F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storm Grey Vs. Ammonite Grey

Old 01-10-2017, 09:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Storm Grey Vs. Ammonite Grey

Anyone have any pics to show the differences between the 2 colours?

Have a Glacier White S which I love and was going to move to a Z06 Vette but the Wife is Really against it...

I need more power than the S is giving me so I'm thinking about ordering an R .... debating between these 2 colours.

Any pics? Hard to find online! Storm Grey looks darker.

The following users liked this post:
Jagger11 (02-02-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 09:23 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Here is My Storm Grey R

It's darker than the Ammonite and more reflective. The shade varies depending on the way the light hits it as it draws in color from its surroundings. It really is a cool color.

BostonKiller (01-11-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 09:37 PM

beauty

Old 01-11-2017, 06:50 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Default ammonite

Ammonite is great as well

Last edited by ronniet; 01-11-2017 at 06:52 AM.
dwmilton (07-08-2020)
Old 01-11-2017, 08:07 AM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

So hard to choose.
When I saw this Ammonite R outside the Dealers I decided on that colour.
I then went on a Factory Tour and saw most colours. Nearly went for Storm but in the end ordered Ammonite.
Expected delivery in a couple of weeks.
Name:  3f92b475942b856ef065a5d906697e7d_zpspn1fqohk.jpg
Views: 16409
Size:  546.3 KB

Old 01-11-2017, 10:41 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Thumbs up

to me, grey (no matter which one) brings out the best in an F Type. Mine is black and it takes a little away, unfortunately...

Old 01-11-2017, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

Just the word Ammonite is revolting...

Old 01-11-2017, 11:19 AM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
Just the word Ammonite is revolting...
Not a Fossil hunter then.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 953 Likes on 714 Posts

I had to choose between the two before there were any examples to see in person. I still haven't seen one in Ammonite Grey in person, and colors on the computer are not to be trusted. When I finally do, I hope I don't regret my choice.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:48 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Don't think you will - I think both Storm and Ammonite look great. Almost as great as Salsa.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:46 PM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Hello, all, and Happy New Year to you.

I have been a proud owner of the new XE for about 8 weeks now. Never owned a Jaguar before, but I did much research on the colors being offered.

Here in the US, "metallic" colors were famous during the 70's (corvettes, pontiac muscle cars, etc)... then became considered pretentious and clownish through the '80s. By mid 90's, the idea came back, but with a beautiful subtlety to the paint that played with your eyes, and often couldn't be detected at night until you touched the car and saw the twinkle under the shadow of your hand. "Metallic" as a word was avoided by the manufacturers (didn't want to associate the long-passed muscle car era again), so cars like my toyota were referred to as 'satin-granite'.

So when the Jaguar vehicles started using the "metallic" term, I was very worried just how "metallic" the colors are.
My wonderful observation, and my advice to you, is that NO photo will do the justice you're looking for in these colors. The metallic plays with the light in this incredible way, so that the color keeps changing on your car.

Some of the colors offered are very stable, and don't respond much to being "metallic" (Italian red, Arctic white, Cobalt blue, Anomite Grey ---they respond to different kinds of fluorescent light in your garage or petrol station)...

But Storm Grey falls into the metallic-sensitive category, much like my so-named British Racing Green. Look at the car in a photo, then look at the car in a showroom, then go back to the showroom when they've moved the car outside in the lot, then visit when the sun has gone down. You get so confused, it will make you angry.

I was interested in both the Brit Grn and the Storm Gr colors. "Storm" is an excellent word for it, because each change in weather or cloudiness literally changes what you think you're looking at. But Storm Grey always draws the attention of pedestrians. It's something you expect James Bond to step out of, day or night. Gorgeous.
It's that feeling, you should decide you want or don't want when people see your car. IF you want that amount of "Lord, look at that car--what kind of car is that?"... then Storm Grey is your choice, because it's changing itself every few hours as the light progresses.

(I eventually elected the British Racing Green because, although it changes just as much as the Storm Grey, in the shade or at night, it DOESN'T draw pedestrians' attention anymore---it hides in the night, looks like the shadow of a tree or the extension of the anonymous cars parked beside it. I LOVED the Storm, but wanted the sneaky nightime blurriness that the Brit Grn pretends to have, so pedestrians will safely ignore it on the curb).

Anomite Grey holds its color very well all through the day, and at night it manages to look exactly like the "gray" colors that several other companies (KIA, BMW, Nissan) used on their cars here in the US. A nice color, but too much like my neighbors, so not too unique looking here in American cities.

So, choose your color based on that preferred "feeling" I tried to describe here. Not on the photos (the metallic plays too mischievously with the photos we try to take).

Anomite is the more stable, easy going color that pedestrians will admire, but leave you alone to drive your car.
Storm is the color that, well, is more likely to make you return to your car with the coffee in your hand,... and find that young couple has picked your car to prop up against and start kissing each other... "Hey!! What the---!"

The following 2 users liked this post by NewLester de Rocin:
JackMac (01-11-2017), jaguny (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 02:31 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by NewLester de Rocin

My wonderful observation, and my advice to you, is that NO photo will do the justice you're looking for in these colors. The metallic plays with the light in this incredible way, so that the color keeps changing on your car.

Some of the colors offered are very stable, and don't respond much to being "metallic" (Italian red, Arctic white, Cobalt blue, Anomite Grey ---they respond to different kinds of fluorescent light in your garage or petrol station)...

But Storm Grey falls into the metallic-sensitive category, much like my so-named British Racing Green. Look at the car in a photo, then look at the car in a showroom, then go back to the showroom when they've moved the car outside in the lot, then visit when the sun has gone down. You get so confused, it will make you angry.

This is very true and no surprise why they upcharge for the color.

When you look at the Storm Grey paint up close in the sun you will see a lot of different colors in the metallic flake including; blue, green, purple and silver.

The paint throws off some very different shades depending on the light, shadows and what's around it to reflect off of... the color can range from greenish grey to bluish grey to silver grey to charcoal grey to almost black at night.

It has multiple personalities! (probably why I like it)

The following 2 users liked this post by MI-FType:
Jaguar1611 (03-15-2019), NewLester de Rocin (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I had to choose between the two before there were any examples to see in person. I still haven't seen one in Ammonite Grey in person, and colors on the computer are not to be trusted. When I finally do, I hope I don't regret my choice.
Abandoning the 6 speed?

Old 01-11-2017, 05:21 PM
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by MI-FType
Here is My Storm Grey R

It's darker than the Ammonite and more reflective. The shade varies depending on the way the light hits it as it draws in color from its surroundings. It really is a cool color.

Your Storm Grey R coupe is my dream car. I'm pleased though with my Storm Grey XE V6. I get tons of compliments on the color. Here is a quick pic.
CRS

The following 2 users liked this post by CRS 123:
BostonKiller (01-11-2017), MI-FType (01-12-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 06:01 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

I ordered mine in storm before being able to see it on a production car

imo it's the more aggressive of the greys and really needs the black pack to pull off the look

this is storm in low light, note I removed the red wheel caps as they just didn't flow

Name:  SAM_1077_zpswn2dykji.jpg
Views: 8852
Size:  3.14 MB

Name:  2A6EC7AB-1B2C-4B1D-8CBC-6A6A9374CE92_zpsb4tk9k4q.jpg
Views: 6905
Size:  239.5 KB

The following 2 users liked this post by domino_z:
BostonKiller (01-11-2017), winstonsalemncxk (02-09-2022)
Old 01-11-2017, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by domino_z
I ordered mine in storm before being able to see it on a production car

imo it's the more aggressive of the greys and really needs the black pack to pull off the look

this is storm in low light, note I removed the red wheel caps as they just didn't flow

awesome....

I think storm grey with the black pack is great.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 953 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Abandoning the 6 speed?
No. I was speaking of the choice I made last year. I still haven't seen Ammonite in person and really hope I don't like it better than Storm when I do. That would be a disappointment, but a minor one I could live with. It's a great looking car, and I have no intentions of getting rid of it.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:13 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

my storm grey at night..looks even sexier in low light in my opinion.

BostonKiller (01-25-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 09:45 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ronniet

Ammonite is great as well
Love the pics. Black rims look awesome on that car in that color.
Also...the English plates look *way* better than our crappy plates on that car!

The following 2 users liked this post by allenman85:
NewLester de Rocin (01-12-2017), ronniet (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Storm grey, BRG and possibly the Ammonite are xirillac paint colors as some of you may know. There is a chart in the sticky section but ammonite is not on it as it came out later.

Search this Thread