General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HomeLink upgrade needed?

Old 02-12-2015, 12:02 PM
Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Default HomeLink upgrade needed?

I recently had the pleasure of replacing my 30 year old garage door opener. My home link buttons worked with the old one just fine. Now with the new opener in place, I cannot get them to sync up.

Does anyone have a proceedure that works or do I need to get some kind of adapter formy door opener to make it work.

I don't like haiving a remote hanging off my visor so that is not what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any help.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:14 PM
GGG
Received 16,758 Likes on 12,147 Posts

Here is the full procedure from the Driver's Handbook:

HomeLink upgrade needed?-homelink-1.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

HomeLink upgrade needed?-homelink-2.jpg

HomeLink upgrade needed?-homelink-3.jpg

HomeLink upgrade needed?-homelink-4.jpg

The instructions are on the fourth page for reprogramming a previously trained Homelink to erase the link to your old garage door opener.

Graham

Old 02-12-2015, 07:45 PM
Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

GGG

My manual is slightly different than yours but basically the same procedure.

I followed the procedure and get the homelink to go from slow to fast flashing indicating it should be programmed.

However, my driver's manual says the light should go to yellow if it is a rolling code device. It does not go to yellow.

I tried to teach the garge door opener my newly programmed button anyway but could not get it to work.

It's cold in my garage. Now I'm cold. I'll try again tomorrow from the beginning.

Mybe it didn't program the button correctly.

Thank for the help.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:23 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

bumping an old thread. Got a new home and the new garage door opener will not connect with the installed Homelink in the 2005. Looks like vehicles 2007 and older will not work with the newer units and you have to get a new Homelink transmitter ($200 on Amazon) and install in the car. Anyone done this? Interested in seeing if you can actually remove the one that is there and replace the guts or drop the new one in the same place? Hate the idea of installing a second unit somewhere and running wires.

Another option is finding one from a 08-09 model? Anyone do that?

thanks

Old 01-30-2018, 12:00 PM
wwr
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm also interested in other's experience here.... 04 XJR... cannot link with a newer garage door opener.

tarheel72;
are you looking a generic Homelink transmitter on Amazon or something intended as a drop-in for automobiles?

Old 01-30-2018, 12:34 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wwr
I'm also interested in other's experience here.... 04 XJR... cannot link with a newer garage door opener.

tarheel72;
are you looking a generic Homelink transmitter on Amazon or something intended as a drop-in for automobiles?
Well ideally I would like to remove the existing Homelink and replace it with an updated version (V4 or V5). Drop in.

One option is to get one from a 08 or 09 model, which may be European only. Not sure if they have them over there and if it would work. Nor how much that would cost me.

Another option would be to buy the Homelink compatibility kit, which is basically an RF convertor that you plug into the wall. It takes the signal from your existing Homelink and pairs it with a new compatible one that it then transmits to the opener, to get it to work. This is only $25 but I wanted to try something different.

Option three is to buy one of the stand alone Homelink modules off Amazon that you install in cars that did not come with Homelink from the dealer. People usually put them in the visor or headliner. They look very similar in size and shape to what we have but maybe it's different? And this is the most expensive option for sure, like probably $200.

Just checking out my options and seeing what others have donw.