Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So the new XK is coming, would you switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 316 Posts
Default So the new XK is coming, would you switch

I had two generations of the xk which i loved, now the F-type, would i switch back to the new variant, time will tell, looking forward to seeing the finished machine.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/...=ientp#image=1

Old 05-21-2018, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

I really doubt it. The "backseat" is largely useless in most of these cars and I didn't buy the FTYPE for the space but for the joy of a sports car. This XK is bound to be heavier and less nimble and I'm not looking for a true GT car. It does look pretty however.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (05-22-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbourne
I really doubt it. The "backseat" is largely useless in most of these cars and I didn't buy the FTYPE for the space but for the joy of a sports car. This XK is bound to be heavier and less nimble and I'm not looking for a true GT car. It does look pretty however.
I could certainly be tempted. But it would get down to that pesky manual transmission question: To be or not to be?

mbelanger (05-22-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 08:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No interest in increased size or a back seat I would never use.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbourne
I already consider the F-Type to be a GT, although to the sporty side of GT.

If I were to switch, the "back seat" would mostly be to stash my lunch box going to work, or groceries going home. I think it unlikely though, given that I can't afford to take the depreciation on another luxury car and still hope to retire before I die.

slojotaa (05-31-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 09:55 PM
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

The FType is already hitting 4000lbs, how could this be any more? My Land Rover Discovery is only 800lbs heavier than my FType and that car is 800lbs heavier than a corvette, Cayman etc.

My guess is it comes in very close to the FType in weight. It will most certainly have provisions for hybrid etc, and be the platform the next FType is built on,

Or its just a lengthened version of the FType.

It does look pretty, I’m surprised there is a market for this car. I suspect it will be priciey.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:06 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Well, you know on the XJ, they have the XJ LWB.
How ‘bout having a FType LWB, with the possibility or scrunching in a human? You’d at least have a space to throw your coat, hat, papers, etc.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

The ONLY way I would consider it would be if it was offered not as a 2+2 but rather as a competitor to the Aston Rapide (suicide rear doors) PLUS include the electric Hybrid motor(s) so that it qualified for the $7,500 government incentives similar to the Tesla. Build THAT and Jag will get additional clientele from the Panamera, Audi RS7 and yes, even those of us who have lusted for a Rapide would buy one at 50% that cost.

Jaguar is one of the few companies that has not already built their initial allotment of hybrids so they can offer such an incentive on their first 200,000 cars produced. Now, many of those will certainly be the I-Pace but there is no reason that Jag would not be able to also offer a similar drive train for a high performance GT and/or perhaps the production version of the C-X75 prototype. Either of these are plausible due to their recent hire of Jamal Hameedi away from Ford

Last edited by ndabunka; 05-21-2018 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackPenquinn
It does look pretty, I’m surprised there is a market for this car. I suspect it will be priciey.
if I had to guess, possibly going after the Panamera or the Mercedes GT Coupe. It looks like it's about as long as either of those. To me, the XK is by far the best looking of the three. I just don't have any interest in something that big.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 563 Likes on 382 Posts

I wouldn't be motivated to dump the F-Type for the sake of a little cabin storage, but I'd certainly consider it when the time comes for a replacement. I'd certainly expect it to be preferable to a Panamera.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:58 AM
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackPenquinn
That's an "artists rendition" (which is a term that a lot of these mostly "click bait" car sites use for "one of our guys likes cars and spends all day on Photoshop"). I doubt Ian Callum's studio would come out with anything that garish.

I seriously considered an XK-R, but I just couldn't get past the stodgy interior and super low-tech infotainment system. Not that the F-Type's is anything groundbreaking, but it's light years ahead of the last XK's, even when they put the sport seats in. I honestly don't see a market for a 2+2 and a sports car, but if a business case could be made, it would be nice to see the XK return.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

1) I don't need/want a 2+2 for what is essentially a summer toy for me

2) That rendition looks nice but I'm sure the actual production car will look somewhat different.

3) it WILL be heavier....it has to be as it will undoubtably use much of the same drivelines and underpinnings but with the longer body

2 cents,
Dave

Old 05-22-2018, 12:34 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd

I could certainly be tempted. But it would get down to that pesky manual transmission question: To be or not to be?
+1. I originally was looking for a low miles 2008 Aston V8 Vantage but could not find an acceptable manual transmission car so I opted for a new F type. Depending on how the new XK is outfitted (power plant, trans, suspension, etc...) and priced...it could be a contender to buy but I'd still probably keep the F type as well.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Let's agree to say we will all buy one, so we can see it built.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:06 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by uncheel
I wouldn't be motivated to dump the F-Type for the sake of a little cabin storage, but I'd certainly consider it when the time comes for a replacement. I'd certainly expect it to be preferable to a Panamera.
Panamera (I was looking for the vomit one but didn't see it). Sorry, I just think that thing is an abomination (although I do laugh when my husband makes a joke about it being the perfect car for President Snow from Hunger Games). I figure I'm keeping my F-Type until I die and get buried with her, and I certainly don't need a 2+2 because very few people get to ride in my car and I've had less storage than I currently have in my car so I've gotten used to that and besides, more space means more likely to collect junk in the car because "I'll just get it out later" doesn't always happen if you have space. I will always want a convertible, so I couldn't give that up and we don't "need" two of a similar type in the driveway, so I can't see me making a switch, but others might be tempted by it for many of the reasons stated already.

And I apologize for the run-on sentence, but I'm too lazy to go fix it.

Old 05-24-2018, 04:30 PM
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It will look nothing like that.

DPelletier (05-28-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 01:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

The XK is dead and buried. Any mention of a new XK is pure heresay.