F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things I dislike about the F-Type

Old 05-09-2019, 12:37 PM
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

Ive had my car 16 V6S awd convertible for 6 months and here is my list of downfalls.

Reliability issues, have had quite a few and its annoying to drop the car off every couple of weeks

Slow and unrev matched downshifts (zf8) upshifts are good, downshifts are crap in manual, my q50 redsport which had a terrible auto, but awesome rev matched downshifts.
I know the ZF8 can be tuned properly, drive my buddies m5 with it all the time.

Slow infotainment ( not the end of the world) but apple car play would be nice

Sometimes at low speeds if you punch it, car sounds nasty, in a bad way, way too much rasp (car is already up to temp), after a while it gets better... and on the Highway sounds awesome, top down or up.

Stupid traction control, sometimes when there is a little bump or imperfection it will engage TC and make the car hesitate to accelerate, or just not accelerate at all for a few seconds at time, this can be dangerous in the wrong situation but most of the time just annoying and can be fixed by keeping the Car in Trac DSC

Interior Build quality. with the valves open, and windows and top up, always get a rattle or buzzing, and some of the materials feel cheap, the cupholder cover is falling apart, and a lot of stuff isn't what I expect out of a $100,000 car

The driver assist features do not work, Yes i've made sure all the settings are on, but the front collision warning or prevention has only warned me once, and the Blind spot monitor isn't always correct, I don't rely on these features but its an option, and it should work better.

No real dipstick!

Would like more gauges to see whats going on internally.

Overall awesome fun car, but lacking in a lot of area's too, especially at the price point. I know a few issues here have been addressed in newer models, but some have yet to be fixed.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:29 PM
Received 156 Likes on 85 Posts

Lance- Thanks for that link on the Mini Traffic Light viewer. I just ordered one for my F-Type. Not a HUGE problem, but something I have noticed as well.

Overall the car is fantastic, but there are a few issues where they could improve IMHO.

1)- Navigation/Infotainment system- Mine is a 2016 and it is totally inferior to other, less expensive cars. Navigating the navigation system is so aggravating when driving that I often resort to using my iPhone. Trying to zoom while driving is dangerous. My wife's 2014 BMW iDrive is vastly superior. I know the new systems are much better, but still inferior as compared to BMW's iDrive.

2)- Suspension- Although I usually drive in Dynamic mode, I would appreciate a "soft" setting for when there are rough sections of road, or when my wife is hungover . The Corvette's Magnetorheological suspension has a wider range of options... although GM hold the patent on this, many other makes pay a royalty to use it, including Acura, Ferrari and Lamborghini.

3)- Lack of / expensive aftermarket parts- This is getting better, but the aftermarket parts available for the F-Type (and all Jags) are lacking, and very expensive.

4)- Silly sun visors. I recall joking about the V8 Vantage having small visors. I didn't notice the F-Types were just as bad until after I bought the car. Wouldn't have made a difference, but I would think there is a market for small flip-down extensions for these.

5)- Backup camera- This works, but the resolution is worse than our other cars. Some places I really can't depend on it to avoid hitting pedestrians or cars while backing... maybe this has improved on more recent years?

6)- Heating/Cooling- When on road trips I have noticed the heater will go hot, then cold, then hot... rather than maintaining a constant temp. I have tried many different settings, including the "auto", but it still cycles back and forth. Minor irritation, but still an irritation.

Having mentioned these minor issues, I truly LOVE the car. The styling, the sounds, the performance, the ample storage... so many things that place this car on top.
I looked at many others before buying the F-Type R, and a little over a year later, I feel even stronger that I made the right choice.

I am also impressed at how far quality and convenience has progressed for cars such as these. It used to be you would be cooked, couldn't see behind you, and just hoped the car wouldn't die or catch on fire.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 07:16 PM
Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

Being mistaken for a drug dealer

Old 05-09-2019, 08:23 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 313FType
Hmmm. . Maybe it's just me but I've driven/owned different coupes/sports cars and never recall experiencing that. Not even in the Corvette.
Really? That's been a problem in every low-slung sports car I've driven. In my Aston, I practically had to climb up on the dash to see a light if I was first in line.

Mahjik (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 08:26 PM
Received 156 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
Being mistaken for a drug dealer
LOL- The Jag is a far step away from my last daily driver, as far as a drug dealer ride

Burt Gummer (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 08:27 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

The sun visor is really the only thing that I really don't like, but that's made worse by the fact that I drive south for work in the morning and home north in the afternoon, so the sun is always on my face both ways. If I didn't have a good tint, I might have sold the car for this reason alone.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

The electronics do suck, but the Bluetooth and its hands off interaction, instant connectivity, is great. I just use my mobile for everything. Waze, Spotify the two most used apps. Rarely, Waze loses its mind and it is nice to have the Jag's Nav as a backup. My next phone will be the Note 10 Pro with its crazy-nice 6.7" screen so I don't really feel I am missing out on too much.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 05-10-2019 at 12:14 AM.
Tork Monster (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 01:35 AM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 313FType
I actually test drove a 4C when I was cross shopping the F-Type. Would be a nice car to have if it was 20k lol
Can't we all just get along?

The following 6 users liked this post by Friscorays:
313FType (05-14-2019), Burt Gummer (05-10-2019), Jaguar1611 (05-10-2019), Llama (05-10-2019), MidLifeinTN (05-11-2019), Tork Monster (05-10-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-10-2019, 02:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 209 Likes on 186 Posts

+ whatever on sun visor! It's over 5 years old and I'm getting restless but haven't really ben blown away by any thing new, at least not in my price range. A DB11 conv would be nice or a AMG GT conv.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) Automatic turning off of dynamic mode
2) "Press OK to clear" message on instrument cluster overwrites whatever the actual warning/info was
3) Different audio DSP mode when top down
4) Can't drive with door open before selecting R/D even though I JUST selected R/D

Old 05-10-2019, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 953 Likes on 714 Posts

OK, if we're gonna have a gripe session: I expected rearward visibility to be poor, but forward is too. The center mirror makes a huge blind spot for uphill right-handers, such as I see every single day of commuting, and the A-pillars are wide enough to obscure two pedestrians when I'm at a four-way stop. I find myself doing a boxer's bob-and-weave to make sure I don't run over someone.

Other than that, I'm happy. I rarely use the sat-nav and infotainment is either satellite radio or a USB drive with a few thousand songs. That does remind me of a minor grip though. The microphone for hands-free phone is right next to the thing that makes the turn signal noise. I rarely use it, but people on the other end of the conversation comment. I guess it's pretty loud for them.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:03 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjohnt
A lot of people complaining about the infotainment system, but I don't mind it. I use google maps on my phone for navigation and I'd rather listen to the exhaust than the radio.

Only complaint about this car that can be fixed with money is the stock P-Zero tires. They are terrible. I can't justify switching good tires at this time, but waiting patiently until I can switch to Michelins
+1

Old 05-11-2019, 11:34 AM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

My only dislike is the lack of room. I like to put my seat back a bit but I sacrifice legroom if I do that. I'm 5-11 but that's the trade-off for such a great car. Not a big deal