General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Genrad GDS3500 WDS Docking Station

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 02:44 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
I would pay an enormous amount of money for all that you have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations on the find. I hope you help locals with diagnostics!!

bob
thank you,Bob, yes i'm very happy with this find, at this moment i'm trying to repair the docking station (ordered a replacement ATX power supply and fitted a separate laptop 16v/5A power supply)
Ivo helped me with a Jaguar/Aston Martin / Ford HDD to make the WDS more versatile and i soon will try the same HDD in my Iveco IT2000 / GDS3500 tester to see if they are interchangable (waiting for the 128 mb RAM cards...)
i don't have a Jaguar myself (my ride is a tuned Suzuki Swift Sport, i'm sorry !) but when i get familiar with the tools and have all the needed adapters i will check if there is any local interest in Jag/Aston/Ford diagnostic service....
Gert

Last edited by flasher; 10-06-2018 at 03:27 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:13 PM
Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Somewhere in this topic somebody was asking for Land Rover CD13. I have got one. So if you would like to have more information about it, send me a PM.
It is working on Windows XP with a VCM (not updated I think) and correct cable.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:20 PM
Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

And meanwhile, apparently I have been become a collector of working diagnostic stuff (last week I give my JDS parts away), and for my (smal) "collection" I am searching for WDS cable: B-298 .
I know it is a long schot but maybe there is somebody who can supply a picture, layout, pin out or even is willing to sell one.

#hopeful

Old 10-12-2018, 04:07 AM

Well i managed to repair my docking station using a 420w power supply with cut 3.3v wires + a separate 16v-5a laptop power supply - yesterday i finally succeeded in restoring the touch screen function of my Iveco IT2000/GDS3500 tester after i changed the mouse settings trying to activate an external mouse - i used a keyboard to activate the tabs and buttons and used the mouse settings of my Ford/Jaguar/Aston Martin WDS to copy them to the Iveco tester.

i also changed both bios batteries and the battery packs and i put 128 mb Kingston RAM cards in both machines to speed them up a little - i first put other 128 mb 66 mhz cards in both machines but they did not even boot with these cards - according to the supplier the Kingston card is really a 133 mhz card instead of 66 mhz (2x 66 mhz) so according to him that would be the reason his cards did not work….
I remember a post about someone reporting a working 133 mhz card so it might be possible…

the more i compare both GDS3500 machine the more differences i encounter - the Iveco tester is not a 100% copy of the WDS tester - the Iveco runs Windows NT 4.0 , it has a dedicated keyboard connection on the front and 2 rails to connect the IT2000 keyboard, it has 2 extra flat cables connected between the upper and lower board, it has a (non-working) usb and infrared port and it lacks the second pcb layer like the WDS tester .
It does however accept the WDS HDD so it will have to test if it does communicate with Ford / Jaguar/ Aston Martin vehicles using it's other pcb board setup....

This forum is great for finding info about the GDS3500 tester, lots of experience and very friendly and helpful people here !

Last edited by flasher; 10-12-2018 at 07:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (10-13-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 07:20 AM

Last edited by flasher; 10-22-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:24 AM

this is the wiring diagram of the inside of the WDS ST-210 418-F245 diagnostic loopback test connector - it is not pretty but i hope it's understandable….
Maybe someone with better drawing skills can make a better diagram from this info....

Old 10-30-2018, 04:50 AM

i just noticed 1 fault in my drawing - the third (smaller) 1K resistor should be left out so mount only the right 1K resistor ……
the rest of the diagram is confirmed as i dismantled this test connector to use it as a base for a diagnostic lead for the Iveco GDS3500 tester (still have to find info about the wiring of this specific cable….)

Old 12-09-2018, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello ppl.
Need a little help. Some one to share link or send me directly (B-45upd.iso 8.5 MB / Ford B45-Updates)

Thx to all.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:17 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

I have the CD and I uploaded it to a Google MyDrive site.
Send me a message and I can 'share' if you provide email address.

You will need a few more posts and a certain amount of time for the Private Message privilege.

bob

The following users liked this post:
djanib (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
I have the CD and I uploaded it to a Google MyDrive site.
Send me a message and I can 'share' if you provide email address.

You will need a few more posts and a certain amount of time for the Private Message privilege.

bob
Will i break the rule if I write my mail address inside post? I hope not.
It's same like my username here. "djanib" Google mail.

Thx alot my friend.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:20 PM

I sent a 'share' invite to you!!!

bob

Old 02-16-2019, 10:07 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry Touch screen not starting

Hello to all members,
My WDS now do not start because it look like the GREEN button on the screen is not working now (I before changed the display which was with vertical lines but the new one was starting with a blank screen, no pictures. So,I wanted to reinstall the old, but now nothing start with the green button, the green led indicating the power is the only led on)
I would like to know if someone know how to start without the Touch Screen Green button?
Or if someone know where to find the Touch screen (ot the display, but the glass with the touch buttons?
I think that it could be because of the ribbon damaged....
Or some one have an used on to sell?
Thank in advance for your help!
Regards
Claude

Old 02-16-2019, 10:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi again!
Looking to buy: IDS v118.5 (my CD is damaged) and IDS-SDD v125.3..
Someone have experience with these version working with a VCM on a laptop like the CF-19 Panasonic?
Will these versions work with this touchscreen laptop?
Thank in advance,
All bests to all members

Old 02-17-2019, 08:28 AM

The WDS PTU is a Pentium I running at 233mhz. It was designed for Widows 98. (way too slow)
The IDS was introduced with the Panasonic CF-30 Windows XP PRO running at 1.6ghz

I am using a DELL C640 Pentium 4 running at 1.8ghz with XP PRO. I have IDS 118.5 and a Rotumda VCM. Toughbooks are nice but not necessary.

I don't think the newer VCM II is compatible with the older cars.

bob

Old 03-11-2019, 06:59 AM
Default IDS,WDS,VMM and Iveco IT2000 equipment for sale

because i started some new projects i have decided to sell all equipment displayed in my previous messages - the FDS2000 system is sold in the meanwhile but the WDS and IDS systems are for sale.
The WDS has a 3 brand ( Jaguar, Aston Martin and Ford ) software installed on 1 harddisk with mini keyboard for software choice at startup , new high capacity batteries,extended memory, docking station with two new power supplies, all Ford cables, a Aston Martin CAN switch cable , software etc.
The IDS system comes including the Original VCM1 interface , the Original IDS Panasonic CF18 laptop with a new battery , the docking station with enclosure and DVD RW player, cables, and software.
I also sell a complete Original VMM system with all cables and carrying case.
Furthermore i have a Original Iveco IT2000 (GDS3500 based) tester with new high capacity battery, extended memory , power supply and new made communication cable.
All items are in very good (often as new) condition.
Just send me a PM when you want more info or for your price proposal.

Last edited by flasher; 03-11-2019 at 07:07 AM. Reason: added info
Old 10-22-2019, 04:55 AM

Hello,

I managed to get one of those old WDS units and some FORD/MAZDA soft for it. I also have Jag cd 41 and 43. I don't have the JAG system cd-s and with FORD system cd it says wrong blue cd inserted. Also the 41 and 43 seem to be relatively new, so maybe not for WDS at all? Anybody still have Jag ISO-s uploaded somewhere and willing to share?

Old 10-22-2019, 09:24 AM

Jaguar WDS41 was NOT a reliable version. I contacted Jaguar Tech Hotline about the software after a few problems our shop encountered and we were advised the go back to WDS40 until WDS42 was released.

Jaguar 42 is a two CD installation (42a and 42b)
Jaguar 43 requires 42a to be installed after the CD2 (GHOST), THEN CD43 can be installed instead of the 42b so it is also a two CD install.(CD2 is the Windows Operation System)
IDS used DVDs so the large file fits on a single disc.

Without CD2 (GHOST) or CD42a you cannot install the CD43 software onto the PDU.
CD41 can be installed as long as you also have CD2 (GHOST) but I never trusted it.
You cannot use Ford A5 or A6 as the CD2 to load the Windows operating system.

You can send me a Private Message after you introduce yourself in the new members area and get a few more posts.

bob

Old 10-23-2019, 04:31 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Andr'e
Did you manage to sort out a matrix for the pin connections of the different cables, (I know the post is 3 years old but still need info) I have put my "modified" cable away until i can confirm the pin out and if any internal resistances are required, as i now have a new toy a 1998 convertible YEH! I will probably need the older cable at some stage so back to drawing board as they say.
Best regards
rrosscoe

Old 10-23-2019, 12:13 PM
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi rosscoe,

yes, it's been for a while but I am still close to this topic :-).
In our Forums (www.jaguar-hilfe.de) we are evaluating the pin connections and the inner resistors that might have been used to "code" the cables for the WDS (what a bullshit to do - life could have been so easy).
We are even evaluating the possibility to (re-)build cables of our own as the Jaguar cables are hardly available anymore. Meanwhile I have a 3D-printer for the plugs and other stuff, but someone has to model the plugs in 3D before we can start.
If I begin with that topic, that will take me some time to do it along all other Things.
But as soon as we have more information be sure we are going to post this here.

best regards
André

Old 12-09-2019, 09:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi

I got my hands on the gds3500 but I have a problem. it didn't come with a battery. is there any information about the connection. or someone with an extra battery, a dead battery is acceptable
because new cells already exist

Nestori

Quick Reply: Genrad GDS3500 WDS Docking Station