Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumper Damage Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumper Damage Recommendations

Hi All,
This forum has been a great resource and in fact, I recently had PPF installed on my 2015 F-type (full hood, rockers, bumper kit and mirrors) followed by ceramic coating. It came out great however wife drove the car a little too fast into our driveway the other day and result is shown below. There's damage to the right side of the bumper and has gone entirely through the film (not surprising). I'm trying to figure out best options to get it fixed. I'd love any suggestions from others although hoping none of you have had a similar experience.

1) Take it to a body shop to remove entire film, repair and repaint the entire front bumper (it's had some minor chips from prior owner) then have PPF reinstalled
2) Deal with it and have PPF installer (top installer btw for anyone who lives in Atlanta and needs a recommendation) trim off the film that is hanging off of it so it looks a little bit better
3) Buy a carbon fiber front bumper lip to protect form additional scratches and cover existing scratches (anyone had good experience with particular brands..they vary in price quite a bit)

I've been told that I could file an insurance claim and that above may be covered by I'm a bit weary re implications to insurance cost and whether that shows up on a carfax report as well. I'm leaning towards doing #2 temporarily and when it bothers me enough (which will be sooner than later) doing #3 ie finding a solid carbon fiber front bumper. Thoughts?

Old 07-10-2018, 01:25 PM
Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I would find a good paint mixer, clean up, repaint and wet sand. But I have spent a lot of time doing this. You could sand down and wrap it. Compare costs of used bumper in same spec, potentially.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:50 PM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

Either a driving ban for the wife or a divorce. (Just Joking.) Spend the money to fix it properly.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

I'm not sure if you have bumper repair guys in the states. Over here that kind of damage to anything plastic could be repaired for around $200 at your home. I know because I have had to use them for my daughter's car and my mother's and you cant tell it was damaged. This link describes what they do https://www.bumpertech.com.au/
The coating would have to be repaired by the coating guys which I think is usually some kind of unicorn semen that they will charge a bomb for, I'm not sure about the film.
As for the missus, give her a hug...

Old 07-10-2018, 03:05 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky fuze
Either a driving ban for the wife or a divorce. (Just Joking.) Spend the money to fix it properly.
You're already down to only 2 doors, U can't afford a divorce...

Just sell a pair of her shoes or purse to pay for fix...

Old 07-10-2018, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Ask your PPF shop for their opinion. It's not a high-visibility spot, so perhaps some cleanup followed by some touch-up paint, then re-filming that section would get you 98% back to where you were.

I wouldn't worry about Carfax. I don't see this as being likely to be reported, even if the shop is one that reports things. It's cosmetic only.

Old 07-10-2018, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the excellent recommendations! I'm not too upset with wife...she felt terrible which made me feel guilty lol.

Steve, your recommendation sounds solid particularly because the PPF guy is great. I'll go down that route with clean up and take it from there.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Remove the existing film, dentless paint repair to bump out the bump (not sure this works on plastic), buff scratches smooth, then carbon fiber film to cover the whole mess,

Old 07-11-2018, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

I would take it to the PPF shop and have the film removed from the affected areas, then I'd touch up the paint (or have them do it) and re-apply the clear as Steve suggested. It may not be perfect but it's a very small area on the bottom of the car that could be damaged again so spending a bunch of money to have the bumper repainted may not be prudent (depending how **** or frugal you are and the size of your bank account). I bet it doesn't look bad once the damaged clear is removed.

Dave

The following users liked this post:
Mardi (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
I would take it to the PPF shop and have the film removed from the affected areas, then I'd touch up the paint (or have them do it) and re-apply the clear as Steve suggested. It may not be perfect but it's a very small area on the bottom of the car that could be damaged again so spending a bunch of money to have the bumper repainted may not be prudent (depending how **** or frugal you are and the size of your bank account). I bet it doesn't look bad once the damaged clear is removed.

Dave
+1. The damage is not as bad as it looks.