General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Complicated Title issue!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complicated Title issue!

I recently drove from FL to AL to buy a '99 XK8 "Shaguar". We agreed a price, and due to the limited miles it had done in the past year the seller offered to ship it to FL. When I got the paper work there was no title from the seller, or the seller before him, or the seller before him but one that originated in FL! I'd ran a Carfax and the last owner listed is the guy in FL. There are all bills of sales included along with official "transfer of ownership forms from the states of NJ and Maine. But these say they should be accompanied by a title. The car has been kept off road in a museum and stored by a collector since it left FL. From what I've googled both dealers who sold it via auctions after it left FL were breaking the law by selling it without a title. The guy I bought it off had purely kept it in storage and has been as nice as pie and horrified. It looks like I could possibly get a bonded title on it or I've contacted the original FL dealer who I do have the title from in the paperwork, but was never sent off, and he said that for $500 he'll get his title clerk to deal with it and I guess he'll just request a duplicate title and insert my name and mail it off, as he's still listed with DMV as last/current owner! I want to keep and use the car but have a time limit on registering and titling it. The guy who said he'd get his title clerk to sort it was via a facebook message and he gave me a paypal address to send it. Any thoughts please or advice? Thanks in advance. Phil

Old 04-25-2019, 03:37 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Welcome to the forum Phil,

I won't attempt to comment on the complexities of the US vehicle registration system but can understand you are in a serious predicament with the title.

The idea of Facebook messages and Paypal transfers is high risk and all too often this combination goes horribly wrong. Regardless of time or distance, a face-to-face with the dealer is the way to take control of the situation and reduce delay to a minimum.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 05-05-2019, 04:44 PM
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

AVOID Bonded Titles.

$500 is a ripoff. Duplicate titles are inexpensive, and the process to get one is simple.

Tell the guy you'll give him fifty bucks plus the actual fee for getting a new title. If he resists, tell also him that "experts" are advising you "save the fifty bucks" and just contact the Florida DMV and have THEM ask why he failed to provide a title to the purchaser and inform DMV of the sale, way back when.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by ukpip
When I got the paper work there was no title from the seller, or the seller before him, or the seller before him but one that originated in FL!

".....but one that originated in FL" ?

Not quite sure what you are saying.

So, to clarify, you were given a title to the car....but it's in the name of whoever owned three steps back, in a different state?

Cheers
DD

Old 05-05-2019, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by ukpip
or I've contacted the original FL dealer who I do have the title from in the paperwork, but was never sent off,

OK, my question is answered

You DO have a title to the car.

Is it signed-off by the legal owner?

Does is show any leins or other owners, like a bank? if so, are they signed off?

Since you have the title, and if it's signed off by any/all owners, I'd say you're good to go.

What does the local DMV/licensing office say?

Some of the previous owners did not transfer title into their own name and state....but that shouldn't prevent YOU from doing so.

My brother bought a truck a couple years ago. Seller gave him the title ...which was in the previous owner's name. the seller never transferred title into his own name but the title was perfectly valid. There was no problem registering and titling the truck

But....laws vary from state-to-state.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-05-2019, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts

I agree with the title you have as being sufficient...what you will probably get is late fees and maybe a penalty....and maybe have to fill out a statement of facts form telling the story...in rare cases you might have to get something notorized....as mentioned previously, at least get started on it....some states have motor vehicle department authorized 3rd party outlets that can handle vehicle registration...maybe check on that...they are usually less rigid than the state run office...if by chance you are a member of an auto club, they may have vehicle services also

Old 05-05-2019, 06:31 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

OP posted the question and logged off 4 hours later. This was 1 minute after I posted my reply #2.

Either I upset him or he resolved the title issue.

Graham

Old 05-05-2019, 10:51 PM
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Under the law, the title is the proof of ownership. It doesn't matter how many hands it passes through between one seller and one buyer. If it is properly signed off, that's all you need, even if half of the population of Phoenix has bought and sold it without posting the transfer to Motor Vehicles. Don't tell DMV about the other buyers and sellers, all they care about it that the owner of record signed off, and you become the new owner of record.