General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Looking For Consulting Service

Old 07-08-2018, 06:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking For Consulting Service

Hi Everyone -

I've got a '96 XJ6 VDP that I really enjoy driving. Like thel Jags that friends have had or have, it has its little quirks. Two big things have come up though that make me wonder if I should stop putting money into it and buy another, or not. One is the drive shaft. I've had it looked at by a reputable Jag mechanic and he tells me repair work on the shaft will run about $1200. Additionally, I've noticed what I think is some rust bubbling on the outside rear fenderwell arch. The car is a Michigan car, though it has been in Arizona for the last five years (four with me). Also, the clear-coat is peeling on both front top fenders, which means I might want to paint it if it is worth keeping. This is the first Jag I've owned, so I am still learning about the brand. So, I am looking for someone who might be able to do a thorough examination to tell me if the car is worth keeping or not. Anyone aware of this kind of service in the Phoenix metro area? I'm not afraid to put money into it if it is worth it.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 07-09-2018, 02:36 AM
Received 10,282 Likes on 6,803 Posts

Scott,

My suggestion is to go drive the replacement candidates, BEFORE you do something silly.

I bet the X300 still wins hands down.

Clear coat peeling, NORMAL.

Driveshaft issues, NOT common. Maybe a simple centre bearing, and $1200 is underworld money.

Rust, not common at all, but a good reputable panel shop could sort that as part of the repaint, simple.

I still miss mine, and the only reason I moved to the S Type was easier access for me very sad, damaged right leg, as dragging it over that entry sill just got too hard.

Slow down, think, many times over, and a drink or 3 will do no harm.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:23 AM
GGG
Received 16,747 Likes on 12,140 Posts

Originally Posted by azjagguy
..... I am looking for someone who might be able to do a thorough examination to tell me if the car is worth keeping or not. Anyone aware of this kind of service in the Phoenix metro area? I'm not afraid to put money into it if it is worth it.
Scott,

This could get more Views by Phoenix based members in US Southwest Region forum. Let's see how it goes and I can move it if necessary.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Devil you know is better than devil you don't. About the only reason to replace with the like if rust is structural and too far gone to repair.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:52 PM
Received 6,239 Likes on 5,441 Posts

Have British Auto in Scottsdale give it the once over.

https://britishautoaz.com/

GGG (07-11-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Scott,

My suggestion is to go drive the replacement candidates, BEFORE you do something silly.

I bet the X300 still wins hands down.

Clear coat peeling, NORMAL.

Driveshaft issues, NOT common. Maybe a simple centre bearing, and $1200 is underworld money.

Rust, not common at all, but a good reputable panel shop could sort that as part of the repaint, simple.

I still miss mine, and the only reason I moved to the S Type was easier access for me very sad, damaged right leg, as dragging it over that entry sill just got too hard.

Slow down, think, many times over, and a drink or 3 will do no harm.
Thanks, Grant. If I do decide to sell, I'll be buying another X300. The drink suggestion is a great idea, too!

Old 07-10-2018, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Scott,

This could get more Views by Phoenix based members in US Southwest Region forum. Let's see how it goes and I can move it if necessary.

Graham
Thanks Graham. I didn't even think of that.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
Devil you know is better than devil you don't. About the only reason to replace with the like if rust is structural and too far gone to repair.
Thanks! You're right about knowing the Devil. I do know all of the little issues with this car.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Norri
Have British Auto in Scottsdale give it the once over.

https://britishautoaz.com/
Thanks, Norri. I'll do just that.

GGG (07-11-2018)