Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Tappets (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/tappets-214871/)

Kirk Morey 03-11-2019 05:45 AM

Tappets

Sooo, I changed out my supercharger and got rid of that noise and now I have the final 'Noise' to deal with, which my mechanics are telling me is probably a/the tappet(s).

They also tell me that it would probably mean an 'engine out' to get it done, which to be honest makes me very nervous.. It is not so much the cost, which would probably be considerable, but once I go down that road, I am always wary about everything going back in right....

More good news about tappets apparently is that on our engine, they are all different sizes and until the head is off and they can actually see them, then they can't order the replacements?

Has anybody had any tappet problems? Is what they are telling me right? How did you fix it? Should I go get a 2nd, and/or 3rd opinion?

From what information I can gather, I can just carry on regardless (it has always made this noise and I have put 20K KM on it since I have had it), is that wise..

OMG I am full of questions today..

Paul_59 03-11-2019 07:42 AM

My guess is that's what your mechanic (tech) is doing, guessing .

I would be surprised if it's tappet noise,
AJ133 / AJ126 engine seems to be a little noisy, if supercharger has been replaced with new or good quality refurbished then I would suggest taking to a tech who has experience / training on this engine.

My wild guess would be check for direct injection pump as it makes noise that can be similar to tappet noise.

There's a technical bulletin (TSB) regarding noisy injection pump.

Will attach when I find it
Got the TSB from this forum

ss23 03-11-2019 08:15 AM

Ouch, that really sucks Kirk. I had tappets damage due to one of our local "tuners" work over here. Why don't you PM me your contact number and I'll see if I can help?

Kirk Morey 03-11-2019 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Paul_59 (Post 2038128)
My guess is that's what your mechanic (tech) is doing, guessing .

I would be surprised if it's tappet noise,
AJ133 / AJ126 engine seems to be a little noisy, if supercharger has been replaced with new or good quality refurbished then I would suggest taking to a tech who has experience / training on this engine.

My wild guess would be check for direct injection pump as it makes noise that can be similar to tappet noise.

There's a technical bulletin (TSB) regarding noisy injection pump.
Will attach when I find it
Got the TSB from this forum

If by direct injection pump, you mean the mechanical fuel pump on either side of the engine, then I replaced that on the side of the engine that is making the noise, at the same time as I did the SC, just in case (it was only a couple of hundred bucks, so worth a try)... I read about that as well....

SC is brand new and is no longer making the 'Thock' noise that was contributing to the melee!

I mean maybe it is me being super picky, but the noise is noticeable as far as I am concerned.....

Kirk Morey 03-11-2019 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by ss23 (Post 2038140)
Ouch, that really sucks Kirk. I had tappets damage due to one of our local "tuners" work over here. Why don't you PM me your contact number and I'll see if I can help?

Hi SS

I will do, going out of town on business tomorrow so I will do it when I get back..

Did they have to take out your engine to fix it?

ss23 03-11-2019 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kirk Morey (Post 2038154)
Hi SS

I will do, going out of town on business tomorrow so I will do it when I get back..

Did they have to take out your engine to fix it?

They had the car for around 2-3 weeks so they must have done, will provide you with all the details when we get a chance to speak/WhatsApp

SinF 03-12-2019 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by ss23 (Post 2038140)
I had tappets damage due to one of our local "tuners" work over here.

This forum is too relaxed about tuning. Could you share your story so it can be used to warn others? Post it in this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...tuning-206030/

XJ8JR 03-12-2019 10:03 AM

I didn't know tappet noise could be a problem on these modern engines. They were a big problem on the old 4.2 inline six engines back in the day. They required a stake-down kit to keep them from popping out. The engine sounded like a really loud sewing machine when they were on their way out.

SinF 03-12-2019 10:09 AM

F-type engine is naturally loud/ticking. At least mine was from new.

I haven't heard about another case of tappets damage that wasn't linked to a cause (i.e. tune).

fujicoupe 03-12-2019 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by XJ8JR (Post 2038702)
I didn't know tappet noise could be a problem on these modern engines. They were a big problem on the old 4.2 inline six engines back in the day. They required a stake-down kit to keep them from popping out. The engine sounded like a really loud sewing machine when they were on their way out.

Been there, done that. I installed what was then called a Tappet Hold Down Kit on my 4.2 inline six, 1985 XJ6. It was a fairly simple DIY process on that engine. I can't imagine even attempting to do anything similar to the newer V6 or V8.

Queen and Country 03-12-2019 11:00 AM

Click & Clack the Tappet brothers. God I miss them.
There is a garage that specializes in big tappet jobs.
In fact every job they have had lately is coincidentally top rebuild.
Dewey Cheatem & Howe

OzXFR 03-12-2019 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by SinF (Post 2038706)
F-type engine is naturally loud/ticking. At least mine was from new.

I haven't heard about another case of tappets damage that wasn't linked to a cause (i.e. tune).

Yep, they are all a bit rattly.
A combination of direct injection high fuel pressure injector "tick", the high pressure fuel pumps themselves and some but not all having a slightly rattly supercharger (coupler and/or tensioner). I have never heard of the classic old time tappet noise being a problem on these engines.

Stohlen 03-12-2019 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kirk Morey (Post 2038106)
Has anybody had any tappet problems? Is what they are telling me right? How did you fix it? Should I go get a 2nd, and/or 3rd opinion?

I had a tappet crack and split in half on one of the exhaust valves on the passenger side bank of my 5.0L. I'm convinced the issue occurred as a result of the engine overheating, due to a bad radiator fan that failed internally. After that event, and getting the fan fixed, my engine developed a ticking noise that my local dealer initially diagnosed as a bad supercharger. Then, after replacing the entire supercharger under warranty, the ticking remained and was immediately evident. At that point the dealer dug deeper and found the cracked tappet. This had damaged the valve and camshaft on that bank. The repair was an engine out service, which involved replacing the valves, tappets, exhaust camshaft and a load of seals, bolts, etc. This was under warranty for me, but I imagine it was several thousand dollars worth of work.

The forum is a relatively small sample size; so if I had this issue it wouldn't surprise me if there were enough out there to consider this "common". Something to note as well, my car was tuned before this failure, and the dealer did the repair work regardless.

heuristik 03-18-2019 05:01 PM

Hey Stohlen, would you mind listening to the engine on my XKR in this video to see if it sounds similar to what you're describing? My car also overheated and I've heard similar prognoses from the repair shops:

Stohlen 03-18-2019 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by heuristik (Post 2041786)
Hey Stohlen, would you mind listening to the engine on my XKR in this video to see if it sounds similar to what you're describing? My car also overheated and I've heard similar prognoses from the repair shops:

Mine was a light (much less noticeable) ticking noise that was of course RPM dependent. The dealership replaced the supercharger on the first go around, and considered the car "fixed" as their technician didn't hear anything on his test drive. I assume that was just because he doesn't drive V8 F-types regularly, but its a good example of how subtle my noise was. Yours seems much more severe and almost inconsistent; could be something else, but still bad.

RGPV6S 03-19-2019 04:33 PM

I had a car with a broken exhaust manifold bolt that had a really bad tickling noise. At first thought it was a bad lifter or bearing because its frequency went up and down with engine rpm.

Could this be the source of your ticking noise?

Kirk Morey 06-11-2020 07:32 AM

Long story short, the 'Brand New' replacement SC that I bought ended up being a knackered refurb (looked brand new from the outside, was in proper new JLR box), sooo, I put my old one back on and got my rattle back..

I am going to replace the coupler (the nose is new) and was wondering if anybody had bought one of these new 'Solid' ones?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine...97.m4902.l9144

They are supposed to be genuine OEM from Eaton, but as above, I have been down that road before....

Or should I stick to the original?

SinF 06-11-2020 07:40 AM

Cadillacs had similar issue with SC couplers, only few years back. Reading up on this will allow you to form opinion on solid vs. updated design.

My understanding is that if you do a lot of WOT to braking transitions (i.e. track use) you might not want a solid coupler.