F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xc road trip

Old 01-14-2015, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by omgomg
They did tell me that the tire pressure monitors in the tires were at one frequency on F-Types up until a certain VIN and then after that changed - so the wheels that I have that were from an F-Type likely didn't have matching monitors and that is why mine are now throwing an error. He said it is like $800 to fix, so I would be better off just not bothering to fix it this winter.
TPS monitors cost over $150 each? That's absurd. Dismounting, remounting and balancing shouldn't cost more than $25-30 each.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:39 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Just stating what the guy told me. Wasn't even an official quote - he was telling me not to bother, as they were expensive for something so minor, and said that.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by omgomg
Just stating what the guy told me. Wasn't even an official quote - he was telling me not to bother, as they were expensive for something so minor, and said that.

As stated before, a top notch tire and wheel shop will not charge more than $30/wheel for labor and the monitors are available for $50 each (http://www.carid.com/2015-jaguar-f-type-tpms-sensors/). To do it right should cost you $360 for all 4.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:42 PM

I'm in Lexington KY now. Leaving in the morning to do Lexington -> Knoxville -> Cherohala Skyway -> Tail of the Dragon -> Asheville -> Charlotte -> Cary

First day went Boston -> Newport -> Mystic -> NYC -> Princeton -> Rehoboth Beach -> DC: ~750mi (didn't exactly track, but it would be around there)

Second day went DC -> Harrisonburg -> Bedford (county)

Today did Bedford -> Blacksburg -> Charleston (WV) -> Versailles -> Lexington.
(toured Woodford Reserve today and then took it easy to rest up for a higher miles/hours day tomorrow)

I have time lapse GoPro footage every 10s.
I exported the first day unedited, but haven't yet uploaded it anywhere.
Just wanted to see how it would come out.
Once I get to a better connection, will put something up - but for now just building stuff on the laptop when I get chances.
Will do actual video for some roads, like Tail of the Dragon and maybe 125 in PA.

The radar detector that I had rattled and squeaked (the mount) so bad that it was a blessing when the mount finally broke. I can rig something with velcro if I miss it, but for now, traveling more relying on Waze and eyes.
My cig lighter power splitter (3-way) also broke, but since I don't need the radar detector, the two built in ones are fine for the GoPro and my phone.

The car has been fantastic, and I am somewhere in the 3800+ mi odometer now, so this car has (so far) made it further than my first FType.

I haven't done much in anywhere that I have gone so far, since I have been to these places before - just sort of going through the motions with it - will care more when I get out to things that are new to me.

Main complaints so far are all external to the car:
1)Waze is infuriating in towns/cities, but good on the highway
2) my radar detector mount (and I guess my GoPro mount maybe - more my fault, because I didn't bring the huge pile of different mount types that I have at home).
3) people camping out in the left lane

So far, been easy - but only 3 days in.

The following users liked this post:
schraderade (01-20-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

yea, on freeways people don't really obey the "slow traffic keep right" signs.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,225 Likes on 7,352 Posts

Im Knoxville, if you see a black '86 Olds 442 with t-tops tootling around town, wave hi to him..I still miss it...

Old 01-21-2015, 02:49 PM

In NC and not driving. Yesterday did 650+ miles.

Cherohala Skyway to Tail of the Dragon.
Think I actually preferred Cherohala Skyway (even though it had snow in some parts), because it was safer/faster.

First near accident was last night, 10 miles from where I am now (family).
I was in far right lane, going to exit in a few miles. Was not doing anything crazy, and was trying to keep a window of safety around me and be aware of exit plans.

Waze came up and said "WATCH OUT" and said there was a car on the right.
I looked ahead, there was nothing, and then out of the corner of my left eye I saw a car about to hit me, so I swerved into the shoulder and slammed on the brakes and checked mirrors, then saw the person carry on - hit the horn as an F-U, and then exited.
They had been in the far lane and then realized they needed to get over so they crossed 4 lanes and nearly hit me and went up the exit.
Blue Honda Fit.
Person was young, couldn't tell in the dark if male/female, or anything else.
Wasn't terribly pleased with them, but was pleased it wasn't anything worse.

Have seen a lot of amusingly terrible drivers. I am sure I will continue to.

I forget where I was, but a truck driver honked at me as I went by - three short bursts.
From the angle I was at, I could not see the driver, so I don't know if he was saying "hey nice car" or something more anger fueled.
I wasn't doing anything wrong, so I don't know what it would be.

Had my trip delayed by over 30 mins yesterday when I stopped to get gas and someone wouldn't stop talking to me about the car.
I tried to be polite and said "well I hate to take up your time, and I should probably get going" and not taking the hint, he said "no, no, I am not in a hurry to get anywhere, and I like to talk to people about cars."
Finally basically just drove off.

Tomorrow SC and GA and more family.
After that, FL, GA (again), and AL.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member

Keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:52 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

OMGOMG, you picked the right time not to be in New England! 20-30"+ of snow tonight/tomorrow. Whee!

Old 01-26-2015, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
OMGOMG, you picked the right time not to be in New England! 20-30"+ of snow tonight/tomorrow. Whee!
Let me know how those P-Zeros work for you.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:01 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Mine work great as they're in storage for the winter, along with the rest of the car. Check with RickyJay - haven't heard from him lately.

But, only emergency vehicles allowed on the road after midnight tonight. ("Officer, it was an emergency - I just had to get some power fishtails in.")

Old 01-26-2015, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,583 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Mine work great as they're in storage for the winter, along with the rest of the car. Check with RickyJay - haven't heard from him lately.

But, only emergency vehicles allowed on the road after midnight tonight. ("Officer, it was an emergency - I just had to get some power fishtails in.")
That just might work! Greetings DJS! My F-Type has been out and about countless times this winter - but not tonight! - and while the roads have been quite clear and clean (hardly any salt/sand given the general lack of snow/ice) I've had loads of fun driving it in wonderful, if cold, conditions.

As I mentioned to lhoboy in a PM, I've yet to use snow mode (conditions being so good it wasn't needed) and don't push the envelop all that much or, should I say, beyond reason. Bottom line is the P-Zeros are working for me. In the dead of winter no less.

Of course, for everything there is a season...and a limit.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 01-27-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:16 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Right around 24" of snow here so far...

Old 01-27-2015, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Right around 24" of snow here so far...
zip.nada in Baltimore

Old 01-27-2015, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
zip.nada in Baltimore
Same here...not!

Attached Thumbnails xc road trip-blizzard-2015.jpg  

Last edited by RickyJay52; 01-27-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

Be safe out there and holler when you get to Nor Cal and we'll meet up somewhere on Hwy 1...like Big Sur!

Old 01-27-2015, 10:41 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

The right kind of cat around here right now is a snowcat. Not much wheel spin in those...

Old 01-27-2015, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
The right kind of cat around here right now is a snowcat. Not much wheel spin in those...
I didn't really want to say this...but...

I may be living in New England - home of deflated ***** - but I'm also not foolish enough (madness actually), in this blizzard, to take the F-Type out under these conditions. And, no, my ***** aren't deflated in the slightest.

Go Seahawks!*

*If you're from New York - as I am - it's actually de rigueur rooting against any and all New England teams; even if all the NY teams suck!

Last edited by RickyJay52; 01-27-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
And, no, my ***** aren't deflated in the slightest.
It's too bad you added this disclaimer. You had them all teed up and I was ready to kick

Old 01-29-2015, 09:32 PM

I am in El Paso TX now - just short of 8k miles on the odometer (started with just over 2700).
Was in a downpour going through Georgia and Alabama, which I thought would clean it a bit - and it did. But then by the time I got to Dallas, it was extremely dirty.

My friend wanted to wash it, so I wasn't going to argue - here's a close up of the before/after (well, more "during" than after):

On the way out west I stopped by the famous Prada Marfa (seen better days) and took a quick shot (I couldn't see anything from the sun, surprised it came out at all):

Heading into NM in the morning, and then will be up in Fort Collins by Saturday evening. Staying over another night to catch the Super Bowl there, and then over and down through Utah to the Grand Canyon.

Lowest temp so far was 17 degrees when I left Boston, and 85 degrees in West TX yesterday (I think that was Abeline, or around there).

Cheapest premium gas I have paid so far is 2.18.

Having fun - the car seems made for long trips, GT style.

Main concern through these next few states and the rest of TX will be whether I can dodge cracking the windshield - a few times today I thought the windshield had exploded from things kicked up by trucks - but upon closer inspection it so far seems okay.

The following users liked this post:
jleuz1 (02-03-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: xc road trip