F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xc road trip

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 01:49 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

on the issue with the gas pump ... im not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but it could be an issue of the car not being flat when being refueled. this was an issue for me on a previous car.

the other issue could be bad design ... if the fuel is flowing too quickly. it causes the little holes at the end of the nozzle to be covered and shuts off the pump.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:47 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaunPA
on the issue with the gas pump ... im not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but it could be an issue of the car not being flat when being refueled. this was an issue for me on a previous car.

the other issue could be bad design ... if the fuel is flowing too quickly. it causes the little holes at the end of the nozzle to be covered and shuts off the pump.
I have no clue on flat - I never pay attention to that - will try to notice next time.
But it seems odd that literally every single pump in WV and CA would "not be flat" and no other issues (I am sure there were others, but WV and CA were "every single one").

The CA one if I pushed really hard and then lifted up and to the right, one of them worked for a whole tank for me.

The ones that seem the worst actually trickle out - to the point where when I needed a full tank, I just gave up and after 5 gals drove off to annoyed because it took so long to get.

Supposedly NJ and OR are the only states where it has to be pumped by someone working there. In NJ they are pretty militant about it - in OR I did it accidentally and the guy didn't seem to mind and just wanted to chat about my GoPro (which I unfortunately don't know much about).

Driving into SF tomorrow and will be there until Monday - will follow up with buickfunnycar re hopefully meeting up Monday in Monterey area.

In Klamath Falls OR now.
Between Walla Walla WA and The Delles OR is the prettiest I've seen yet, next to Utah.
Wishing I was going into Idaho and through the North, but given the storms that keep hitting the NE - I feel like the North is a risk.
My concern is getting out in an area I don't know, and them shutting down roads or something and not having a place to go for longer than a night.

Stopped at Wal Mart this morning and applied RainX on all of the glass (even the roof) - but not sure when I will see rain again. If this will ward off rain, that's even better. Magic.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

LMAO . . . yes it will now probably not rain again on your entire trip. No, that's not likely, and I think you'll be amazed.

The following users liked this post:
omgomg (02-11-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

Yeppers,that Rain-X will ward off the rain gods for sure,lol!

Leaving my Monday open,looking forward to meeting you,amybe we can even wash your car...

Old 02-16-2015, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member

Well hooked up with Eric today,he drove through the Monterey Peninsula from SF and I quickly got on washing his car as soon as he arrived,these are the "after" pictures,I wish I could have shown you guys the "before" but in my haste to remove all the caked on black grime,I forgot to man the camera...trust me when I say it was perhaps the dirtiest car I've ever washed!

I believe I dug out a few small animals out of the front air ducts,lol.

After that,we snuck off the a local brewpub just down the street for some suds and wings and then sent Eric back off on his journey,he was trying to get to Riverside by bedtime but seeings how he left at 2:30,that might be a bit ambiguous...but the man does like to rack up the miles so anything is possible.

The following 2 users liked this post by buickfunnycar.com:
Foosh (02-16-2015), RickyJay52 (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member

You're a good person, Buick, and nice job. It "cleans up, real good."

Was watching the golf tournament at Pebble Beach yesterday, and I got incredibly jealous. Having lived close to there, I know it can be chilly, windy, and wet in February, but you guys had weather about as perfect as it ever gets.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
You're a good person, Buick, and nice job. It "cleans up, real good."

Was watching the golf tournament at Pebble Beach yesterday, and I got incredibly jealous. Having lived close to there, I know it can be chilly, windy, and wet in February, but you guys had weather about as perfect as it ever gets.
Thanks...they were saying that was the best weather for the Crosby...errr AT&T...they've ever had. And it looks absolutely stunning on TV...

Old 02-16-2015, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

It did look stunning. I don't think I've ever seen that many people on that beach at any time of year.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:57 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com

Well hooked up with Eric today,he drove through the Monterey Peninsula from SF and I quickly got on washing his car as soon as he arrived,these are the "after" pictures,I wish I could have shown you guys the "before" but in my haste to remove all the caked on black grime,I forgot to man the camera...trust me when I say it was perhaps the dirtiest car I've ever washed!

After that,we snuck off the a local brewpub just down the street for some suds and wings and then sent Eric back off on his journey,he was trying to get to Riverside by bedtime but seeings how he left at 2:30,that might be a bit ambiguous...but the man does like to rack up the miles so anything is possible.
I was expecting to see TWO White coupes in these pics!

Outer two exhaust pipes look more 'grimey' even post wash than the inner two(?) Not a comment on your washing skillz, presumably the outer two are used more/most of the time on the 'R'?

Old 02-16-2015, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mshedden
I was expecting to see TWO White coupes in these pics!
Outer two exhaust pipes look more 'grimey' even post wash than the inner two(?) Not a comment on your washing skillz, presumably the outer two are used more/most of the time on the 'R'?
LOL...I showed him my car and would have certainly taken it but it's currently residing in the back garage because of the house re-model and would have required a bit more time to get it out and I didn't want to hold Eric up.

No I didn't miss them,those pipes will need some serious cleaning with perhaps some fine steel wool or chemicals to get them looking new again and the inners with all the fuel splash make them look like he was running diesel,lol!
My neighbor thought I missed them too but on closer inspection,he too saw they were tarnished.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

Metal polish, elbow-grease, and good as new!

Old 02-16-2015, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member

Metal polish, elbow-grease, and good as new..!
Exactly,you can imagine all that rain and road grime combined with 500+ miles a day will take it's toll.

It was funny,as soon as I hit the roof with water and saw it bead off,I remember him saying he had applied rain-x to it..and I could tell,lol!

Old 02-16-2015, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,272 Likes on 7,377 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
[IMG]

That's very ambitious, he may have a late bedtime..traffic thru the greater LA area and people coming home from a 3 day weekend.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:42 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish--works like magic on stainless exhaust!

Old 02-17-2015, 09:43 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry for not posting - hotel internet is very hit or miss - finally on something that appears to work.

John was super nice - thank you so much. I felt bad just standing there while he scrubbed it down, but certainly not complaining. Not to mention the awesome beer and wings - wish I could do that every day. Beautiful area and jealous of the house (and renovations) - love the cars.

I made it to Riverside last night (just past it, but I think still basically that area) and then got up this morning and had lunch at Stone for a final farewell (I go there every time I am in southern CA if possible - was there on way out as well).

Now in Tuscon due to late start on the day - I dislike night driving due to bad eyes. Will get early to bed and then be ready to go at sun up.

I will try to get a picture of the car in the morning - it is not nearly as dirty as it was, but now it has a major bug problem - the south west has fewer living bugs b/c of my car.

Not sure yet if going a northern or southern route through TX tomorrow - waiting on two friends to see which way works out in terms of visits.
Can't make San Antonio, Dallas, Austin, or Houston easily tomorrow, so will find something along the way regardless - amusingly in West TX, that means very expensive hotels (oil fields and the short term work creates the issue).

Old 02-18-2015, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

Magic eraser wipes it off very easily without much fuzz

Old 02-18-2015, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Schwabe
Magic eraser wipes it off very easily without much fuzz
Thanks, never tried those, but they are amazing on most things.

On the other hand, aluminum polish is pretty easy on stainless steel. It is messy on aluminum with all the black tarnish that comes off during the polishing process. I've become an expert after polishing the six 22.5" Alcoa aluminum wheels on my motorcoach. That is a huge and messy job!

Old 02-18-2015, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, never tried those, but they are amazing on most things.

On the other hand, aluminum polish is pretty easy on stainless steel. It is messy on aluminum with all the black tarnish that comes off during the polishing process. I've become an expert after polishing the six 22.5" Alcoa aluminum wheels on my motorcoach. That is a huge and messy job!
Come polish the magnesium wheels off the funny car if you want difficult,it's like painting the Golden Gate bridge,once you're done,you simply start all over again because it's never-ending...rinse and repeat!

Old 02-18-2015, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, I can imagine. They were std. on original Shelby Cobras, and they corrode very quickly.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, I can imagine. They were std. on original Shelby Cobras, and they corrode very quickly...
They actually oxidize from within so they have their own oxygen system..!

Quick Reply: xc road trip