Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Soft top won't unlatch. (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/soft-top-wont-unlatch-200697/)

superq7 04-26-2018 01:49 PM

Soft top won't unlatch.

Went to open the roof after the winter and it only opens slightly it's as if one of the latches is stuck/binding any ideas? it's a 2017 car only done 2,000 miles, thanks in advance Stuart.

sov211 04-26-2018 03:14 PM

The problem is almost certainly with your battery. These cars, all modern luxury cars, have modules that require full battery voltage at all times. If they don't get full voltage symptoms like this can be expected. Do you have a battery maintainer (not charger), CTEK being the preferred brand?

Unhingd 04-26-2018 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by sov211 (Post 1884604)
The problem is almost certainly with your battery. These cars, all modern luxury cars, have modules that require full battery voltage at all times. If they don't get full voltage symptoms like this can be expected. Do you have a battery maintainer (not charger), CTEK being the preferred brand?

Maintainers are totally unnecessary (unless you’re storing it over the winter) if the charging system is working properly, which we now know is not always the case.

superq7 04-26-2018 06:26 PM

I really don't think its the battery the car is driven every week and starts on the button, its still under guarantee so Jaguar can sort it out, good excuse to ride my Yam MT10 though.

sov211 04-26-2018 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 1884641)
Maintainers are totally unnecessary (unless you’re storing it over the winter) if the charging system is working properly, which we now know is not always the case.

That is quite true if the car is used daily or almost daily and for runs long enough to keep the battery at full charge- which is rarely the case for these cars. If you want an idea of the very varied symptoms that a low battery charge can produce you can check the myriad threads on this in the X150 forum. The very reason that our cars often show a "battery Low. Start engine" warning is because of Jaguar's experience with the XK (X150).
Furthermore, every luxury car manufacturer: Jaguar, Land Rover, Maserati, Bentley, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, ...sell the CTEK maintainer under their own brand name (at inflated prices) and they all do so because their modern computer-filled cars are energy-consuming beasts. The range of symptoms of a less than full charge battery include but are not limited to: the touch screen freezing, the convertible roof not operating or latching properly, window malfunction, seat movement malfunction, various warning lights for different systems, exterior lights flashing...the list is long and random.
If you use a proper maintainer when the car is not being driven (it takes all of 5 seconds to connect it because you make a permanent connection to the battery or remote terminals) the result is zero electronic issues.
If, however, your car is a daily driver and your runs are long enough to permit a nearly full recharge, then of course you will not experience any problems. The car in question had just come out of winter storage I believe and has only 2000 on the odometer.
With modern cars the first suspect for any electronic issue is the battery itself.

sov211 04-26-2018 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by superq7 (Post 1884704)
I really don't think its the battery the car is driven every week and starts on the button, its still under guarantee so Jaguar can sort it out, good excuse to ride my Yam MT10 though.

The car will always start -that means nothing (I can prove this by telling you of incidents I have witnessed and dealt with but my typing finger is getting sore!) Jaguar has designed the electrical system that way - it selectively sacrifices the ancillary systems to leave the engine last. If the car is used WEEKLY rather than daily, I repeat that the battery is the first thing to be suspected, not the roof module or mechanism

Unhingd 04-26-2018 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by sov211 (Post 1884721)
That is quite true if the car is used daily or almost daily and for runs long enough to keep the battery at full charge- which is rarely the case for these cars.

I let my car sit for weeks at a time when I'm torturing it with my many projects, and in the last year I've only had it on a lengthy trip once (more than 10 miles). I am now subjecting the Lithium battery to the same abuse. We'll see if it can stand up to the same level of reliability. Once I figured out the OBD issue, the charging system performs as well as any vehicle I've had or have. I do have a maintainer (based on forum discussions), but have never used it.

John-Handy 05-04-2018 12:10 PM

Just had the same fault car sat for five days! 😐

John-Handy 05-05-2018 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by superq7 (Post 1884567)
Went to open the roof after the winter and it only opens slightly it's as if one of the latches is stuck/binding any ideas? it's a 2017 car only done 2,000 miles, thanks in advance Stuart.

Stuart can you confirm that the battery was the issue? Is this resolved?

John

John-Handy 05-08-2018 05:35 AM

Any update OP?

Would love some feedback before i shell out for a new battery please.

John

John-Handy 05-12-2018 08:52 AM

Still not working :(

Ok so I replaced the battery did a window reset and the thing will at least latch itself now!

still the left side refuses to move! (When trying to lower the roof)

i think it needs a manual reset but no idea how to do that!?

any advice chaps?

P.S. thanks for the update OP helping me no end! :-/

John-Handy 05-13-2018 01:49 AM

Bump

A little help please guys! Battery changed and still not working :(

John-Handy 05-14-2018 05:42 AM

HELP!!!

Its at the dealers now £180.00 (circa $300 US) just to look at it!!!!!! :(

@Unhingd

Can you see if you can drum up some support form the Tech guys this thread is getting the big blank :icon_rolleyes: and i am worried about having my pants pulled down by the dealer as it is no longer in warranty!

Unhingd 05-14-2018 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by John-Handy (Post 1894763)
Its at the dealers now £180.00 (circa $300 US) just to look at it!!!!!! :(

@Unhingd

Can you see if you can drum up some support form the Tech guys this thread is getting the big blank :icon_rolleyes: and i am worried about having my pants pulled down by the dealer as it is no longer in warranty!

Since I have a coupe, Dave (DJS) probably knows a lot more about vert issues than I do. I seem to remember a similar problem reported on the forum related to a non-functional operating motor. In any event, alignment is so critical on a motorized top that I would not recommend a DIY approach. Just don't let them talk you into a whole new roof.

DJS 05-14-2018 08:54 AM

Haven't been many issues reported here (a couple, perhaps), and happily I've never had a problem. There's obviously something wrong with your roof that needs to be repaired, so I guess I'd suck it up and pay the diagnostic fee. That gets applied to the final bill, if they're able to repair it?

John-Handy 05-14-2018 09:01 AM

Thanks

Originally Posted by DJS (Post 1894833)
Haven't been many issues reported here (a couple, perhaps), and happily I've never had a problem. There's obviously something wrong with your roof that needs to be repaired, so I guess I'd suck it up and pay the diagnostic fee. That gets applied to the final bill, if they're able to repair it?

thanks there are at least 6 known issues recent in the uk.

The annoying thing is that it was out of the blue with no warning at all. If it had been struggling I would have understood better and maybe get a better read on the symptoms.

some were fixed by battery disconection and reset. Others were not.

me and 1 other currently have the exact same issue in the UK as the OP. So might be worth keeping an eye on.

sure we can spread good knowledge when we know more.

thanks for your support

john

DJS 05-14-2018 09:05 AM

Try PM'ing the OP - that should trigger an email to him, so maybe you can get in touch that way, if you haven't yet.

John-Handy 05-14-2018 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by DJS (Post 1894847)
Try PM'ing the OP - that should trigger an email to him, so maybe you can get in touch that way, if you haven't yet.

I did and got nothing back. These forums are here for us all to draw support and knowledge from each other.

It is utterly disappointing when we fail to look out for each other and update people on progress or solutions when suffering the same issues.

https://www.ftypeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1640

Roof Stuck - Jaguar F-Type Forum

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-issue-139856/

A quick google finds these and there are at least 6 in the uk F Type FB page saying the same things.

Yet nobody knows the ins and outs of the mystery convertible gremlins yet??

I was a member of the MKIV owners club and the technical knowledge on the forum was asstounding.

Would be nice to see the same spirit on this forum.

Rant over lol

f-driver 05-14-2018 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi John ,
enclosed picture from the workshop manual shows the location of all
motors of the roof. Studying this will perhaps lead to more detailed
information about "soft top won't unlatch". Literally this means
Motor #4 doesn't work in a correct manner. Most likely motor #1
and #7 which are synchronized via CAN bus communication are out of sync
due to a defective motor or by a faulty control module.
Dealer should be able to check all the motors via SDD.
By the way there is a detailed description on how to unlatch / open /
close the roof manually in your user's guide which might help to locate
the problem.

Regards
Ulrich

DJS 05-14-2018 11:37 AM

F-driver, excellent point - I forgot about the manual opening procedure, haven't looked at that since I took delivery in 2013.