Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   F-Type ( X152 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/)
-   -   What is this thing? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/what-thing-211368/)

vika01 12-04-2018 01:27 PM

What is this thing?

The thing I circled. I have seen some F-type's with it and many without. Does it have any function or is it only there to cover for the misaligned panels?

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...94aad3563a.png

Carbuff2 12-04-2018 02:32 PM

Our '14 doesn't have that (USA spec).

Can you take a pic from a different angle?

Could it be the inner fender liner sticking out? Or perhaps an extension for the inner liner, that is supposed to provide a lip to reduce road spray, as required in some European jurisdictions? Might be needed with some wheels and not others (check the TRACK specifications for different wheel fitments, they are different).

theweeb 12-04-2018 02:39 PM

Oh, these little plastic lips around wheel openings. Both Europe and the US (and likely other countries) have regulations that state the degree that tires need to have coverage by the fenders to prevent the wheels from kicking up rocks and such. Automobile designers like to tuck fenders in, it looks sexier, so they add these little plastic lips to meet the tire coverage requirements. "European regulations dictate that the fenders must cover 100% of the tire width as measured from 30 degrees forward and 50 degrees rearward. Black plastic fins like you see on the Jaguar allow stylists to create that provocative view while still adhering to the letter of the law." The US has similar regulations.

vika01 12-04-2018 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Carbuff2 (Post 1997020)
Our '14 doesn't have that (USA spec).

Can you take a pic from a different angle?

Could it be the inner fender liner sticking out? Or perhaps an extension for the inner liner, that is supposed to provide a lip to reduce road spray, as required in some European jurisdictions? Might be needed with some wheels and not others (check the TRACK specifications for different wheel fitments, they are different).

Another photo from https://www.autogespot.com/jaguar-f-...017/2017/04/30

vika01 12-04-2018 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by theweeb (Post 1997028)
Oh, these little plastic lips around wheel openings. Both Europe and the US (and likely other countries) have regulations that state the degree that tires need to have coverage by the fenders to prevent the wheels from kicking up rocks and such. Automobile designers like to tuck fenders in, it looks sexier, so they add these little plastic lips to meet the tire coverage requirements. "European regulations dictate that the fenders must cover 100% of the tire width as measured from 30 degrees forward and 50 degrees rearward. Black plastic fins like you see on the Jaguar allow stylists to create that provocative view while still adhering to the letter of the law." The US has similar regulations.

Interesting. Thank you.

theweeb 12-04-2018 02:43 PM

I have similar little plastic extensions on my F-PACE and questioned it a couple of years ago, which lead me to researching the topic.

Carbuff2 12-04-2018 02:57 PM

@theweeb That's what I thought (but, I didn't know the specs, LOL). My mind is cluttered enough. :icon_lolsign:

So that leaves the second part of the question: Why on some F-Types and not others?

theweeb 12-04-2018 03:05 PM

My guess would be they are there depending on model, year, and country. The larger wheels/wider tires on my FP S have them (vs other levels), and the new F-PACE SVR with even wider wheels/tires have a full arc plastic lip that extends out by about a half to three-forths an inch. (which I think is a bit ugly).

​​​​​​https://ph-classic-prod-images.s3.am..._SVR_013-L.jpg

OzXFR 12-04-2018 04:19 PM

As far as I can tell those bits are standard on later SVRs but not so on any other F-Type, and I'm guessing that is because the SVR has 10 mm wider tyres as standard (265 v 255 on the front).
Does anyone know how they mount and if they would mount easily on a MY 2014 or 2015, coz I would like a pair of them.
And if they do mount easily, does anyone have part numbers for them or are they one of those "SVR only" parts for which you need to provide a valid SVR VIN?

xdave 12-04-2018 04:47 PM

They are fitted to my 2015 R as well. The wheel arch liners are different on the CCB cars as there are extra vents for the air to cool the brakes, and whilst JEPC is showing the rear spats as only for the CCB cars I can't locate the front ones at all. (My JEPC is 2016 so a bit out date now - it only shows the a handful of SVR parts - Cambo and some other members have access to the current web-based version which might show the current parts you need.) They only extend out about 5mm.

They appear to be fitted between the wheel arch liner and the bumper cover, both front and rear. I can't see/feel any obvious fixings, but there is very little clearance to see in there with the car on the wheels. Maybe they friction fit?

OzXFR 12-04-2018 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by xdave (Post 1997084)
They are fitted to my 2015 R as well. The wheel arch liners are different on the CCB cars as there are extra vents for the air to cool the brakes, and whilst JEPC is showing the rear spats as only for the CCB cars I can't locate the front ones at all. (My JEPC is 2016 so a bit out date now - it only shows the a handful of SVR parts - Cambo and some other members have access to the current web-based version which might show the current parts you need.) They only extend out about 5mm.

They appear to be fitted between the wheel arch liner and the bumper cover, both front and rear. I can't see/feel any obvious fixings, but there is very little clearance to see in there with the car on the wheels. Maybe they friction fit?

Yep, makes sense Dave, that they are fitted as standard to cars with CCM brakes and not just the SVR.
Which raises the question, if cars fitted with CCM brakes have different front wheel arch liners will these parts fit on an F-Type with "standard' wheel arch liners?
I just had a look at those spots on my car and the wheel arch plastic in that area is thin and flexible so I doubt they are a pure friction/interference fit, my bet is they are stuck on with double sided tape.

O'Dell 12-05-2018 02:02 AM

I haven't had them on either of my F-types on the front. However, there are plastic "extenders" on the rear wheels of both.

Arne 12-05-2018 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by O'Dell (Post 1997207)
I haven't had them on either of my F-types on the front. However, there are plastic "extenders" on the rear wheels of both.

It's the same on my R (MY15). Only rear.

Makeitright 12-05-2018 10:00 AM

Looks like they are the front wheel spats for the F Type, per the jaguar accessory info. Part numbers T2R12665 & T2R12666. Held on with 3m tape

OzXFR 12-05-2018 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Makeitright (Post 1997317)
Looks like they are the front wheel spats for the F Type, per the jaguar accessory info. Part numbers T2R12665 & T2R12666. Held on with 3m tape

Sorry, but those part numbers are for the rear spats which AFAIK every F-Type without CCM brakes already has.
Also, the rear spats are bolted on, three bolts on each spat.

Makeitright 12-05-2018 05:49 PM

xdave 12-06-2018 02:53 AM

The part shown in those instructions looks to be the part fitted to my car. Both visually, and flexing the wheel arch liner with my fingers doesn't move it which suggests it is bonded to the bumper cover as shown.

Whether the part numbers given there are correct... hopefully they are and the online references are wrong (not uncommon).

Unless you really, really want them I wouldn't bother - they make polishing the edge of the bumper cover difficult as they are that textured plastic finish that traps polish and goes white. I'm sure they must have a technical purpose, they call them spats so presumably for directing airflow out of the wheel arches, but at 5mm at the widest part that purpose surely can't be that significant?

But.... $90 USD each side? They retail for £28 here which is still a rip off for what they are. The tape is more expensive to produce than the moulding.
It seems bizarre that US dealers can sell the cars cheaper than our dealers can buy them in the UK, yet the parts have almost 300% mark-up over our already ripoff prices.

OzXFR 12-06-2018 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by xdave (Post 1997573)
The part shown in those instructions looks to be the part fitted to my car. Both visually, and flexing the wheel arch liner with my fingers doesn't move it which suggests it is bonded to the bumper cover as shown.

Whether the part numbers given there are correct... hopefully they are and the online references are wrong (not uncommon).

Unless you really, really want them I wouldn't bother - they make polishing the edge of the bumper cover difficult as they are that textured plastic finish that traps polish and goes white. I'm sure they must have a technical purpose, they call them spats so presumably for directing airflow out of the wheel arches, but at 5mm at the widest part that purpose surely can't be that significant?

But.... $90 USD each side? They retail for £28 here which is still a rip off for what they are. The tape is more expensive to produce than the moulding.
It seems bizarre that US dealers can sell the cars cheaper than our dealers can buy them in the UK, yet the parts have almost 300% mark-up over our already ripoff prices.

Thanks Dave.
I can't access the "instructions" through the link, it just takes me to a Topix rego screen which doesn't work here in Oz unless you are a dealer.
But if the Topix page says they are the front spats and part numbers T2R12665 and T2R12666 then I suspect Topix has got it wrong (not for the first time!), because all my searching on the net under those two part numbers brings up the rear spats and the rear spats only.
Based on your comments I reckon I will give them a miss, even if I could find them.

xdave 12-07-2018 04:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The TOPIX document is attached for reference.

If anyone did want to buy them, I would go through a main dealer and provide that document and say those are the parts you want, rather than relying on the orderable part nos. That way if the wrong bits turn up they will be able to correct it with JLR without costing you anything extra.

Kdes 12-07-2018 06:27 AM

I’d like to get something similar to put on the front wheel arch behind the wheel as a very minimalist type mud flap or stone/spray deflector. It may need a little less curvature though and be a bit longer.

is anyone aware of anything?

kev