Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   V6S exhaust mods (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/v6s-exhaust-mods-220387/)

BruceTheQuail 07-11-2019 06:24 PM

V6S exhaust mods

A little confession if it isnt already obvious - I am not very mechanically inclined, so please be gentle.

The issue
I love a deep V8 - type staccato rumble. More like the 4.2 engine had than the howl of the 5.0, though I do like the 5.0 as well. Otherwise I am spectacularly happy with my car, dont need it to go any faster, perfect colour for me, looks amazing.

Options
So the solution is to buy a V8 Vantage manual (approx 2016) which would have what I think is the ideal engine note, or a F Type R or SVR (also approx 2016 - 2017). Discounted the V8 Vantage for a few reasons (dated tech, prefer the looks of the F Type, f type better all round package). That leaves either buying the R or SVR (which would mean getting a car with extra performance I dont need, but noise I do) or modding the exhaust in mine to get a deeper, meatier note.

So...
I have seen a few things that people have done - the quad exhaust from VAP, 200 cell cats, eventuri intake - do any of those actually add depth the the exhaust note?

Explanation for odd words
I've used words like staccato, deep, meaty. The clip below is what I mean. I expect that it isnt achievable in the V6 but it is worth posting to see thoughts. Thanks!

lizzardo 07-11-2019 07:31 PM

I recall that Lance noted the V8 muffler on his V6 had a deeper tone. I'm sure he'll chime in with more accurate details.

Holy F type 07-11-2019 08:34 PM

headers + cats made it sound muscly

BruceTheQuail 07-11-2019 09:21 PM

Cheers, and is there a fix for the fault code when the cats are replaced?

OzXFR 07-11-2019 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail (Post 2097618)
Cheers, and is there a fix for the fault code when the cats are replaced?

Yes, but it's part and parcel of a VAP tune.

Holy F type 07-11-2019 10:19 PM

you lose a lot of the original tone and it becomes LOUD so prepare for that :)

BruceTheQuail 07-12-2019 12:10 AM

Sweet, where did you get your's from?

Unhingd 07-12-2019 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by lizzardo (Post 2097584)
I recall that Lance noted the V8 muffler on his V6 had a deeper tone. I'm sure he'll chime in with more accurate details.

The VAP V8 muffler definitely gives the V6 a deeper tone, yet maintains the exotic note of the V6. Plenty of volume with the valves open or closed. The fireworks on decel or upshift are over the top unless the valves are closed.
The 200 cell downcats in the V6 will result in severe raspiness destroying the melodic resonance of the V6.

BruceTheQuail 07-12-2019 07:44 AM

Perfect, so V8 muffler, leave the cats alone. I dont like the raspiness. And I get quad exhausts which I have to say I really like. Do you have tips on where to get the diffuser?

Unhingd 07-12-2019 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail (Post 2097784)
Perfect, so V8 muffler, leave the cats alone. I dont like the raspiness. And I get quad exhausts which I have to say I really like. Do you have tips on where to get the diffuser?

Keep an eye on ebay and also the "Market Place" sub-forum on this Jag forum. You can also find a an OEM V8 muffler that way as well.

Jaggyx 07-12-2019 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2097884)
Keep an eye on ebay and also the "Market Place" sub-forum on this Jag forum. You can also find a an OEM V8 muffler that way as well.

I have an OEM V8 muffler on my car and it's made it incredibly raspy. I wouldn't advise anyone looking for a deep tone to go the OEM route.

Unhingd 07-12-2019 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jaggyx (Post 2097897)
I have an OEM V8 muffler on my car and it's made it incredibly raspy. I wouldn't advise anyone looking for a deep tone to go the OEM route.

Good to know. VAP is the way to go then.

Jaggyx 07-12-2019 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2097931)
Good to know. VAP is the way to go then.

It's sounds to be the better option. But, $1,895 for a muffler, just a muffler, is incredibly overpriced.

I'd be more fruitful to pursue making a custom exhaust via a muffler shop in my opinion. I just don't know what muffler to work with. Bending tubes and welding is the easy part, but I'm not sure if running a straight through magnaflow style muffler would give me the deeper sound I'm (we're) looking for?

BruceTheQuail 07-12-2019 04:22 PM

So gentlemen, is it just the back section that I am after, in "supersport" (lol) Jaguar F-Type Sport Exhaust SuperSport Sound Level. There seems to be a choice of "touring" "sport" and "supersport" with supersport being the most agro - unhingd do you know which one yours is?

I buy this section and then that will fit to the V6S, correct?

Jaggyx 07-12-2019 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail (Post 2098010)
So gentlemen, is it just the back section that I am after, in "supersport" (lol) Jaguar F-Type Sport Exhaust SuperSport Sound Level. There seems to be a choice of "touring" "sport" and "supersport" with supersport being the most agro - unhingd do you know which one yours is?

Yes, just the back section and yes, it'll bolt right up. Does anyone happen to know what the internals of the VAP exhaust looks like?

In other words, is it just a resonated x-pipe muffler or is it actually baffled / custom designed for our cars? Below would be an easy install for our cars and could be had for about $800 all said and done with installation and a set of very high quality stainless steel tips.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...966c9ec647.jpg

BruceTheQuail 07-12-2019 05:18 PM

It will probably cost me $5K once exchange and shipping and the rear valance is taken into account, but that is a lot cheaper than what I was considering paying to go to an SVR essentially for more noise and quad tips!

Chawumba 07-12-2019 06:35 PM

I think you will be happy with the VAP exhaust, on my V8 it deepened the sound considerably - imagine it would do the same for the V6. Strongly advise getting the valved model so you can enjoy both personalities of the car, It is a hoot with valves open, but nice to have the option for more civility when you want it. Best part about the VAP system to me was that I hear just the right amount of exhaust rumble inside the cabin (soft or moderate depending on setting). For my tastes, the factory exhaust sounded great outside the car, but I couldn't hear much of anything inside.

This should be a simple do it yourself project - very straightforward install for exhaust, and Lance can coach you through the rear valance swap/install.

Unhingd 07-13-2019 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail (Post 2098010)

I have the valvetronic which is touring level with closed valves and supersport when open (straight pipes...doesn't even pass through any section of the muffler). I agree with Chawumba...get the valvetronic and the remote activation gear from VAP. There will be times standing next to the gendarme when you'll want to cool it on the sound level.
Also, don't spend the $1800 on a new OEM valence. Scout around the salvage yards across the country. You're bound to find a good used set of pieces for about $350-$400.

OzXFR 07-13-2019 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2098220)
I have the valvetronic which is touring level with closed valves and supersport when open (straight pipes...doesn't even pass through any section of the muffler). I agree with Chawumba...get the valvetronic and the remote activation gear from VAP. There will be times standing next to the gendarme when you'll want to cool it on the sound level.
Also, don't spend the $1800 on a new OEM valence. Scout around the salvage yards across the country. You're bound to find a good used set of pieces for about $350-$400.

Lance, don't forget we are talking Straya here where there are SFA F-Type Rs let alone used rear valance pieces for sale.
Bruce has more chance of finding a pet bunyip for sale on Fleabay!
So Bruce has three choices - get very very lucky and find what he needs second hand / used in Straya for a good price, import used from OS, or buy new.

BruceTheQuail 07-13-2019 09:24 PM

Cheers, yeah I figure either new or ebay/aliexpress. This one doeesnt look bad https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fibe...sAAOSwiehcuxNu. Others stick out too much, or have lights in them.

I've bought stuff for other cars on aliexpress and strangely enough the experience has been positive. A bonus with the cf item is that I dont have to get it painted to match. But I will price new as well (if is the sports design pack one).

Thanks for all comments, gentlemen. Particularly the touring tip. I take it that otherwise it is permanently loud.