Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Cloned dealer scan tool (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/cloned-dealer-scan-tool-66558/)

03Xtype 01-14-2012 03:27 PM

Cloned dealer scan tool

I can't seem to find the correct name of the current dealer scanner in order to find a china made clone. Is IDS the correct name?

plums 01-14-2012 03:53 PM

The software is IDS.

The hardware interface required is a FORD VCM made by ROTUNDA.

It seems that reliable clones are notoriously hard to find. Unreliable ... no problem.

A functioning system requires: VCM, IDS, Windows XP 32 bit.

Ford will be selling a new version called VCM II starting Q1 2012. The pricing is set at $899 with the remote data logger.

Aside from the VCM, you can also use a Mongoose cable from Drew Technologies. But that only applies to post 2006 models. :(

03Xtype 01-14-2012 09:32 PM

outstanding info thank you

03Xtype 01-15-2012 12:57 AM

Can the VCM do any diagnostics with an expired subscription?

03Xtype 01-15-2012 08:24 PM

Has any one on the forum purchased a china VCM?

03Xtype 01-16-2012 10:46 AM

I found this company that has there own version of the vcm and uses the same ids software. Are there any other company's that do the same but at a lower price? All suggestions are welcome? Is there a place to get a "modified" version of the ids software so you don't have to renew the subscription?

Thank you for your interest in Drew Technologies J2534 devices. We offer the Mongoose JLR for Jaguar and land Rover for programming and dealer diagnostics with the IDS SDD software. The Mongoose JLR is available for $599 USD. The IDS SDD software is sold separately and is available from TOPIx - TOPIx.

They provide complete module programming as well as diagnostics for 1999 and newer Jaguar vehicles and 2005 and newer Land Rover vehicles.

03Xtype 01-16-2012 11:25 AM

TOPIx - TOPIx

xjrguy 01-30-2012 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by 03Xtype (Post 455186)
Has any one on the forum purchased a china VCM?

I personally have never used a clone, but I am aware of numerous, repeat, numerous reports, anecdotes and articles indicating a host of quirks, failures and early demise of these units.

You get what you pay for.

My two cents.......

plums 01-30-2012 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by 03Xtype (Post 455359)
I found this company that has there own version of the vcm and uses the same ids software. Are there any other company's that do the same but at a lower price? All suggestions are welcome? Is there a place to get a "modified" version of the ids software so you don't have to renew the subscription?

Thank you for your interest in Drew Technologies J2534 devices. We offer the Mongoose JLR for Jaguar and land Rover for programming and dealer diagnostics with the IDS SDD software. The Mongoose JLR is available for $599 USD. The IDS SDD software is sold separately and is available from TOPIx - TOPIx.

They provide complete module programming as well as diagnostics for 1999 and newer Jaguar vehicles and 2005 and newer Land Rover vehicles.

J2534 is the newer interface. It is not a VCM clone. The Mongoose JLR is one of the new approved interfaces introduced by Jaguar who are dropping support for VCM.

See:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...ab00007-66984/

Where XjrGuy has kindly posted the TSB detailing the change.

++

Teck4Jag 02-08-2012 11:58 PM

see the clone chines ones fail...i possibly might sell my Factory tool real deal JLR SDD with the proper psc 550 battery conditioner this has the latest software updates

mrlovt 06-22-2012 09:05 PM

I possibly might want to buy such a thing if it's still available. Would that work for X308 and newer cars?

03Xtype 06-22-2012 10:43 PM

I'm still looking in to a dealer level scanner, all the WDS scanners I've seen have been old massive machines, I can't seem to find a compact clone laptop/multiplexer set up.

Ive come upon a company selling a SDD IDS set up, I was told by this company that I wouldn't need a subscription to topix , has any one heard of this before?

I was under the impression that you couldn't do programming/coding with out a subscription.

xjrguy 06-23-2012 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by 03Xtype (Post 533327)
I'm still looking in to a dealer level scanner, all the WDS scanners I've seen have been old massive machines, I can't seem to find a compact clone laptop/multiplexer set up.

Ive come upon a company selling a SDD IDS set up, I was told by this company that I wouldn't need a subscription to topix , has any one heard of this before?

I was under the impression that you couldn't do programming/coding with out a subscription.

Currently, if the SDD setup has been 'activated' and updated with the current calibration files etc., it does not need TOPIx to function or do programming. That is going to change in the near future, however. Very soon the calibrations etc. will probably not be on the local computer, they will be pulled as needed from TOPIx. That means the SDD/IDS computer will have to have a live internet connection and subscription to TOPIx. If it doesn't have that connection, SDD will only have limited function.

Cheers,

Cambo 06-23-2012 03:48 PM

I have an SDD, using the Mongoose JLR interface, running on a refurbed Dell laptop.
As mentioned there are two ways to get the software up & running.

1. A Topix programming subscription.
2. A username & password.

I'm not sure if the Topix subscription is meant for official dealers & the username/password for the independant workshops or if it's the other way round.

In any case, the username/password is only valid for one version of IDS/SDD.
i.e. if you have username/password for V128, and you update to V129 then your credentials are no longer valid, but will work on any revision of V128.

I got mine from a guy (independant garage) who updated to V130 & had to buy a new username/password for it. So I could "procure" his old credentials.

There is a guy on ebay right now selling copies of V127 supplied with a username & password. This happens quite a lot, if a workshop updates to the next version, then they would try & recover some of the costs by selling on the old credentials.

The only thing is, you have to switch off the automatic updates, and keep refusing when it asks you to connect to the server & download/install updates. If it updates to the next version, you're stuffed!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11575086/190620121578.jpg

ooootis 06-25-2012 10:43 AM

I just bit the bullet. I thought the bleeding had stopped for a while but capability is priceless.

Cambo 06-26-2012 01:22 AM

Did you just buy the software from the guy on eBay? What about the Mongoose?

I saw one here JLR Mongoose,Mongoose for Jaguar & Land Rover,JLR online store,technology support,supplier,price,update,review,software,manu al--AutoTool-Mall

ooootis 06-26-2012 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Cambo351 (Post 534890)

Software from E bay. Mongoose from the manufacture:icon_sad: Full price! That pic in the link doesn't look like the cable you have. Might be a clone.

That website looks a bit hinky. Most Hyper links or Icons are just pics. Only thing that seems to work correctly was the basket. 50.00 shipping, 4% surcharge for paypal brings the total to 315.00 for what looks like a clone. I run from sites like that when the price is that far away from real deal. Amazon is the only exception!

Have you bought from them before?

Cambo 06-26-2012 03:17 AM

I just found another clone for $160....

Mongoose JLR - Jaguar & Land Rover Dealer Level Diagnostics & Programming

Sounds way too cheap, and they even offer you a username & password.

That's a little too dodgy for my liking...

xjrguy 06-26-2012 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Cambo351 (Post 534910)
I just found another clone for $160....

Mongoose JLR - Jaguar & Land Rover Dealer Level Diagnostics & Programming

Sounds way too cheap, and they even offer you a username & password.

That's a little too dodgy for my liking...

I wouldn't trust that Chinese crap as far as I can spit.........

plums 06-26-2012 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by xjrguy (Post 534945)
I wouldn't trust that Chinese crap as far as I can spit.........

So who made the computer you just posted from?