Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Squirrely back end (V8) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/squirrely-back-end-v8-214653/)

bchains 03-05-2019 10:59 AM

Squirrely back end (V8)

Gents, I have a F-Type S (V8) and often I step on the gas from a standstill or at a low speed the back end slips just a little bit before stabilizing and allowing the car to move forward. My tires are regular street tires (not anything exceptionally sticky). Traction control is default on. Dry and wet roads. Whenever this happens I back off the gas out of fear of losing control, or worse.

Presumably Jag could program the cars NOT to do this.. ie, when you hit the gas the car throttles the throttle allowing for a smooth yet powerful acceleration. Yet it happens to me quite frequently. So my question is: does the ECU allow a little fishtail for fun, and is this safe? Do you guys just "go with it" and assume the car will straighten out?

I previously owned a few 911s including a turbo and given the rear engine design the cars would never slip/slide/fishtail... just go. I know Jag tries to make the backend of the F-type heavier by putting the battery there, etc..

scm 03-05-2019 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by bchains (Post 2035642)
Presumably Jag could program the cars NOT to do this..

They have - it's called snow/ice/rain mode. ;)

DJS 03-05-2019 12:04 PM

Or simply normal mode rather than dynamic. If you have the OEM Pirellis, many of us have moved on to Michelins.

Weight distribution is close to 50/50, I think.

addict 03-05-2019 12:46 PM

Presumably Jag could program the cars NOT to do this..

I think a lot of us bought the car because it DOES do this

that said, PSS or PS4s tires will make a big difference

Itismejoshy 03-05-2019 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by addict (Post 2035672)
I think a lot of us bought the car because it DOES do this

that said, PSS or PS4s tires will make a big difference

^^^ i was thinking this exact same thing! The P-Zero's do lack in traction sometimes, but its a 500hp RWD....Try the PS4's (they are a better tire) but you can still wax those from a stop also with too much skinny pedal.

Unhingd 03-05-2019 04:26 PM

Presumably Jag could program the cars NOT to do this....

I suspect that Jag was assuming that you had at least some nominal control over your right foot. Not even my 450hp V6 will behave itself under a planted foot launch despite the MP4S tires and all the normal nannies deployed.

bchains 03-05-2019 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2035772)
I suspect that Jag was assuming that you had at least some nominal control over your right foot. Not even my 450hp V6 will behave itself under a planted foot launch despite the MP4S tires and all the normal nannies deployed.

Control sure.. I can soft accelerate but it would be nice to have the car do a 100% efficient launch rather than me guessing where it should be. After all its an automatic tranny! I suppose this is why the V8 doesn't have a launch control like the V6 which basically goes full gas. Maybe there should be? I'll try the snow/ice mode as described above for my launches (shedding a tear).

Unhingd 03-05-2019 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by bchains (Post 2035776)
After all its an automatic tranny!

What the heck is that? ;)

SinF 03-05-2019 04:57 PM

Presumably Jag could program the cars NOT to do this.

You post is very cringe-worthy and I had hard time not to deservingly flaming you for this.

SinF 03-05-2019 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2035782)
What the heck is that? ;)

An automatic tranny is a cyborg transsexual person. Keep up with times old man.

Queen and Country 03-05-2019 06:49 PM

does the ECU allow a little fishtail

The car has no way of knowing you will fishtail until you fishtail.
Same as anti-lock brakes.

The reason you are losing grip initially is without doubt the compound in your tries drying out, i.e they are getting old.

my 510hp V8R does not do this, until the tires get old.

uncheel 03-05-2019 09:05 PM

Jaguar engineered three "fixes" to your problem.
- Cripple the V8S by putting it in snow mode.
- Get a 4-banger F-Type.
- Get an AWD F-Type (not really fair to compare with the 911 Turbo, otherwise)

The suggestion for Michelins is good advice, but won't solve the basic dynamics of putting that much HP in a RWD car.

Or, you could get a Hellcat and you'd forget your question.

Dogbreath! 03-06-2019 08:19 AM

I think pretty much every one with a V8 has had this "problem" at first. The trick is to learn to roll on the gas instead of just standing on it.

I love the ability to hang the tail out - one of the reasons I bought the car.

DPelletier 03-06-2019 09:53 AM

I"m old; I hate all the nannies and usually drive with TC disabled......yes, you need to know how much throttle to apply before the tires lose traction - especially in a corner. Developing that skill is part of the fun to me.

Dave

Vali 03-06-2019 11:42 AM

I have a loaded gun.
I pull the trigger.
I am pissed the gun fires the bullet?
The car is actually very smooth when the pedal is pressed gradually.
The car spins when you MASH the throttle and yes, you will spin the wheels, the car has 495hp...

Tel 03-06-2019 11:52 AM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...d6641fac40.png
I thought this was a windup!