Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 F-Type modding?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 03:27 PM
Received 4,180 Likes on 3,643 Posts

let's keep it civil,

personal attacks won't be tolerated

commercial links/soliciting business is for sponsors. If anyone wishes to be a sponsor, the mods or admin can put them in touch with the right people.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 03:29 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

where were the personal attacks? Did I miss that post?

Old 01-06-2018, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

I think that thread has been deleted...

Old 01-06-2018, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by watson6505
Speaking of wasted power, I changed insurance carriers and they recommended these plug in driving recorders for better rates. Anyone used them in their Ftypes or any other cars?
Originally Posted by Stohlen
Dont do it! Its a trap.
No only is it a trap, but it will prevent your vehicle electronics from going to sleep and your battery will run down. There's an issue (a defect, in my opinion) where the battery module needs to be reset after connecting a device to the OBD port.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by watson6505
my incremental comment was purely based upon the fact that he already had the tune and is now adding the pulley. So I assumed approx half of the 70 horses seemed a little more incremental than the whole shebang. Meaning, he is probably used to the tunes boost in performance by now and Im wondering how adding the pulley after being accustom to the tune will feel.

Combined 70hp is huge and I cant wait to do it myself....but my wife did ask me a fair question last night, "what roads around here can you even use the horsepower/speed the car has now"

Speaking of wasted power, I changed insurance carriers and they recommended these plug in driving recorders for better rates. Anyone used them in their Ftypes or any other cars?
My experience on the V6S was that the incremental power increase from a tune to pulley&tune felt far greater than going from OEM to the tune alone. Even though the incremental hp increases are the same, the pulley offers a bigger bump in torque.

As lizzardo has mentioned, plugging the logger into the OBD port might keep the car awake and prevent you from parking for a day or two without draining the battery.

Last edited by Unhingd; 01-06-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:36 PM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

I fell victim of the OBDII plug battery drain. I discussed the issue with an engineer at JLR corporate and was informed that if I plugged in anything that is self powered, there would be no issue. I tried it and indeed it was true. Most scanners use the OBDII port for power too. I used a Bluetooth dongle with Torque and that clearly resulted in battery drain.

When you visit the dealership, their devices use an AC adapter, the emissions machines also connect to the OBDII port but are self powered and there is no issue.

To further this, I got into a major pickle with BMW when I "coded" my car (enabled features etc) and I was told that somewhere on the manual, it says that it's reserved for the exclusive use of BMW service centers (as I recall, they are there for any service provider not just them, obviously the state would violate that with emission testing...). One service advisor at Jaguar used the same BS.

What I can guess is that there must be some handshake between any connected OBDII device and some sort of command to "log out" needed to cut off the power.

The following users liked this post:
DJS (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 01:52 AM
Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Default ftype

Originally Posted by NigelW
Did I read somewhere that the AJ126 engine was/is designed and/or built by Ford?

I also recall reading JLR was going to stop having Ford build them circa 2020, or perhaps it was just not at the current plant.

Or is there some chance the V6/8 will go away for that I4 only model. That actually felt odd just typing it.

Don't want to go off on much of a tangent.... but that is what thought surfaced.
Generally, the IP has been Ford's, but the line gets blended around the JLR/Aston ownership dates.
Manufacturing of the engine itself for the V6 variants and higher I believe were retained by Jaguar nameplated facilities.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:03 AM
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
My experience on the V6S was that the incremental power increase from a tune to pulley&tune felt far greater than going from OEM to the tune alone. Even though the incremental hp increases are the same, the pulley offers a bigger bump in torque.

As lizzardo has mentioned, plugging the logger into the OBD port might keep the car awake and prevent you from parking for a day or two without draining the battery.
Agree with this. I had the tune alone for a bit, perhaps a couple weeks before I put the pulley on. The tune was great, however the pulley is where the punch is. I did this at around 10K, couldn't wait for the warranty to expire.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:53 AM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
......The tune/pulley is not an incremental increase, but a massive increase. For the V6S , it's 70 more horses and 90 more lb-ft of torque. It changes the entire character of the car.
I’ve been following the threads on this subject and am confused as to why Jaguar didn’t actually do this themselves. Surely it would be at no cost and would give a more powerful car?
Is it that the suspension and brakes etc would also need to be beefed up, or the engine isn’t really up to it?
Sorry if this is a dumb post, I’m just curious.
Should add that I’ll be keeping my car as stock but intrigued at the upgrades.
Please be gentle with any replies

Old 01-07-2018, 12:09 PM
Received 822 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by malbec
I’ve been following the threads on this subject and am confused as to why Jaguar didn’t actually do this themselves. Surely it would be at no cost and would give a more powerful car?
Is it that the suspension and brakes etc would also need to be beefed up, or the engine isn’t really up to it?
Sorry if this is a dumb post, I’m just curious.
Should add that I’ll be keeping my car as stock but intrigued at the upgrades.
Please be gentle with any replies
One thing to bear in mind is that engine & drivetrain is usually one of the largest development costs for a vehicle manufacturer. Their investment needs to be spread across multiple model years & updates and to allow for newer models with more power drip-fed into the product line to continue to drive sales.

Hence why you have a 340BHP base, 380BHP and then 400BHP variants of the V6. The pulley size may be next, although there are other considerations.

Manufacturers have to take into account all sorts of restrictions & regulations like emissions, varying fuel quality all over the world and risk profile across their entire product line.

If you're interested in some upgrades, we have a Distributor for our products in the UK, David Appleby Engineering. They are also an AMR Race Team and soon to be FType Gt4!

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 01-07-2018, 12:20 PM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

Stuart thank you for your reply. I get the reason for the variants but it seems like such a simple mod.
I’ve no wish to put you out of business! Yes I am aware of the UK link but I enjoy the car just as it is although if your mod had been available at manufacture I’d have liked that.
I wish you continued success with the guys on here. Steve.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by malbec
I get the reason for the variants but it seems like such a simple mod.
Just as Stuart said, planned obsolescence. It encourages people who aren't as educated or willing to modify to sell their 14, 15, 16 model year and buy a new car when a more powerful 17, 18, 19 model year variant comes out.

My company does this all the time with horsepower/torque. Its basically standard operating procedure.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

I'm not sure that planned obsolescence is the whole story. When Porsche came out with the Cayman they deliberately did not make a variant with the most powerful engine. The 911 is the flagship and needs to maintain its place. If the V6 were too close in price and performance to the V8, fewer would cough up the extra for the V8.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I'm not sure that planned obsolescence is the whole story. When Porsche came out with the Cayman they deliberately did not make a variant with the most powerful engine. The 911 is the flagship and needs to maintain its place. If the V6 were too close in price and performance to the V8, fewer would cough up the extra for the V8.
Obviously model to model and engine to engine is a different story, but regarding an individual engine this is absolutely a thing. Granted Jaguar has gone engine crazy with this platform of late, so its getting more and more difficult to overlap; but they've shown plenty of evidence of planned obsolescence over the last few years; 495PS -> 550PS -> 575PS... don't be surprised if you see a 600PS before the generation is up.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:25 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Remember that these cars are supercharged. Upgrading the pulley means more boost across the whole RPM band. Completely different approach from a turbocharged car.

Notes:

Downpipes: Moderate increase, mostly from a reduced cat density.
Headers: Minimal increase, not worth the money (VelocityAP study)
Intercooler: Water to air, completely unproven. No one has tried to my knoweldge.
Fuel Injectors: We haven't maxed out the stock ones yet.
Carbon Fiber Driveshaft: You're gonna have to custom make this. Lightweight wheels are popular tho.
Hey can you please tell me how fuel injectors are monitored or what parameters are determined to see if we need injector upgrades? I am thinking about getting the bigger injectors from the Rs, thanks Stohlen

Also, OT did you end up getting a carbon fiber driveshaft? I've been trying to get one made for years

Old 04-15-2018, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest1
Hey can you please tell me how fuel injectors are monitored or what parameters are determined to see if we need injector upgrades? I am thinking about getting the bigger injectors from the Rs, thanks Stohlen

Also, OT did you end up getting a carbon fiber driveshaft? I've been trying to get one made for years
With 20 psi boost, the V6 is still not running lean, so bigger injectors will be of no benefit.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

I was never planning to. They are quite expensive, but it is an option if you're dedicated enough to the platform.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:55 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Aww I see thanks Unhinged and Stolen

Are you guys interested in getting a carbon fiber driveshaft? If we can get like 10 or 20 people interested maybe we can find someone reputable to build it for us?

Old 04-15-2018, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

Aww I see thanks Unhinged and Stolen

Are you guys interested in getting a carbon fiber driveshaft? If we can get like 10 or 20 people interested maybe we can find someone reputable to build it for us?
I'm sure the interest is out there; but keep in mind the AWD and RWD variants have different driveshaft lengths, with the AWDs having 2 of them.

Old 04-15-2018, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

[QUOTE=NigelW;1820155]Did I read somewhere that the AJ126 engine was/is designed and/or built by Ford?
QUOTE]

The engines were designed/engineered by Jaguar but built in the Ford engine plant.