Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   Viezu V-Switch from previous owner ok to use? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/viezu-v-switch-previous-owner-ok-use-220020/)

Jst2gtby 07-03-2019 06:16 PM

Viezu V-Switch from previous owner ok to use?

Hello everyone,
If someone is selling me their V-Switch with a tune for a base V6 F Type, can I use it on my V8S with a proper map for my application?

If so, how would I acquire a new map if I already have the hardware? And is there a cost to doing so, or would the manufacturer provide it for free?

Thanks to anyone that can assist in answering these questions.

David

Unhingd 07-03-2019 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jst2gtby (Post 2093778)
Hello everyone,
If someone is selling me their V-Switch with a tune for a base V6 F Type, can I use it on my V8S with a proper map for my application?

If so, how would I acquire a new map if I already have the hardware? And is there a cost to doing so, or would the manufacturer provide it for free?

Thanks to anyone that can assist in answering these questions.

David

You’d have to clear all tunes from the V-Switch, upload your OEM tune file to the V-Switch, send it off to a tuner who has V-Switch compatible software, get the new tune back from the tuner and then download to the car. Should save you about $250.

Jst2gtby 07-03-2019 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2093792)
Should save you about $250.[/SPOILER]

What do you mean? Will the company I send it to do it for free? I'm not sure if retailers charge for basic stage maps. 🤔

Unhingd 07-03-2019 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jst2gtby (Post 2093808)
What do you mean? Will the company I send it to do it for free? I'm not sure if retailers charge for basic stage maps. 🤔

The device is worth $250-500 and most tuners are charging $500-750 for any stage tune. Hence, the $1000 price tag for the tune & flash tool. Don’t pay more than $100 for a used flash tool.

Jst2gtby 07-03-2019 08:51 PM

Perfect! Thanks👍

stmcknig 07-04-2019 08:32 PM

Pretty sure all tunes are tied to the VIN number of the vehicle so as Lance says, all you're buying is a hardware box to transfer the tune. On the secondhand market they're virtually worthless - the tuners have to pay a reset fee I believe in order to clear the VIN so I doubt they'd offer much discount on a tune for your car. May as well just buy it "new".

Unhingd 07-05-2019 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by stmcknig (Post 2094251)
Pretty sure all tunes are tied to the VIN number of the vehicle so as Lance says, all you're buying is a hardware box to transfer the tune. On the secondhand market they're virtually worthless - the tuners have to pay a reset fee I believe in order to clear the VIN so I doubt they'd offer much discount on a tune for your car. May as well just buy it "new".

It just occurred to me that the V-Switch might already be matched to the car if the previous car owner was using for the car that the OP has just acquired. If so, the V-switch already has the correct OEM tune and just needs to acquire the desired tune to flash it to the car.

Itismejoshy 07-05-2019 07:56 AM

like stated above the V-Switch box itself is the cheap part, the tune is where the $$$ is. You can re-use the V-Switch box just will have to clear it and start over with your tuners instructions.

stmcknig 07-05-2019 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd (Post 2094337)
It just occurred to me that the V-Switch might already be matched to the car if the previous car owner was using for the car that the OP has just acquired. If so, the V-switch already has the correct OEM tune and just needs to acquire the desired tune to flash it to the car.

He said he'd been offered a V6 tune box and wanted to know if it would work on his V8S....so I doubt it's the same VIN match.

I even offered a couple of my no longer needed tune boxes back to the original tuner but they said by the time they paid for the VIN reset, it wasn't worth even mailing to them. So I trashed them,

stmcknig 07-05-2019 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Itismejoshy (Post 2094397)
like stated above the V-Switch box itself is the cheap part, the tune is where the $$$ is. You can re-use the V-Switch box just will have to clear it and start over with your tuners instructions.

My experience was once the box has been locked to a VIN, it costs money from the tune box manufacturer (not the tuner) to reset it back to factory. Which crazily enough makes it uneconomic. I was told it would probably only save me $25 on the tune cost if I supplied my own preowned box. As you say, the money is in the IP.