F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tow hooks

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 11:06 PM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

If you really want it have someone machine the original to work with the new end. Not much to it actually.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by usgpru27
If you really want it have someone machine the original to work with the new end. Not much to it actually.
Good idea.

The following users liked this post:
usgpru27 (01-20-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member

The vendor is trying to resolve the problem by sending me a properly threaded shaft piece. If they are able to do that, I'll ask them to either refer me to the right listing or to create a new listing that I can refer to on this site.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Carbuff2 (01-22-2019), Sparky H (03-21-2021)
Old 02-03-2019, 04:46 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The vendor is trying to resolve the problem by sending me a properly threaded shaft piece. If they are able to do that, I'll ask them to either refer me to the right listing or to create a new listing that I can refer to on this site.
Heard back from them yet? I'd be interested as well if they manage to produce one.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jlsthlm
Heard back from them yet? I'd be interested as well if they manage to produce one.
Yep. They gave me a full refund and let me keep the hook. My plan is to lop the eye off the OEM hook and have a 12mm-1.75 thread cut on that end to accept the anodized eye from the one I got on eBay. I’ll need to cut the hole in the P7 surround first to measure the exact length I’ll need.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:43 AM
SVR
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

These guys will make one with the appropriate measurements: https://zl1addons.com/collections/tow-hooks

Old 02-04-2019, 08:42 AM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SVR
These guys will make one with the appropriate measurements: https://zl1addons.com/collections/tow-hooks
I've been emailing back and forth with them for a couple of months. Poor communicators....

Old 04-22-2020, 05:35 PM

Hi, reviving this thread as I am looking for more "racing style" tow hooks (building a race car after all, estimating a 0.1 s laptime gain from having appropriately styled tow hooks).

I e-mailed with zl1addons, but it seems they never quite figured out how to make F-Type tow hooks, I quote the reply below:

Hey Jonas,

I know we made a few different setups, but never got final verification nor did we know what models they would fit. Overall its been one of those items that has never seen the finish line. If you know the thread size and pitch you can use our custom tow hook offering.

https://zl1addons.com/collections/tow-hooks/products/zl1-addons-custom-premium-tow-hook

Thanks

ZL1addons Team

www.zl1addons.com

Phone: 1(858)527-8727 (M-F 7:30AM-1:30PM PT)

IG: @zl1addons
So basically two questions:

1. Has anyone figured out how/ where to buy real, working, heavy duty racing tow hooks that fit the F-Type?
2. If not, does anyone know the correct thread so I can order custom made ones from zl1addons?

@Unhingd Any luck on your side?

Thanks a lot!

Old 04-22-2020, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

Hi, reviving this thread as I am looking for more "racing style" tow hooks (building a race car after all, estimating a 0.1 s laptime gain from having appropriately styled tow hooks).

I e-mailed with zl1addons, but it seems they never quite figured out how to make F-Type tow hooks, I quote the reply below:

So basically two questions:

1. Has anyone figured out how/ where to buy real, working, heavy duty racing tow hooks that fit the F-Type?
2. If not, does anyone know the correct thread so I can order custom made ones from zl1addons?

@Unhingd Any luck on your side?

Thanks a lot!
YES.
Extreme Inline Store offers a tow Mount license plate adaptor with the correct reverse thread. https://www.ebay.com/itm/14-2018-For...IAAOSw2GlZ1~kD

The end if the mounting rod will need to be drilled and tapped to accept a threaded rod to accept the eye of your choice. I will be taking it to the machine shop this week to get that done.

The black rod does a great job of finishing off the half circle I had to grind into the P7 surround. (No mod needed on the standard crossbar).

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-22-2020 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:12 PM

YES.
Extreme Inline Store offers a tow Mount license plate adaptor with the correct reverse thread.
The end if the mounting rod will need to be drilled and tapped to accept a threaded rod to accept the eye of your choice. I will be taking it to the machine shop this week to get that done.

The black rod does a great job of finishing off the half circle I had to grind into the P7 surround. (No mod needed on the standard crossbar).
OK, that looks like one workable solution. My challenge is that I'm trying to order stuff for my car in Sweden while being in Japan, so I prefer stuff that arrives ready for assembly. I'll put some effort into trying to get the tow hooks fully made somewhere, but it is good to know that there is an alternative solution.

One observation though: the thread "length" looks a little shorter than on the OEM tow hook? Maybe it is long enough? No risk for it coming off if you get towed?

EDIT: What is the length of the shaft you plan on using? Is it a good length for both front and rear tow hook locations?

Last edited by jlsthlm; 04-22-2020 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:15 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Lance, that kit is very similar to what I put on the car so I can attach the front plate for annual state inspection, then it comes off. I keep it in the glovebox with the front plate.

Took a while to figure out the reverse thread...

Old 04-23-2020, 06:06 PM

Hmm guys.

According to this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...ements-193439/ our tow hooks are a M18x2.5 reverse thread.

Just got this reply from zl1addons.com:

Our Tesla setup is a 18x2.5 reverse thread

Thanks

ZL1addons Team

www.zl1addons.com

Phone: 1(858)527-8727 (M-F 7:30AM-1:30PM PT)

IG: @zl1addons
Can anyone confirm that the F-Type really uses M18x2.5 left-hand thread? If so, I will order one.

Last edited by jlsthlm; 04-23-2020 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 04:34 AM
Veteran Member

Hmm guys.

According to this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...ements-193439/ our tow hooks are a M18x2.5 reverse thread.

Just got this reply from zl1addons.com:

Can anyone confirm that the F-Type really uses M18x2.5 left-hand thread? If so, I will order one.
Oz measured out an M18x2.5. I’m reading an M20x2.5.
Actual threads have a 19.17mm diameter, but are squared off a bit taking the nominal thread diameter to 20mm.

Old 04-25-2020, 05:08 AM

Oz measured out an M18x2.5. I’m reading an M20x2.5.
Actual threads have a 19.17mm diameter, but are squared off a bit taking the nominal thread diameter to 20mm.
Ah, thank you. I almost ordered the Tesla tow hook.

Could I possibly ask if you could give me the shaft length and thread length as well? I'd be happy to order the zl1addons custom tow hook then and I can feed back how it fits.

Old 04-25-2020, 05:20 AM
Veteran Member

Ah, thank you. I almost ordered the Tesla tow hook.

Could I possibly ask if you could give me the shaft length and thread length as well? I'd be happy to order the zl1addons custom tow hook then and I can feed back how it fits.
You should be able to get that from your own OEM hook, unless you are talking about the one I’m getting fabricated.
Keep in mind, none of these aluminum show hooks should be used to tow/retrieve the car as they will not handle the load. They need to be removed and the OEM hook then should be used.

Old 04-25-2020, 05:23 AM

You should be able to get that from your own OEM hook, unless you are talking about the one I’m getting fabricated.
Keep in mind, none of these aluminum show hooks should be used to tow/retrieve the car as they will not handle the load. They need to be removed and the OEM hook then should be used.
My car is in the process of being re-registered in Sweden (I'm importing it from Germany), and I am also physically in Japan. As such, I cannot measure the OEM hook.

The zl1addons hook should be plently fine to be towed in. I have used tow hooks of the same type on my previous track car and been towed several times in it without any issue.

Old 04-25-2020, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member

My car is in the process of being re-registered in Sweden (I'm importing it from Germany), and I am also physically in Japan. As such, I cannot measure the OEM hook.

The zl1addons hook should be plently fine to be towed in. I have used tow hooks of the same type on my previous track car and been towed several times in it without any issue.
I just did some research on the materials they use. You are correct that their hooks are quite adequate for real towing. I sent them a request earlier today to see if they have any hooks with a reverse M20x2.5 thread.

OEM tow hook:
The threaded section is 35mm long and the shaft from he threaded section to the bottom of the eye is 135mm. Outer circumference of the eye is 55mm. Total length: 225mm.

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-25-2020 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:54 PM
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

So I used to be in an owner in a company that sold license plate relocators. I was actually one designing all the parts and trying to figure out all the different threads. What the original towhook probably uses is something called a knuckle thread. DIN 405. The thread cross section looks like a sine wave. One of the few threads that has a metric outside (major diameter) call out with a threads per inch call out. I believe most use this thread because it is very forgiving to get it started and screwed into place,

Can you have something cut with a standard V groove thread that will fit into the receptacle, yes. But you have to have it custom machined. A machine shop provided parts to us like this one time instead of the rounded knuckle threads. I was not happy but they fit.

The following 2 users liked this post by wetwolf:
DJS (04-25-2020), Unhingd (04-25-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by wetwolf
So I used to be in an owner in a company that sold license plate relocators. I was actually one designing all the parts and trying to figure out all the different threads. What the original towhook probably uses is something called a knuckle thread. DIN 405. The thread cross section looks like a sine wave. One of the few threads that has a metric outside (major diameter) call out with a threads per inch call out. I believe most use this thread because it is very forgiving to get it started and screwed into place,

Can you have something cut with a standard V groove thread that will fit into the receptacle, yes. But you have to have it custom machined. A machine shop provided parts to us like this one time instead of the rounded knuckle threads. I was not happy but they fit.
Yes, I believe you have accurately described the OEM thread.

Old 04-25-2020, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

I just did some research on the materials they use. You are correct that their hooks are quite adequate for real towing. I sent them a request earlier today to see if they have any hooks with a reverse M20x2.5 thread.
I have a zl1addons tow hook for my 4C and it's actually a better quality than the ones on my race car. They are legit products.

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (04-25-2020)

Quick Reply: tow hooks