Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Sport vs reg Drive mode... (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/sport-vs-reg-drive-mode-214962/)

NavyBlue 03-12-2019 08:41 PM

Sport vs reg Drive mode...

I've been recently driving more & more in the Sport "S" mode lately vs just the boring regular Drive "D" mode in my R convert.
Probably up to 30% of the time, that's when traffic clears up a little bit on the roads.
Just curious, how often do you guys drive in S vs D mode?
Also, for auto transmission, How much/often ya'll shift manually? Maybe only 5% of the time for me...

jaguny 03-12-2019 08:58 PM

I don't drive in anything other than S with dynamic on. Manual shift, 5% sounds about right.

StormtrooperFtype 03-12-2019 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny (Post 2038994)
I don't drive in anything other than S with dynamic on. Manual shift, 5% sounds about right.

Dynamic in S 85% of the time, early mornings drive to school regular mode in D, when I'm in Dynamic and S 95% of the time using manual mode.

OzXFR 03-12-2019 09:31 PM

I'm a little confused here.
I drive in Dynamic mode 99.9% of the time, the other .1% in Normal mode only when it's absolutely pissing down (it never snows and there is never any "black ice" where I drive).
I use S mode about 20% of the time, when traffic allows.
But people here are talking about "how often do you manually change gears in S mode", when my understanding and all my experience tells me that when you are in S mode you HAVE to manually change up, you simply have no choice, the car will hit redline and bounce off the rev limiter all day and still not change up!
It changes down automatically as you come to a stop yes, but never up!
Or, as I suspect, does S mode work differently (ie auto change up) if you are in Normal and not in Dynamic?
I don't think I have ever driven the car in that combo, might have to try it and check it out one day.

bjg625 03-12-2019 09:35 PM

Dynamic on weekends and regular on weekdays, sometimes make an exception on nice days with roof down!

IndyCruiser 03-12-2019 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR (Post 2039010)
I drive in Dynamic mode 99.9% of the time, the other .1% in Normal mode only when it's absolutely pissing down (it never snows and there is never any "black ice" where I drive).
But people here are talking about "how often do you manually change gears in S mode", when my understanding and all my experience tells me that when you are in S mode you HAVE to manually change up, you simply have no choice, the car will hit redline and bounce off the rev limiter all day and still not change up!
Or, as I suspect, does S mode work differently (ie auto change up) if you are in Normal and not in Dynamic?
I don't think I have ever driven the car in that combo, might have to try it and check it out one day.

Dynamic 95 % of the time
D (Normal Mode) in Stop and go traffic
S Mode the rest of the time, stays in automatic shift mode until you start using the paddle shifters.
Paddle shifters in the twisty bits or when the mood hits me.
With paddle shifting it will stay in gear and redline.
Holding the Up shifter for 3-5 seconds will switch back to automatic shifting while in S Mode.

NavyBlue 03-12-2019 10:19 PM

Yes, Dynamic 97% of the time, other 3% in weather mode when it's raining. Never in reg normal mode.
I find that the auto trans shifts much better than I can trying to manually shift since it redlines too quick...

Unhingd 03-12-2019 10:27 PM

Dynamic 100% of the time.
Manual shifting 100% of the time. ;)

OzXFR 03-12-2019 11:03 PM

Lance, I s'pose you could say you are in "super sport" mode all the time!

OzXFR 03-12-2019 11:11 PM

OK, found it on page 82 of the Owner's Handbook, and it is exactly as I suspected:

Note: When the transmission is set to
permanent manual mode and Dynamic mode
is selected, transmission upshifts are fully
controlled by the driver. The transmission will
not change up automatically, even when the rev
limit is reached (the gear position indicator in
the Message centre will glow amber, to indicate
that the next gear should be selected).

So this is how it works only in both Sport and Dynamic, and as I said I have never driven in Sport and Normal.

KarimEls 03-13-2019 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2039039)

I'm with Unhinged here. Dynamic and manual, 100% of the time, especially with the VAP exahust!

SS4PK 03-13-2019 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2039039)

DITTO!

scm 03-13-2019 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR (Post 2039051)
OK, found it on page 82 of the Owner's Handbook, and it is exactly as I suspected:

So this is how it works only in both Sport and Dynamic, and as I said I have never driven in Sport and Normal.

Ah, but the bit you missed was "When the transmission is set to permanent manual mode", so unless you've used the paddles it'll shift automatically.

StormtrooperFtype 03-13-2019 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR (Post 2039051)

In sport and normal even when ur in manual with the paddles it auto up shifts right at redline

StormtrooperFtype 03-13-2019 11:41 AM

Dynamic and In S will auto upshift and downshift as long as you don't touch the paddles or use the shifter to shift down or up, when in regular mode and in S manual it will auto upshift right at redline. I have my paddles turned off in non S, even in dynamic.

OzXFR 03-13-2019 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by StormtrooperFtype (Post 2039250)
Dynamic and In S will auto upshift and downshift as long as you don't touch the paddles or use the shifter to shift down or up, when in regular mode and in S manual it will auto upshift right at redline. I have my paddles turned off in non S, even in dynamic.

Hmmm.
I notice that when I first move the shifter over to S it doesn't show what gear it is in, but as soon as I shift up or down with either the shifter or a paddle it shows the gear.
I'll have to try it one day - D plus S but don't touch the paddles or the shifter, and see if it upshifts automatically.
But that seems completely pointless to me, why would anyone have it in Dynamic & S and NOT then use either or both of the paddles and the shifter?

DJS 03-13-2019 06:47 PM

Never liked just S - holds a gear too long. May be OK if you’re thrashing it continuously. D+S+paddles for spirited driving.

scm 03-14-2019 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR (Post 2039394)
Hmmm.
I notice that when I first move the shifter over to S it doesn't show what gear it is in, but as soon as I shift up or down with either the shifter or a paddle it shows the gear.
I'll have to try it one day - D plus S but don't touch the paddles or the shifter, and see if it upshifts automatically.
But that seems completely pointless to me, why would anyone have it in Dynamic & S and NOT then use either or both of the paddles and the shifter?

It shows the gear when you use the paddles to indicate it's in manual mode. In D it'll shift automatically unless you touch the paddles to switch to manual and will revert to auto if you leave the paddles untouched for a few seconds after using them. In S it will stay in manual once the paddles have been touched. It won't upshift automatically in manual mode. I don't think dymanic mode alters the behaviour of either D or S.

OzXFR 03-14-2019 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by scm (Post 2039570)
It shows the gear when you use the paddles to indicate it's in manual mode. In D it'll shift automatically unless you touch the paddles to switch to manual and will revert to auto if you leave the paddles untouched for a few seconds after using them. In S it will stay in manual once the paddles have been touched. It won't upshift automatically in manual mode. I don't think dymanic mode alters the behaviour of either D or S.

"Dymanic" mode (I like it, I call Dynamic "Dimaniac"!) most definitely alters the behaviour in Drive, it holds onto the gears longer before changing up and changes down with a little more urgency, and the throttle response is a little sharper.
Other than that, I think there has been a little confusion between D = Drive and D = Dynamic in this thread (not by you I might add).

scm 03-14-2019 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR (Post 2039578)
"Dymanic" mode (I like it, I call Dynamic "Dimaniac"!) most definitely alters the behaviour in Drive, it holds onto the gears longer before changing up and changes down with a little more urgency, and the throttle response is a little sharper.
Other than that, I think there has been a little confusion between D = Drive and D = Dynamic in this thread (not by you I might add).

I was only referring to the behaviour of auto vs manual shifting that I'd described, not the dymanic change to engine, shift points, etc.