General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Jaguar XJ8 V8 3.2 2002 intermitent Engine Safe Mode, Gearbox Fault, ASC/TSC NA

Old 07-23-2014, 05:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar XJ8 V8 3.2 2002 intermitent Engine Safe Mode, Gearbox Fault, ASC/TSC NA

Hi all i have introduced myself in the intro section and am hoping I can get some advice from the wealth of knowledge that seems to be on this forumI posted this on facebook jag group and a chap advised me to try on here so here I am:

I could do with some advice on my new toy see video for fault

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...79581446900769

I have only had the car 4 days and this issue has got worse and worse. The Fault is intermitent, and when it comes the jag goes into full safe mode and runs lumpy and I can only move at a snails pace no accelerator or anything.

Today was the last straw went down to my mates garage to get the jag onto diagnostics and what a nightmare she went into limp mode this morning then as I was pulling out of my mates body shop she did it again and wouldnt clear was stuck in the middle of the road for 10 mins while fire engines on an emergency and trafic couldn't get by lol then managed to get her going and pulled into my mates garage we got the diagnostics on and the readings are as follows:

P1121 pedal demand sensor a circuit range performance
P1122 pedal demand sensor low input
P1260 security input
P1632 cam message implausible
C1155 front left wheel circuit failiur
B1932 drivers air bag deployment circuit open
B1994 left airbag dployment circuit open
B1998 right air bag deplyment circuit open

Ok so we cleared all the faults as some of them could be old ones from battery going flat. Drove round the block she went into safe mode twice and once when I got back to the garage checked codes again and p1632 cam message implausible was the only message to come back all the rest had gone. Mate said that there has been a recal on gearbox ecu and throttle body and that I need to check if that has been done as it sound like that may be the cause. So left the garage and she did it not once not twice but ten times on the way home and I only live two miles from the garage. So I contacted jag and this car has had no warranty work carried out on it and no service buletins available, but there are some software updates available are they worth getting done? But this still was no help!

So I did some homework and found this:

LIMP-HOME MODE - DTC P1121 AND/OR P1632 - AJ27 ENGINE - ADJUST THROTTLE CABLE
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): 310-05, Date of Issue: April 01, 2002
JAGUAR: 1999-2000 MY XK8 Range; 1999-2000 MY V8 XJ Series
SECTION: 310
VIN: 031303-A04950; 853936-F08942
Superceded Bulletin(s): SECTION 310, NO. 05, Date of Issue: August 01, 2000
Related Ref Number(s): 310-05
ARTICLE BEGINNING
Issue
NOTE: Remove and destroy Bulletin 310-05, amended 08/00. Replace with this Bulletin. Procedure has been revised to use the WDS.
Some of the above vehicles may default to limp home mode because the throttle cable is improperly adjusted. The condition will be accompanied by diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P1121 and/or P1632 being stored in the memory of the Engine Control Module (ECM) or Transmission Control Module (TCM), respectively.

So I adjusted the throttle cable and did a hard reset it and to be honest it has helped a little, but she still did it once after picking misses up but cleared straight away which is better than the ten times it has done it today. One thing I have notice she seems to only do it if sat around in traffic or iddling for a while, ie waiting for misses lol. Also just before it happens you can feel her being slightly less responsive???
Any help would be much appreciated

Old 08-31-2014, 11:33 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Good job finding the bulletin. That 1632 is not common. The bulletin only applies to 2000, not 2002, not to say it "couldn't" apply.

Did you follow the bulletin EXACTLY, or just kind of adjust the cable? I've attached the full bulletin in case you don't have it.

The 1260 ALWAYS shows up. Disregard.

The "B" codes are not causing driveability. You will need to focus on the "P" codes.

The 1155 may be related to the ASC/DSC and Stability faults, but will not cause the "Failsafe" message.

The 1121 and 1122 have me a bit concerned. I would sweep the TPS and see if it's a smooth sweep.

6.12 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor
The throttle body has an APP sensor consisting of twin potentiometers which provide separate analogue input signals, proportional to driver demand to the ECM.
As a further safety feature, the two potentiometers have different input/output characteristics for unique signal identifications and any corrupt signal between the
expected outputs will cause the ECM to switch the throttle to limp home mode.
Both inputs to the ECM are checked for out of range conditions and for rationality with each other.
The out of range check monitors the sensor outputs for voltages outside of the expected operating range. If an out of range condition persists then an
appropriate failure is registered.
The rationality check compares the position of the two APP sensor inputs. If the difference in angle detected by the sensors is greater than the defined limit for
more than 0.4 seconds then a range/performance failure is registered.

You may have a CAN network issue. I would lift the vehicle and do a visual inspection of the harness to the transmission body as well.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
310-05.pdf (38.4 KB, 265 views)

Last edited by ServiceMasterD; 08-31-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

First, start with a fully charged known good battery.

By fully charged, I mean trickle charged for 48 hours. Seriously.