Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xc road trip

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,583 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
Sounds fun. But I don't think the FType is a good extended road car. Can't recline the seats, lack of storage space, scrapes, etc. it'll be fun for certain sections but I'd try to get something like a M5 which is designed for such trips. Hope I'm wrong and you enjoy the trip. Keep us posted. On my bucket list to travel by car across the U.S.
I suspect you might be wrong shift (I'll add, I too hope you're wrong). I've driven cross [the entire] country - twice - in my NSX and it was remarkably, incredibly, comfortable! While I haven't done any long trips yet - but intend to - I've already made the assessment that the F-Type could be quite accommodating. And, of course, tons of fun. But we all know that.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

My favorite GoPro mount is the suction cup mount. I use it inside and outside. The other mounts you have to use adhesive, which I would rather not use.

The other thing I would do if I was doing a road trip is a get a spare/old smartphone. Get one of those GPS runner's/tracking apps. It'll record your position and then you can review exactly where you went, overlayed on Google Maps.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:54 AM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by omgomg
put on some Nokian winters (forget the exact model).

Good luck -- if you get a chance, could you take a look at the exact model and size of those Nokian's? My local dealer tells me that they can't fit any on these wheels.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:11 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

My favorite GoPro mount is the suction cup mount. I use it inside and outside. The other mounts you have to use adhesive, which I would rather not use.

The other thing I would do if I was doing a road trip is a get a spare/old smartphone. Get one of those GPS runner's/tracking apps. It'll record your position and then you can review exactly where you went, overlayed on Google Maps.
I'll be using Waze, which supposedly records that - but their forums have people reporting issues with it (particularly in areas of no cell service).

One of the mounts is a thing that uses friction on the dash - I may use that, or may just mount to passenger window with suction, as you note. Agreed that I want to avoid adhesive if possible.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

If you make it to San Francisco, let us know. Maybe we can get another F-Type Meetup going.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:02 PM

SF is def on the list - I have friends there.

From there, out to Napa, and then Sacramento (more friends), and then up to Eugene (maybe redwoods along the way - people tell me it tends to be too crowded and to do Sequoia instead).

Old 12-31-2014, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

hmm - can't find removable state decals - maybe my Google skills are weak
RV websites have sell vinyl cling decals of the U.S. that come with multi-colored inserts for each state. Many RVers put them on their rigs, and fill in each state that they've visited.

Try Camping World first.

Sounds like a great trip. I look forward to reading about it.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Here you go:

RV Travel Map | Signs of Life | Estes Park, Colorado

Perhaps a little more tasteful than state flags covering your car.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
Here you go:

RV Travel Map | Signs of Life | Estes Park, Colorado

Perhaps a little more tasteful than state flags covering your car.
Nice! I got those other ones, but I will get this too and can see which I prefer - this is a good idea, thanks.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:03 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

congrats on the gopro! I would not do every 3 seconds though. I did every 5 seconds on a 2 hour flight (it's on my channel "The Renaissance Man". My brand new top of line fully loaded MacBook Pro running FCPX for editing almost pooped out and could BARARLY handle it. You would need to make the video in small sections or own a super computer to process that. Making over 1k images onto a video is killer!

Old 12-31-2014, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

But I don't think the FType is a good extended road car. Can't recline the seats....
Probably not a good idea to drive in a fully reclined position anyway. 😄

Old 12-31-2014, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by undfeatable
congrats on the gopro! I would not do every 3 seconds though. I did every 5 seconds on a 2 hour flight (it's on my channel "The Renaissance Man". My brand new top of line fully loaded MacBook Pro running FCPX for editing almost pooped out and could BARARLY handle it. You would need to make the video in small sections or own a super computer to process that. Making over 1k images onto a video is killer!
Interesting. At 30fps, a video would only need to be 33s long to surpass that (more than 1k images).

Must be the conversion down on res and from jpeg into what it natively wants - but if the res is not huge, seems odd it would crush it.

I'll play with it once it shows up and go from there - thanks for the tip.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Probably not a good idea to drive in a fully reclined position anyway. 😄
for the pit stop naps One thing I do miss about the 911 is if you need a break, because of the space in the back, you can recline too a pretty good position and get some rest for a bit. Strict 2-seaters you're so upright you can't really rest in the car. Suppose you could get one of those compact folding chairs to put in the boot.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

for the pit stop naps
Good point. That was an advantage of long trips in my pickup. Just flop down on the bench seat in a fetal position and go to sleep.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:43 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

When you make it to Los Angeles PM me. I can take you up the famous "Snake" on Mulholland Hwy.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Starting in mid-Jan I will be between jobs for the first time in 11 years, so I am doing a cross country road trip. 15k miles, 38 states (that number may increase, haven't finalized the list yet), 80+ planned stops, and somewhere between 28 and 35 days.

This trip will be a big factor in deciding if I go back to my R8, get a new P85D Tesla, or try out a Porsche.
Brilliant idea and much respect for driving the F-Type! You'll have a chance for some spectacular photos with the car... Look forward to it!
I'd highly recommend arches too, but it's really freezing at this time of year!

Old 01-01-2015, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts
Thumbs up

Wow...sounds like a great trip,I'm jealous!

I'm in Monterey on Hwy 1 so please let me know when you'll be in the area and we'll hook up,like Shift said,we can hook up again somewhere along the coast!

Old 01-05-2015, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by bwco
Good luck -- if you get a chance, could you take a look at the exact model and size of those Nokian's? My local dealer tells me that they can't fit any on these wheels.
The model is either these or the R2:
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R - Safe and reliable non-studded tire for all winter weather / Nokian Tires

I only looked when they were in my garage, and it is hard to see in that light.
(I could make out 97R XL for sure, but I thought I recalled the guy saying they were R2, and the page there says the R is discontinued.)

As for the sizes, again, hard to read in the pics I took, but I think 255 / 35 R 20 and 285 / 30 R 20 is what I saw (back and front).

I fully admit to having no clue what any of that means - I just give money to the tire guys and they do it for me.

The following users liked this post:
bwco (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 05:44 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The model is either these or the R2:
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R - Safe and reliable non-studded tire for all winter weather / Nokian Tires

I only looked when they were in my garage, and it is hard to see in that light.
(I could make out 97R XL for sure, but I thought I recalled the guy saying they were R2, and the page there says the R is discontinued.)

As for the sizes, again, hard to read in the pics I took, but I think 255 / 35 R 20 and 285 / 30 R 20 is what I saw (back and front).

I fully admit to having no clue what any of that means - I just give money to the tire guys and they do it for me.
Great, thanks -- I think I'll go have a stern talk with my "tire guys"

Old 01-14-2015, 11:49 AM

Got car back from detail, opticoat, and tinting. Forgot to take any pics outside.
Next day (today) took it to the dealer after calling and explaining the trip, asking if they thought I should get it serviced now or later. On the phone, they said I had to service it before (fewer than 3k miles on it). Brought it in, guy tells me not to bother even with oil change until after.

They did tell me that the tire pressure monitors in the tires were at one frequency on F-Types up until a certain VIN and then after that changed - so the wheels that I have that were from an F-Type likely didn't have matching monitors and that is why mine are now throwing an error. He said it is like $800 to fix, so I would be better off just not bothering to fix it this winter.

They are also going to fix the parcel shelf and seat belt recall items while they have it.

Then Friday or Sat (likely Sat morn and spend Fri doing final prepping), I head out on the trip.

Quick Reply: xc road trip