Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   4.0 timing tools,where I can rent them or can I borrow them from someone? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/4-0-timing-tools-where-i-can-rent-them-can-i-borrow-them-someone-30737/)

viscoussquirrel 12-26-2009 12:48 PM

4.0 timing tools,where I can rent them or can I borrow them from someone?

I'm looking to borrow or rent the jag 4.0 timing tools so I don't have to buy them. Anyone have any ideas where I may be able to do this. Or perhaps from someone on here. I may be open to purchasing a used set as well. :icon_teeth:

Thanks for the help!

test point 12-26-2009 04:21 PM

Send GordoCatCar a PM.

viscoussquirrel 12-28-2009 10:46 PM

Sigh, still not having any luck...

H20boy 12-29-2009 12:38 PM

are these tools rare/unique, don't auto part stores have tool loan programs?

test point 12-29-2009 04:10 PM

In comparison to the auto parts stores tool rentals they are rare and unique.

ken@britishparts.com 12-29-2009 04:31 PM

We rent the tools. I would charge $365 (the price of the tool set) going out the door. Once they are returned in good shape we refund $240 back to your credit card. This is a 10 day rental and will do XJ8, XK8, and S-type 4.0.

viscoussquirrel 12-29-2009 09:57 PM

Thanks Ken! I thinK I may have a lead here though. A close friend of mine is an ASE tech and one of the guys he went to school with is, get this, A JAG TECH! He "says" he si not only going to let me borrow the tools but give me a hand as well! (I'll believe it when I see it) :)

SoTxXjr 01-04-2010 04:44 PM

Not sure if you found the tools you need, but in the event you have not, I offer a suggestion. You run an auto auction, so you probably know a few Ford/Lincoln guys, right? Ask them if they can loan you the timing tools for the Ford Thunderbird/Lincoln LS. Same engine, same timing tool, same part number as the Jag tool. I did that recently through a friend of a friend. Got the whole kit in an unopened box for the cost of a large bottle of Crown Royal. If the dealer(s) there are like the one here, they will have never used them, or only rarely, so they will be less hesitant to loan them out. Beats paying high dollar special tool costs or going through the hassle of fabricating your own tools.

viscoussquirrel 01-08-2010 02:53 PM

And I did just that, from a "friend" of a "friend" But I hold no stock in the reliability of a friend of a friends word.

SoTxXjr 01-09-2010 12:55 PM

Hopefully you get both the tools and the help. But, all you really need are the tools. You can do the job yourself. If you can't get the tools, you can make them pretty easily. Just need a sturdy metal bar, drill 2 holes, a couple of spacers and bolts, homemade tool. I made one to help re-set the timing after I had returned the tools and then swapped engines. Used angle iron to help prevent flex and also used a 5/8" x 2" bolt in place of the flywheel setting plug. The 5/8" bolt was not perfect, but prevented most movement. The crankshaft still moved slightly, so the bolt acted more as a visual aid to check the flywheel position after each step of setting the cam timing to insure it had not shifted. I learned that if you do the camshaft procedure correctly, the crankshaft won't really move anyway, but it helps to have the opposite cam locked, too.

Let us know how it works out.