General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

head liner repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Question head liner repair

I first encountered the rear drooping headliner problem with my 85 xj6 some years ago. As that car was show room quality and used in a few magazine shoots....i thought little of replacing the headliner.....at the time over 400 bucks as i recall.

These days and with the internet and u-tube....i started researching ways of making this repair myself....on a 2000 xj base i bought about six months ago....i recently noticed the headliner was beginning to sag....and it got worse with the heat spell we had here in the northeast about a month ago.

i ran across a few self repair videos on u-tube.....the trick was finding the correct pins to do the job.So for those who want to go this route rather than removing the headliner from the window and replacing with new....i strongly rx....trying twist pins.

however, the twist pins must have squigly pig tails . 0ne product i found is made by dritz home products...simply called "twist pins"and purchased at joanns (retail store specializing in fabric and upholstery needs).

the pins are or have a clear plastic head....six bucks for 30 pins.....also key is patience and proper spacing of the pins. If done properly you will get a pretty good repair with a tufted look....you can also spray paint the clear plastic pin heads tan or grey to blend in better with the color of the fabric itself.

now if you don't like the look of the repair you can always have the headliner redone.....
i would be interested in members who have tried this approach....with what success and satisfaction//////jagjunky