F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Newbie Question

Old 05-12-2019, 01:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Stupid Newbie Question

I purchased a 2016 F Type base automatic. Just wondering if it's normal to feel the downshifts when braking. Thanks very much.

Old 05-12-2019, 02:49 PM
GGG
Received 16,756 Likes on 12,145 Posts

Welcome to the forums RichinBoston,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to F-Type forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 05-12-2019, 03:05 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I feel it and rather like it!

Old 05-12-2019, 03:17 PM

oh sure, will do and thanks!

Old 05-12-2019, 03:22 PM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

For the past decades I have driven standard transmission British cars and the wife’s trucks with automatics.

my new 2.0 with the automatic takes getting used to.

in the rain mode it’s pretty much like any plain car. The normal position is a little more argressive.

mine in dynamic S mode the car assumes you are driving like you stole it.

The car car tries for the most part to stay in lowest gears possible. Mine will downshift thru several gears when coming to a stop. The way I would drive a manual aggressively. I feel no need to use the paddles.

when grocery shopping one should not use dynamic S. If I acellerate hard and sort of sidestep the throttle it stays in the lower gear and the car slows a lot.

Love the damn transmission. Takes getting used to.

It it was a tough choice after 40 years of driving a stick to buy an automatic. But, I like it.

Sport means sport on mine.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 04:38 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,382 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomkatb
my new 2.0 with the automatic takes getting used to.

in the rain mode it’s pretty much like any plain car. The normal position is a little more argressive.
Er, actually the rain mode is a little less aggressive, drive mode is "normal". For the F-Type ...

mine in dynamic S mode the car assumes you are driving like you stole it.
The car car tries for the most part to stay in lowest gears possible. Mine will downshift thru several gears when coming to a stop. The way I would drive a manual aggressively. I feel no need to use the paddles.
It actually adjusts to the way you drive it - you can drive it gently in dymanic and S and it'll upshift lower as it learns. Also you can use the paddles to upshift (a lot) and it'll take the hint. Until you floor the throttle again, of course!

when grocery shopping one should not use dynamic S. If I accelerate hard and sort of sidestep the throttle it stays in the lower gear and the car slows a lot.
Yeah, that's what Jaguar calls "fast off" in which the car assumes you're only slowing momentarily and will want to get back on it pretty soon (e.g cornering on a track). If you've been driving gently (see above) it'll upshift more readily.

Love the damn transmission. Takes getting used to.
It it was a tough choice after 40 years of driving a stick to buy an automatic. But, I like it.
Yep! And yep, and yep!

Sport means sport on mine.
I refer you to my previous comments.

The following users liked this post:
SS4PK (05-14-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 06:34 AM

I love my new to me F Type. Have always wanted one since I was a little boy. My uncle had a 67 XKE convertible, yellow, and would take me and my cousin out sitting on the back deck and holding onto the back of the seat. I fell in love with the car. I think it's the most beautiful car design I have ever seen and now having had a chance to drive it a couple of days, I believe it drives as beautifully as it looks.

The following 2 users liked this post by RichinBoston:
IPMdoc (05-13-2019), scm (05-13-2019)