F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does the manual tranny provide that you can't get in pure manual mode in auto?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by mshedden
The manual is ZF also I believe.
Yes, it is.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:31 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, it is.
Is the manual zf as good (relative to other manuals) as the auto zf is (relative to other autos)?

Last edited by lunagry; 11-21-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 209 Likes on 186 Posts

Today the auto is faster than any of us can shift, max performance with auto. But a stick in a sports car is fun! I always enjoyed it till knee said no more.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lunagry
Is the manual zf as good (relative to other manuals) as the auto zf is (relative to other autos)?
I don't know about the particular manual in the F-Type, but ZF is a highly respected manufacturer of both. I'd have to drive a manual F-Type to know for sure, and I will at some point.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:11 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by New2Jag
If you track your car or drive it infrequently, I can see the desire for a manual. If it's your daily driver and you want a manual, especially in a congested city like where I am - you're doing it to be different for being differents sake. Why on Earth would you want to sit in hour long traffic, bumper to bumper, with a manual?

Amen!
Sticks are fun, but not in traffic.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:34 AM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Why on earth would you want to sit in hour long traffic, bumper to bumper, with an automatic?

Originally Posted by New2Jag
If you track your car or drive it infrequently, I can see the desire for a manual. If it's your daily driver and you want a manual, especially in a congested city like where I am - you're doing it to be different for being differents sake. Why on Earth would you want to sit in hour long traffic, bumper to bumper, with a manual?

Old 11-22-2014, 09:52 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pragmatic
Why on earth would you want to sit in hour long traffic, bumper to bumper, with an automatic?
So only one legs and ankle hurts like hell after two hours.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

The answers of why one would prefer a manual, even in stop and go traffic are all here in this thread if you take the time to read carefully. If you can't understand them, you're probably of a young-ish age with little or no manual experience.

It's not worth wasting any more time trying to explain. If you don't get it, you just won't get it.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:56 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

According to the order guide posted in another thread here the manual box is apparently the ZF S6-45, which is also used in the BMW 335i, so one could imagine it would be similar in shift & clutch to the Beemer...

I don't know why they didn't take the S6-53 which was used in the S-Type diesel and the Land Rover Discovery 3, which is a stronger box according to ZF; S6-45 to 470Nm, S6-53 to 600Nm...

In the BMW the ratio's are:

1st, 4.11:1
2nd, 2.32:1
3rd, 1.54:1
4th, 1.18:1
5th, 1:1
6th, 0.85:1

Safe to assume that Jag will use the same ratio's

So when you compare it to the 6HP & 8HP automatics, it only has a single overdrive compared to double-overdrive, with the auto's having 0.667:1 as the top gear, the rpm will be lower at highway speeds, might have a bit to do with the difference in economy.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (11-22-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 08:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New here, first post.

I wasn't even considering the F-Type until this week when they announced it would be available with a Manual. I was all for ordering an M4 with a manual, but now maybe not.

I am one of those people that will only have 3 pedals in my sports car. I also convinced my brother in law to order his 991 C2S in manual and he loves it.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (11-22-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member

As a recovering BMW-holic who has consumed way too many of them, if you do go with the F-Type, I think you'll be amazed. In some sense, the F-Type has a "personality" that harkens back to things similar to what started the BMW-buzz in the car world many years ago, and definitely the Jaguar E-Type before that. To me, today's BMW's have become devoid of that special character and uniqueness.

The following 3 users liked this post by Foosh:
DuhCar (11-23-2014), jmfan (11-22-2014), Lovemonet (11-28-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 10:50 PM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

As a recovering BMW-holic who has consumed way too many of them, if you do go with the F-Type, I think you'll be amazed. In some sense, the F-Type has a "personality" that harkens back to things similar to what started the BMW-buzz in the car world many years ago, and definitely the Jaguar E-Type before that. To me, today's BMW's have become devoid of that special character and uniqueness.
+1

Old 11-23-2014, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

It's interesting how many people here use their Ftypes for commuting! In traffic!

Old 11-23-2014, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
It's interesting how many people here use their Ftypes for commuting! In traffic!
I will be (aside from bad weather). I'm buying it to drive it, not stare at it in my garage.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:58 AM

That's really good to hear. Don't get me wrong, I love my car even though its only a 328 xdrive with a manual. But lately BMW's designs haven't really done much for me. They're nice and all, but they're starting to seem a bit boring to be honest. I want something that's special, at least to me. I went and looked at the F-types yesterday and although I didn't drive one (snow and ice all over the place) I walked away wanting more. They had an Italian Racing Red Coupe R that I sat in that was still in delivery mode so only the driver's door would open and it felt awesome just to sit in it. Mine would be a summer only car but I'll use it for road trips in the summer so when I go back to look at it again I'm going to take my luggage to make sure it'll fit in the boot. How has the reliability been with the F-types? Anything big to watch out for? Any options that are a must? Also what's the age demographic like on it? I'm kind of young and I worry a little that driving a Jag would age me slightly?

Old 11-23-2014, 11:26 AM

I'm 51, driving since I was 18. The F Type is my first "automatic". And I'm not going to get the manual !

I intend to use the car daily. And when I want... I'll go into sports mode and use the gear lever (not the paddles) to play !

I cannot recall ever being so "bitten" by a car... my Porsche Boxter was nice and fun but I felt poeple did not respect the car... here it is amaising with the F Type!

Old 11-23-2014, 12:38 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DDS2015
That's really good to hear. Don't get me wrong, I love my car even though its only a 328 xdrive with a manual. But lately BMW's designs haven't really done much for me. They're nice and all, but they're starting to seem a bit boring to be honest. I want something that's special, at least to me. I went and looked at the F-types yesterday and although I didn't drive one (snow and ice all over the place) I walked away wanting more. They had an Italian Racing Red Coupe R that I sat in that was still in delivery mode so only the driver's door would open and it felt awesome just to sit in it. Mine would be a summer only car but I'll use it for road trips in the summer so when I go back to look at it again I'm going to take my luggage to make sure it'll fit in the boot. How has the reliability been with the F-types? Anything big to watch out for? Any options that are a must? Also what's the age demographic like on it? I'm kind of young and I worry a little that driving a Jag would age me slightly?
If you look at the stickies there's a section about known issues. I would say the car is solid. If you're only driving it in the summer the warranty will last 4 years. As far as age goes, as soon as you drive it, you won't care. The car is aimed at a younger demographic. I'm 51 if that helps.
If you drive it, you will buy it. Mark my words........

Old 11-23-2014, 01:35 PM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

If I'm correct then there is no manual for the V8 powered F-types....

Old 11-23-2014, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good day ladies and gents.
Brand new today to this forum.
What great news that the F Type will now be getting a proper (manual) transmission.
I currently drive an 05 Porsche Boxster manual trans bought new so it will be 10 years next year.
Still looks and drives like new.
Really love the car but I was never a fan of convertibles, but I bought it after a test drive because I loved the way it handled, sounded, and made me feel as one with the car.
I would have bought a Cayman hardtop but they didn't exist at the time.
I think the F-type coupe is one of the best looking cars on the planet.
Last night I didn't get to bed until 3am because I was watching Youtube videos on the F-type after I read that they will be offering a manual.
They did an amazing job on the exhaust note, love the growl and the pops and burbles when you let off the gas and downshift.
I was set on getting the new generation Porsche 911, but I personally think the F-type looks so much more exotic than the dated 911.
Never driven an F-type but that will change soon.
I am interested in the base F-type or maybe the S, but not the monster R.
I've read the "S" is the sweetspot of the group.
Any comments on that?
How does the F-type drive?
I've driven Corvettes, Porsches, BMW's had an NSX, just wonder how it handles compared to other sports cars.
cheers

Old 11-24-2014, 07:37 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DDS2015
V8S Vert with Performance Pack, Premium Pack, Vision Pack, Surround Sound really do the car right.
A young guy in an F Type? MAGNET

Quick Reply: What does the manual tranny provide that you can't get in pure manual mode in auto?