car, it doesn't do a thing..
Most likely thats an expired data sim...

Old 07-30-2018, 09:31 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Reading SIM

Hi,

99% of the time, Connectivity, Mobile Data shows "Reading SIM". Once, it was successful, at which time I pressed Mobile Data and the next screen showed AT&F and some other stuff.

My dealer says that the car cannot be in the garage, that it needs to be outside for it "to connect".

Question: does it make sense that I have to be outside for this "armrest SIM" to work?

Thanks for the help.
Bill

Old 07-30-2018, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bill.
Question: does it make sense that I have to be outside for this "armrest SIM" to work? Thanks for the help. Bill
Yes. As in the garage the LTE signal from the mobile mast can be blocked. I even don't have coverage on my driveway as I live on the edge of a reserve
and the nearest mast of my provider is 3km away...

Old 07-30-2018, 11:33 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill.
Hi,

99% of the time, Connectivity, Mobile Data shows "Reading SIM". Once, it was successful, at which time I pressed Mobile Data and the next screen showed AT&F and some other stuff.

My dealer says that the car cannot be in the garage, that it needs to be outside for it "to connect".

Question: does it make sense that I have to be outside for this "armrest SIM" to work?

Thanks for the help.
Bill
Makes no sense to me that the connectivity would be lost in the garage. If I understand correctly, the SIM card is simply the activation data for the on-board cellular phone built into the car. Does your phone work in the garage? If so, why wouldn't the car's?. I actually have my car's phone number, given to me when I signed up for InControl.
AT&T is the provider, so call them ILO the dealer. I know it's a shock, but people don't always know what they're talking about.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi,

My non-fancy LG L34C smart-phone (but not "super smart" for the price that we paid) using TracFone wireless cellphone provider works fine in the garage. I was also able to step through the Bluetooth configuration to connect the F-Type & the cell phone to each other and then make a call, while sitting in the F-Type in the garage.

I am going to stop by the dealer in a day or two and see if he can figure out what I am doing wrong.

Back to the Owner's Handbook,
Bill

Old 07-30-2018, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

@Fujicoupe.

This is about the 2nd sim under the armrest. Nothing to do with your phone. Its data-only for the satnav and WiFi, if fitted.
You don't need the number, only a MAC adress if you connect it to your WiFi.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

@Bill.

If its the SAME provider, the signals comes from the same mast. So if you can connect to that network with your mobile in the garage and through the BT connection,
most logicly it must be able to connect the 2nd sim to that particular mast as the signal apparently is strong enough inside your garage.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:24 PM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

I'll just butt out. Obviously there is a failure to communicate, and I don't have a dog in this fight. My smart phone and my smart F-Type both connect to their respective cellular towers just fine from the inside of my garage--the phone via Verizon and the car via AT&T.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

@Fujicoupe.
Then you are probably near enough to both celltowers, or these providers share their networks. At my home, my car [ read : in control app ] has contact with the relevant tower when parked at the front of my house,
and I can start my car etc with the app, but I can not upload a route to the navigation as thats another provider... As I park my car diagonally from my house on the other side... ... in control has no connection and
I can upload routes... This is exactly why JLR drives me INSANE by using TWO simcards instead of a single one. And yes, I did try to park at the other two corners of my house and there is NO coverage at all...

Old 07-30-2018, 01:31 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Bill,
No, that doesn't make sense. Perhaps you need to be outside to get a data connection, but it should not be prompting you about the SIM card when you don't have a connection. Perhaps the first time, when the SIM is activated, or perhaps if the SIM has expired.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SimCard Issue