Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Diagnostic Readers (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/diagnostic-readers-194423/)

JagJoe80 12-29-2017 10:41 AM

Diagnostic Readers

Hi

I'm looking to buy a reader for my Jaguar Sovereign 1998 as I am fed up of paying garages to asses the problem but never seem to be able to repair it.

I have seen a post of readers but have found these two on Amazon and am wondering if any of you have tried these or suggest any one below £45.00.

Readers:-

OBD2 Scanner Autophix OM126 EOBD OBDII Car Diagnostic Scan Tool Fault Code Reader Reset for Engine Management Warning Light - £34.99
or
New Generic U480 OBD2 OBDII EOBD CAN-BUS Auto Scanner ENGINE Code Reader Car Diagnostic Tool by U-Lucky(TM)(U480, Orange and Black) - £12.99

Thanks

Joseph

jackra_1 12-29-2017 12:21 PM

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...-33347/page27/

Have a look thru the above thread.

GGG 12-30-2017 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by JagJoe80 (Post 1816409)
I'm looking to buy a reader for my Jaguar Sovereign 1998 .....

Joseph,

I've moved your question from Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Centre to General Tech Help forum.

The Feedback & Suggestion Centre is for posts about the forum and NOT FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS.

You wil find plenty of discussion and advice on both code readers and scan tools in this forum.

Graham

Vee 01-05-2018 08:21 AM

I have and use the cheaper U480 reader.

It works, but only for "p" codes. If you want ABS codes, or transmission codes, you'll need something that can pull those Jag-specific codes... options tend to be costly.

King Charles 01-12-2018 03:49 PM

I run Torque Pro app w/ the $12 Panlong bluetooth scanner from Amazon, it's been flawless 2 years in.

Thermo 01-19-2018 02:19 PM

I use the Torque App also with an Elm 327 unit. Cost all of like $20 USD to do. One note of caution though with your 98 XJ, you will want ot get the V1.8 Elm unit, not the V2.1 version. The newer version doesn't seem to like the older vehicles, kinda like the older Elm unit will not work with the newer vehicles (2005 and newer as I recall).

LoganThomas33 01-24-2018 09:39 AM

Torque gets my vote too. It's pretty straightforward to use.

JagJoe80 01-25-2018 11:26 AM

Thank you to everyone who have sent me recommendations for code readers.

I have read the threads and tbh am still a little confused by the masses of readers around.

So I thought I would list again my requirements and the cars the family own and see which is the best reader at a reasonable price. I am based in London. UK.

I am looking for a code reader that is reasonable in price and works on all warning lights.
Either a stand alone unit or one that is Mac compatible.

Cars:-
Sovereign 1998 (MAIN CAR)
S-Type Diesel 2005
XK8 1998

The readers I have seen and think may be compatible:-
AU obd2 blue Tooth
Toppak 280
Autel AL519?619
Innova 315e/3100j.

I await your recommendations , as I said I have seen Sticky list but most of them were tested on post 2000 models.

Regards

Joseph

GGG 01-26-2018 02:27 AM

Joseph,

Several recommendations already for TorquePro. If you only want to read P (powertrain) codes, it is the lowest cost option and is the one most of us use most of the time. It will read the codes that set the MIL warning. If I get a MIL set, I don't immediately reach for my laptop and fire up Jaguar SDD (Symptom Driven Diagnostics - the dealer tool), TorquePro is the quickest to read Pxxxx codes.

If you want something more sophisticated that will read B (body), C (chassis) and U (network) codes then the cost increases significantly. There is no simple answer here. Not all code readers can read all codes on all Jaguars.

The next level is a diagnostics tool that can interact with the onboard modules and sensors such as Jaguar SDD. Cost ramps up as does the learning curve to be able to use it safely and effectively.

It really comes down to what exactly you want to do.

Graham

Vee 01-26-2018 09:14 AM

Not aware of any cheap options that will read the jaguar specific transmission and ABS codes.

if you come across a Genrad GDS500 or 510, you’d be set. That is a handheld, OBD2 powered device that can specifically read everything you’d want on both cars.

troll ebay and you may come across one someday.

JagJoe80 01-26-2018 11:43 AM

Code Reader

Thank you everyone for your advice have finally boiled it down to the:
icarsift i930 - £97.00 or Genrad GDS500 - Cant find one on ebay so far and the price is quoted at £400+ .

A friend of mine has the Elm 327 and does not seem to work on my XJ 1998, yet it worked on the 2005 X-Type.

I am leaning towards the icarsoft i930.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Cheers
Joseph